Apple was not prepared!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There were several articles regarding a shortage of the ID sensor assembly.

Also, why was there no pre-ordering of the 5s.

Something doesn't smell right. lol.

I am more curious then anything else as the shortage luckily didn't affect me getting a phone. Of course the 1st time I actually have a upgrade available when the phone is launched they don't allow pre-ordering. Never fails. lol ;)

So now it’s a full-blown conspiracy against YOU?

Wow. I can’t even respond.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's about some form of miscalculation that resulted in stores not getting enough supplies. You can argue that fact as much as you want but this year they sent out less units to stores compared to previous years. Verdict : NOT PREPARED.

The fact of the matter is that there are NEVER enough Apple products on launch day. No matter how many they manage to get to the retail outlets, demand will ALWAYS exceed supply. It’s been that way for every iPhone and iPad product launch since the first one.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i mean they should have had more of the 5s and they are never prepared because then they wouldnt run out so fast!

The problem with this (^^^^^^) is that since the very first iPhone launch, they have NEVER had enough iPhones or iPads to meet the demand on launch day.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think getting up earlier would've made a difference. In fact I know it didn't cause I was up at 2:55 and kept hitting refresh till right at 3:00 when it went on line. By 3:02 I had it in my cart and as I went to check out the delivery date had changed from 1-3 business day had changed to 7-10.

You lost me. Because the delivery date slipped while the product was launching, you passed on it? The date slipping is nothing more than an indication of the great demand.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
You lost me. Because the delivery date slipped while the product was launching, you passed on it? The date slipping is nothing more than an indication of the great demand.

I thought since they pushed it back till October online , I'll just head to local AT&T store in the morning and pick one up there.
But didn't know that AT&T would get ZERO 64gbs
Great demand AND low supplies is the cause of later delivery date ;)

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
The fact of the matter is that there are NEVER enough Apple products on launch day. No matter how many they manage to get to the retail outlets, demand will ALWAYS exceed supply. It’s been that way for every iPhone and iPad product launch since the first one.

Yes they always run out. But read on other sources that report that this year the total quantity of supplies was very low. No one says they'd be able to cover every single order but if they have sent out the same amount of iPhone 5 they did last year at launch , more people would have had them at launch.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple dropped the ball on this launch. It seems they put the cart in front of the horse. How can you launch a product and have such a small supply?

I would be so angry if I waited in line and walked away empty handed! Then have to wait weeks to get it in the mail.
Pretty sure they planned this that way. What better publicity after their stock has been getting destroyed than to make it seem like there is an incredibly overwhelming demand when the true fact is they just didn't have much stock for the launch

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Are you serious?? TBA was not saying that at all. Don't take everything you read so seriously. People do make jokes.

Anyway, I'm quite disappointed that I wasn't able to get my iPhone today, but it's hard to say how prepared/unprepared they were ....

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Pretty sure they planned this that way. What better publicity after their stock has been getting destroyed than to make it seem like there is an incredibly overwhelming demand when the true fact is they just didn't have much stock for the launch

I don't think that's how they planned it. They don't just go for the sold out thing. They could've released another million units and they still would've sold out. I honestly think they didn't think production would fall behind cause of the ID sensors.
They will still make big bucks. Just have to wait a bit longer for the second and third wave ( shipments )

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Or lack of supply... It was reported on multiple sites in many stores they had less than 5 units. Of course it is going to sell out with that small of supply in stores. Even android devices would sell out with that amount of supply lol

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that's how they planned it. They don't just go for the sold out thing. They could've released another million units and they still would've sold out. I honestly think they didn't think production would fall behind cause of the ID sensors.
They will still make big bucks. Just have to wait a bit longer for the second and third wave ( shipments )

I think in that case it being apple and all they should have ramped up production a little sooner or pushed it back another week or two to have more stock.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I disagree that Apple dropped the ball with this launch. People wait in lines every single year on launch day for the new iPhone. Some will wait hours and be lucky enough to walk away with one, while others will get close but end up getting turned away when supplies run out or the store that they went to no longer has the one that they wanted. This year is no different than any other year except for the fact that there was no preorder for this new iPhone as there have been in the past.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro..

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think getting up earlier would've made a difference. In fact I know it didn't cause I was up at 2:55 and kept hitting refresh till right at 3:00 when it went on line. By 3:02 I had it in my cart and as I went to check out the delivery date had changed from 1-3 business day had changed to 7-10.

Agree, I was up at 2:45 and by the time I checked out the date had already slipped a few days and only increased throughout the day.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I disagree that Apple dropped the ball with this launch. People wait in lines every single year on launch day for the new iPhone. Some will wait hours and be lucky enough to walk away with one, while others will get close but end up getting turned away when supplies run out or the store that they went to no longer has the one that they wanted. This year is no different than any other year except for the fact that there was no preorder for this new iPhone as there have been in the past.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro..

This year was different ONLY because they sent out a lot less quantities of supplies to the stores.
They didn't drop the ball in their own eyes cause they sold out and they'll still sell more as more shipments arrive.
In consumers eyes specially those like me who didn't get one simply cause they sent puny little shipments to carriers , the dropped the ball.
This has nothing to do with how great their products sell. They weren't as prepared as previous years.

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I got in line at 6 AM. Prob the 60th person. Gold was out in 2 minutes, silver the next 10. I was afraid of being SOL so I got the black. My friend calls me at 4 oclock saying best buy still has silvers.... WTF

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Anyone who missed the boat should've gotten up earlier.

There is one problem with this line of reasoning, I was in line at the Apple Store in Germantown, TN at 2:00PM Thursday. I was second in line and was told that I would be able to get a gold 64gb phone, I even got the card that "supposedly" guaranteed this. When I got into the store they only had one of these and the first person in line bought it. So don't tell me that I should have gotten their earlier Apple definitely dropped the ball on this launch, and Steve would be ashamed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No company can predict exactly how many people will show up to purchase their products. The best they can hope for is to get as close to an estimate based on past opening day sales and recent interest polls. People have always stood in line, and will continue to do so to be among the first to get something, whether it is for Apple products, concert tickets, major sporting events, bak-to-school sales or Black Friday, and there will always be people who are not able to get what they came for on that specific day. Therefore, to say that Apple was not prepared is debatable. They were indeed prepared to sell a boatload of iPhones, and they have done just that. To add to that, Apple will sell a boatload more when its stock is refreshed. A year from now, the same thing will happen again...:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods