Interesting article on 5S gold shortage.

jaywill27

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
That's easy to explain because gold is new and people wanna get the golden one that people see that they have the iPhone 5s. Also Apple plays a big part of it because people talking about it when it's sold out

Celandine

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the guy at Best Buy explaining the shortage and demand as the gold iPhone represents how Apple is "golden" in the public's eyes. Hence the mad craving.

I just nodded as I wasn't entirely sure on that comment. :tongue:

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think that the gold 5s was going to be so rare and wanted. I personally don't like the look if it at all.

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
The gold is really subtle. I was at the apple store yesterday and wasn't convinced I was looking at the gold iPhone until I grabbed a silver one to compare side by side.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, it was some gimmick on the part of Apple. In an attempt to fool the masses. It is ironic, since most that love apple would usually question big business. But for some reason, no one ever questions what apple does.

I live in the DC metro area. I didnt get to my local ATT store until 10am. I walked in, there were about 10 people in the store. I asked if they had any iphones left and to my surprise, the sales person said yes. He told me they only got about 100 and they still had plenty left. He said they only got the gray model.

I then see the article on this site, about the guy that paid $1500 for a gold version from the store in Miami. All of those people, and only 3 gold for the entire store????

In my opinion, Apple tried to fool the masses and they only fooled the fanboys. They intentionally kept supply low, did not have a pre order and wanted to be able to say they sold out. For some reason, they think that makes them look like a great company. But it makes them look like another year went by, and they still haven't figured out how to determine the number needed for opening week.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple's Gold iPhone 5S Shortage - Business Insider

Short on real facts but insightful.

There is no way that Apple would not be able to gauge the interest in the gold 5S and there is no real reason (at least none that are apparent) the phone could not have been produced in larger quantities.

What facts were they short on? They listed a few stores and the quantity that the store was supplied with. Do you have other information to dispute this?

KJD209

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
What facts was he short on?
US Market analysis
European Market analysis
Asian Market analysis
Complete stock numbers
Online availability
Number of buyers who wanted and purchased (day one) gold iPhones
After (secondary) Market availability. ie Ebay, Craigslist

To name of few

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Suspect the article is accurate.

So what? Nothing is the matter with marketing tricks.

In a couple of months, everything will be available -- Apple won't pull what Google did with the Nexus 4...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That's easy to explain because gold is new and people wanna get the golden one that people see that they have the iPhone 5s. Also Apple plays a big part of it because people talking about it when it's sold out

The Space Gray is also new. Doesn’t that also show people that you have an iPhone 5S?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods