Apple's Gold iPhone 5S Shortage - Business Insider

Short on real facts but insightful.

There is no way that Apple would not be able to gauge the interest in the gold 5S and there is no real reason (at least none that are apparent) the phone could not have been produced in larger quantities.
    GibMcFragger likes this.
    09-21-2013 12:49 PM
    Interesting, indeed. Thanks for sharing it with us...
    09-21-2013 01:05 PM
    That's easy to explain because gold is new and people wanna get the golden one that people see that they have the iPhone 5s. Also Apple plays a big part of it because people talking about it when it's sold out
    09-21-2013 10:52 PM

There is no way that Apple would not be able to gauge the interest in the gold 5S and there is no real reason (at least none that are apparent) the phone could not have been produced in larger quantities.
    I'd agree with the "short on facts" part of it anyway. I wouldn't say Business Insider is a good source of news. They are just speculating.
    09-22-2013 10:12 AM
    I had the guy at Best Buy explaining the shortage and demand as the gold iPhone represents how Apple is "golden" in the public's eyes. Hence the mad craving.

I just nodded as I wasn't entirely sure on that comment.
    09-22-2013 10:23 AM
    I didn't think that the gold 5s was going to be so rare and wanted. I personally don't like the look if it at all.
    09-22-2013 10:49 AM
    The gold is really subtle. I was at the apple store yesterday and wasn't convinced I was looking at the gold iPhone until I grabbed a silver one to compare side by side.
    09-22-2013 11:28 AM
    In my opinion, it was some gimmick on the part of Apple. In an attempt to fool the masses. It is ironic, since most that love apple would usually question big business. But for some reason, no one ever questions what apple does.

I live in the DC metro area. I didnt get to my local ATT store until 10am. I walked in, there were about 10 people in the store. I asked if they had any iphones left and to my surprise, the sales person said yes. He told me they only got about 100 and they still had plenty left. He said they only got the gray model.

I then see the article on this site, about the guy that paid $1500 for a gold version from the store in Miami. All of those people, and only 3 gold for the entire store????

In my opinion, Apple tried to fool the masses and they only fooled the fanboys. They intentionally kept supply low, did not have a pre order and wanted to be able to say they sold out. For some reason, they think that makes them look like a great company. But it makes them look like another year went by, and they still haven't figured out how to determine the number needed for opening week.
    09-22-2013 11:48 AM

What facts were they short on? They listed a few stores and the quantity that the store was supplied with. Do you have other information to dispute this?
    09-22-2013 11:53 AM
    i was told my att that they only got 10 gold i5s. which sucks.
    09-22-2013 12:37 PM
    What facts was he short on?
    US Market analysis
    European Market analysis
    Asian Market analysis
    Complete stock numbers
    Online availability
    Number of buyers who wanted and purchased (day one) gold iPhones
    After (secondary) Market availability. ie Ebay, Craigslist

To name of few
    09-22-2013 12:51 PM
    you must be in a major market. My store received only gray. And I live just outside of DC
    09-23-2013 08:00 AM
    Suspect the article is accurate.

So what? Nothing is the matter with marketing tricks.

In a couple of months, everything will be available -- Apple won't pull what Google did with the Nexus 4...
    09-23-2013 08:17 AM
    That's easy to explain because gold is new and people wanna get the golden one that people see that they have the iPhone 5s. Also Apple plays a big part of it because people talking about it when it's sold out
    The Space Gray is also new. Doesn’t that also show people that you have an iPhone 5S?
    09-23-2013 06:43 PM
    Well meaning is that gold nobody has and people won't see space grey or black looks for some non geeks all the same
    09-25-2013 07:56 PM