Is activation of a T-Mobile 5s not possible on another carrier?

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I just spoke with an Apple sales rep, and they told me I may be forced to activate my new iPhone 5s on T-Mobile. I don't want to do this. I thought these were unlocked? I want to use it with Aio wireless. I thought unlocked meant I could use the iPhone anywhere. As anyone activated an iPhone that was unlocked but meant for T-Mobile on another carrier?

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I just spoke with a T-Mobile rep, and they told me there should be no issue in activation. They also confirmed all T-Mobile iPhone's being sold directly through Apple are always unlocked.

anon(5828343)

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I just spoke with a T-Mobile rep, and they told me there should be no issue in activation. They also confirmed all T-Mobile iPhone's being sold directly through Apple are always unlocked.

Can you please confirm whether or not you were able to activate the T-mobile unlocked iPhone 5S on Aio? I got the same information from an Apple Store rep. They told me that while the T-mobile iPhone 5S was indeed unlocked, it was "carrier locked" in the U.S. (makes no sense to me).

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Can you please confirm whether or not you were able to activate the T-mobile unlocked iPhone 5S on Aio? I got the same information from an Apple Store rep. They told me that while the T-mobile iPhone 5S was indeed unlocked, it was "carrier locked" in the U.S. (makes no sense to me).

I ordered my iPhone 5s from Apple.com right when the store went live last night. I'll definitely post back when I get it. But as I said above the T-Mobile rep did say it will work, so I don't know who to believe, Apple or T-Mobile. I'm leaning towards that the T-Mobile rep is correct as the Apple rep told me to contact then about service questions like this one, as Apple doesn't have this information.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I ordered my iPhone 5s from Apple.com right when the store went live last night. I'll definitely post back when I get it. But as I said above the T-Mobile rep did say it will work, so I don't know who to believe, Apple or T-Mobile. I'm leaning towards that the T-Mobile rep is correct as the Apple rep told me to contact then about service questions like this one, as Apple doesn't have this information.

Same thing when I went to the Apple they only had Space Gray and when I asked about the t-mobile phone being unlocked the guy said they were only off contract and I was like no on the website it says they're unlocked so I'm confused.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Same thing when I went to the Apple they only had Space Gray and when I asked about the t-mobile phone being unlocked the guy said they were only off contract and I was like no on the website it says they're unlocked so I'm confused.

Apple has changed their website and it no longer says unlocked. Instead it reads as "T-Mobile contract-free".

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking this up, and people who got them in store have been saying that they are indeed unlocked. They have said they used AT&T SIM cards without issue, and did activate with it.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Apple has changed their website and it no longer says unlocked. Instead it reads as "T-Mobile contract-free".

Yes, but it also says when traveling abroad you can place any Nano SIM for a local carrier and it will just work...

If you buy iPhone for T-Mobile, it will arrive with a nano-SIM card already installed that you can activate by visiting an Apple Retail Store or a T-Mobile store or by calling T-Mobile. When you travel internationally, you can use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5s from a local GSM carrier. For details on LTE support, see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but it also says when traveling abroad you can place any Nano SIM for a local carrier and it will just work...

I understand this. I was simply responding to the post that I quoted above in regards to the wording on the site.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I understand this. I was simply responding to the post that I quoted above in regards to the wording on the site.

Now I understand :D, btw also they same with the iPad. I got my iPad from the US, and it is unlocked. I didn't even need to activate my AT&T SIM.
iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular can roam worldwide on GSM/UMTS networks. In countries without compatible LTE networks, iPad mini will operate on GSM network technologies such as HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA. When you travel internationally, you can use a nano-SIM card from a local carrier.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Aren't the phones only locked if you get them on contract or since both models have all the Bands you can use any SIM card?

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Carrier locked iPhone 5c and 5s models are available for sale directly from T-Mobile. All iPhones sold by Apple with pre-installed T-Mobile SIMs are contract-free, so they're _not_ carrier locked, though they do ship with a T-Mobile SIM preinstalled. That's why they cost the full price of the phone, not a carrier-subsidized price. The phones you buy through T-Mobile stores and through the T-Mobile web site at the lower price are, indeed, carrier-locked.

I bought an 32GB iPhone 5s with a T-Mobile SIM preinstalled from the Apple Store on Friday. It cost $749. It is unlocked. If I remove the SIM, I can use it AT&T, AIO, Straight Talk and any other PAYG GSM-compatible service with the appropriate SIM installed.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Carrier locked iPhone 5c and 5s models are available for sale directly from T-Mobile. All iPhones sold by Apple with pre-installed T-Mobile SIMs are contract-free, so they're _not_ carrier locked, though they do ship with a T-Mobile SIM preinstalled. That's why they cost the full price of the phone, not a carrier-subsidized price. The phones you buy through T-Mobile stores and through the T-Mobile web site at the lower price are, indeed, carrier-locked.

I bought an 32GB iPhone 5s with a T-Mobile SIM preinstalled from the Apple Store on Friday. It cost $749. It is unlocked. If I remove the SIM, I can use it AT&T, AIO, Straight Talk and any other PAYG GSM-compatible service with the appropriate SIM installed.

Thanks for clearing that up Peter! When I went to the Apple store Friday one of the employees told me the T-Mobile weren't unlocked just contract free.

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up Peter! When I went to the Apple store Friday one of the employees told me the T-Mobile weren't unlocked just contract free.

This is what I was told at the Apple Store as well. However, 3 different Apple reps from the online store confirmed they were unlocked.

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Although it's already answered, I said I'd post back when I got my 5s. Well I have my T-Mobile Unlocked 5s in hand that I purchased from Apple.com, and I have it running on AT&T with no problem. I can confirm that it was unlocked, and accepted the AT&T SIM without any issues.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner