Apple was not prepared!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I was number one at my local store even filled out the paper that asked what color I wanted and then was told after we have no gold

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I think apple couldn't be prepared as well as they'd like because they had at least two new markets one in japan and the other in china and it spread the phone supply very thin. I think they should have staggered the market to that more supplies would be available for each market, but is what it is.

that said I got my 5S. I got up at 4 in the morning and caught the bus, and was at an apple store by 6 AM. 89 people were in front of me.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Also, I think with no preorders like usually that is why the increased lines and also may have left some uncertainty about how much demand there would be.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Apple does amazing research into demographics all year round. Perhaps your VZW or AT&T store got only a token amount of new iPhones. Research suggested that people in your area wouldn't be buying. OTOH, research showed that certain other areas sold out everything in two hours the last 3 releases, so they were sent more supply.

That's how it works. Just because you think you live in a major metropolitan area, the rest of the world may see it differently.

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Apple does amazing research into demographics all year round. Perhaps your VZW or AT&T store got only a token amount of new iPhones. Research suggested that people in your area wouldn't be buying. OTOH, research showed that certain other areas sold out everything in two hours the last 3 releases, so they were sent more supply.

That's how it works. Just because you think you live in a major metropolitan area, the rest of the world may see it differently.

I would say the Memphis/Germantown, TN area is large enough to justify more than one 64gb Gold iPhone... Just saying...

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I know my Verizon store had over 500 new devices just not gold ones yet. I think that a good inventory. Also walmart had over 20 devices in my area.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Or lack of supply... It was reported on multiple sites in many stores they had less than 5 units. Of course it is going to sell out with that small of supply in stores. Even android devices would sell out with that amount of supply lol

At the launch of the iPhone 3G my local AT&T store had 9 total units. At the launch of the iPhone 4 my local Best Buy had 6 total units.

This is not new. If you can't handle having your dreams of owning an iPhone on launch day being crushed then you aren't fit the game. You can join me on the sidelines if you want. In a few weeks there will be iPhones for all.

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I see a lot of statements here about the number of iPhone 5s that were around for today. The VERY common undertone that I keep seeing repeat is that Apple some how did it on purpose. I very much doubt that they wanted to have low stock (which I do believe was the case, that for the 5s they had fewer than they wanted). However, none of us work at the factory as far as I know, and if you do, please speak up and tell us all how Apple was hiding some secret stock pile of 5s just to cause low numbers on launch day.

Re read that last sentence again, and maybe it will come across as the utterly insane idea that it is. There is not some secret stock, they didn't short change and stores, they sent what they could to the stores they could. Apple is not all powerful, and they have interests, even with billions in the bank. They can't wag a magic wand and fix what was most likely a supply issue with some part (what part, not a clue, could be any number of things), nor are they going to dump millions or billions in to new factories or some other nonsense just to cover the launch day surge, just to have them sit idle in a month when demand slows down, that wouldn't be financially practical. As for the statements that they should of changed the launch day, also highly doubtful. Apple plans things like that way out, and I don't see Apple as the type of company to just change a launch date last min.

Ok, so the iPhone 5s is at a bit lower level than ideal, too bad. I still think by January, you will be able to go to any store and get which ever you want, AKA, it will work out at some point. In the mean time, they are, and will continue to stamp out the 5c, and it will sell, and Apple will be sitting pretty, and could not care less if the tech minded minority have to wait a few weeks or months for a 5s.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
At the launch of the iPhone 3G my local AT&T store had 9 total units. At the launch of the iPhone 4 my local Best Buy had 6 total units.

This is not new. If you can't handle having your dreams of owning an iPhone on launch day being crushed then you aren't fit the game. You can join me on the sidelines if you want. In a few weeks there will be iPhones for all.

When you play the Game of Phones you go home happy or you cry!

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think in that case it being apple and all they should have ramped up production a little sooner or pushed it back another week or two to have more stock.

Because it's Apple, if they did do this people still wouldn't be happy. They'd complain about having to wait too long for it to be released.

Last edited:

tewest86

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
One local Best Buy in my area got NO AT&T iPhones in which was strange. They usually get in more Att units than any other carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
All I know is that I showed up at my carrier at 8am. Walked out by 830 with a 64gb black 5s. At work by 9. Piece of cake.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
One local Best Buy in my area got NO AT&T iPhones in which was strange. They usually get in more Att units than any other carrier.

The Best Buy that I went to said they only got 2 iPhone 5S's for Sprint. They mostly had ones for Verizon and AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Not if the demand for this model isn't there.

Since there is not another Apple store for 200 miles there should be sufficient demand for more than 1 of each model. How on earth could you say there wouldn't be demand for more than 1 of each model even if there were another store 50 miles away? That just does not make sense in my opinion...

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, I wast there, lol. :D

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

Neither was I; I live about 3 states and 500 miles away! :laughing:

I do agree with diaz2010 though that an area like that should warrant more than 1 gold 64GB iPhone 5s. If the first 2 in line both wanted it, there undoubtedly were many more behind them that did too. Of course, Apple didn't know who would be in line and what they'd want, but with their demographics research I'm surprised they didn't have more available. Maybe the supply was short enough of that precise phone that 1 was all they could spare for that particular store.

Either way, I don't think I would settle for anything other than what I was after if it can be had by waiting a couple weeks. Most users will use the phone they got for the next 2 years. Is it worth compromising to get it a couple weeks earlier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2