Going to gift my iphone 5s to my neice, questions

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am still comfortable with my 4s on 5.1.1 so I am using this opportunity to gift my 5s which I ordered through ATT to my neice.

I have a question regarding activating the phone. Can I just take it as is, wrapped etc, and give it to my neice? Will she able to simply pick up a micro sim at ATT and use it?

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 5s requires a nano-SIM; these are different then micro-SIM. I think she is able to if you bought the device at full retail price without service.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I actually got it through a 2 year contract. I have no use for the 5s since I'm using my 4s. I thought it was going to be a cheaper way to get her a 5s. Are you saying she won't be able to use it because I got it through contract?

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I am still comfortable with my 4s on 5.1.1 so I am using this opportunity to gift my 5s which I ordered through ATT to my neice.

I have a question regarding activating the phone. Can I just take it as is, wrapped etc, and give it to my neice? Will she able to simply pick up a micro sim at ATT and use it?

Can I be your niece?

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually got it through a 2 year contract. I have no use for the 5s since I'm using my 4s. I thought it was going to be a cheaper way to get her a 5s. Are you saying she won't be able to use it because I got it through contract?

You are stuck with a contract unless you return the phone and cancel within return window. You can gift the phone to her, but you will still have to pay for term of contract or ETFs. if she is going to use it on your new line with contract, that's a different story- then you're fine.

Last edited:

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind spending the upgrade it's fine. The phone is yours you can put anyone's sim in and they can use it without any problem.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Can I be your niece?

Haha

You are stuck with a contract unless you return the phone and cancel within return window. You can gift the phone to her, but you will still have to pay for term of contract or ETFs. if she is going to use it on your new line with contract, that's a different story- then you're fine.

She has her own contract on ATT so I won't be paying for that. I don't mind having a contract, ATT suits me well in my area.

If you don't mind spending the upgrade it's fine. The phone is yours you can put anyone's sim in and they can use it without any problem.

Alright, thats good. Do I have to activate it first with ATT before I gift it to her? From what I heard I have to activate it over the phone with my SSN and zip code?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
No. When the phone arrives, have your niece take it to an AT&T store to have new SIM card installed and activated for her line. B/C if you activate it, ur 4S will deactivate and then u have to get 2 phones redone for use again.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure they will let you buy it for the on contract price and then transfer it to your niece who seems to be on her own plan. You may have to pay the ETF to do that.

I don’t think there will be an issue. If he upgrades, he will be bound by the terms (renewed contract). He can go smash the phone with a hammer for all AT&T cares... they sold a phone and got a contract renewal.

The niece can use any phone she chooses, but IF she’s under contract she must satisfy the requirements of that contract.

Regarding moving phones around, we do it all the time. We have 7 family members under contract with AT&T on different family plans. I still get the new device and pass my old one (my year old device) to the family member with the oldest model...

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone.

She has has her own contract with her parents. Can she just take it to an ATT store and simply get a new sim card? Will they let her activate it or do I have to activate it before I give it to her? I'm getting instructions from ATT that I have to activate it before I use it. I am assuming that in order for her to use the phone, it will have to be activated under me first?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone.

She has has her own contract with her parents. Can she just take it to an ATT store and simply get a new sim card? Will they let her activate it or do I have to activate it before I give it to her? I'm getting instructions from ATT that I have to activate it before I use it. I am assuming that in order for her to use the phone, it will have to be activated under me first?

You may have to activate it on your account first - and AT&T typically will assist/make you do that before you leave the store ... but you most definitely can gift the phone to her.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner