Apple was not prepared!

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
From All Things D:

"Carrier sources told AllThingsD earlier this week that they expected the 5s to be in extremely short supply, with one source describing their inventory situation as “grotesquely unavailable.”"

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Why do journalists get to define "grossly undersupplied"? How much of this is being sensationalized for purposes of linkbait? It's been pretty much common knowledge that on product launches in the past, Apple sells through what they had on hand in short order - and they eventually catch up with demand... it happened pretty quick with the 5S, and 5C - especially certain color variants. Que sera sera.

Then who the heck does?apples certainly not going to be forthright with their manufacturing numbers. Journalists and media are only thing we have to go on. And when you have every news source saying pretty much the same thing,chances are its true.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You know, when you start seeing some of the same faces that pop up every now and then to spike these kinds of threads with traffic...you have to just step away and let the trolling run it's course.

Apple not prepared? lol...not prepared for what, the absolute thrashing their supply of iPhone's would take because, like every year, it sells like hot cakes? Give me a break, Apple was fully prepared, and expecting this. The popularity these devices have overshadows other devices, so you don't see these kinds of releases with Samsung products or LG products or Blackberry products. But apparently, Apple is always doing something wrong huh?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You know, when you start seeing some of the same faces that pop up every now and then to spike these kinds of threads with traffic...you have to just step away and let the trolling run it's course.

Apple not prepared? lol...not prepared for what, the absolute thrashing their supply of iPhone's would take because, like every year, it sells like hot cakes? Give me a break, Apple was fully prepared, and expecting this. The popularity these devices have overshadows other devices, so you don't see these kinds of releases with Samsung products or LG products or Blackberry products. But apparently, Apple is always doing something wrong huh?
Don't forget about that big Galaxy Note 3 launch coming soon. Fasten your seat belts, boys and girls....
:laughing::rotfl:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Then who the heck does?apples certainly not going to be forthright with their manufacturing numbers. Journalists and media are only thing we have to go on. And when you have every news source saying pretty much the same thing,chances are its true.
The media LIE. All the time. I trust the media even less than I trust politicians.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The beauty of this is that nobody is arguing that there are shortages...OF COURSE THERE IS...there are shortages every single year! LOL!

The real issue is where you try to find fault in Apple on the shortages...did you expect them to create an iPhone for every man, woman and child that COULD order one? Who realistically thinks this? Come on people, use your noggins here, we have supply shortages because the iPhone is flying off the shelves because that is what happens on the release day. Stop trying to spin it into some kind of "problem" that Apple needs to address...they are sitting back counting dollars and smiling right now, because there IS no problem.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Everyone saying they dropped the ball you have to understand that what you saw is not indicative of all Apple stores. I'm in Toronto and this launch by far was WAYYYYYYYYYYY better than my first experience waiting in line for an Apple device. I waited in line for the iPhone 4 and I was there for 8 hours until I finally got my phone. Now contrast that with my experience today. I walked into the same mall at around 11AM. I thought for sure there was no supply but they had the model I wanted. The lines were about 1/50th of the size of the one I waited in for my iPhone 4. They handed people tickets in line after checking the color and storage size of the model you wanted. Then they seperated the lines into factory unlocked and carrier locked. I was out of there with my iPhone 5s in one hour. Compare that to the 8 hour wait I had to get my iPhone 4 or the 2 week wait I had to get my iPhone 5. I can say without certainty that this was the best launch from what I experienced. So it is not one experience that is the whole picture. I'm sure there are others with stories of experience that are just as good and others who went through hell.

I walked away empty handed when I bought my original iPhone on launch day (arrived in the mail 3 days later). I walked away empty handed when I bought my iPhone 3G on launch day (picked up at store 1 week later). I walked away empty handed when I bought my iPhone 4 on launch day (picked up at store 1 week later). This is not new. I got my iPhone 5 NOT on launch day and guess what...I walked out the door with my new iPhone.

This is pretty much how every iPhone launch has gone.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of Apple's demise are greatly exaggerated. We go through this "Apple can?t handle the demand" every time they launch a product. This routinely follows the grossly exaggerated reports that what ever new product Apple announces is flawed, disappoints, and is a sign that they can no longer innovate.

Which is it? Their products ALWAYS sell out. If they didn?t, THAT would be news. But to say after weeks of projecting doom and gloom for Apple based on a "non-innovative" product announcement that when there are lines, and product sells out and people do go home empty handed that they some how screwed the pooch just doesn?t cut it.

Pick one. Either they announced and sell blase products that are not innovative and don?t excite, or they sell great stuff and can?t possible manufacture enough to have it on hand for every customer.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Flying off the shelf! LMAO!!! it has to be on the shelf to fly off it. lol...

I just am shocked that they short changed retailers with little to no supply. Again this is soley based on what I have been reading in the news and forums and could be totally BS.

I just am thanking my lucky stars that I ordered online instead of waiting in line.

Just to put it out there I don't "troll" as I love Apple and pretty much everything in my home revolves around apple products. Macs, iPhones, Apple TV etc. Went down the android path many years ago only because verizon didn't have the iphone. That is one nightmare I don't want to relive. lol

And perhaps it's just the fact that there were no pre-orders that caused the huge shortage. But than again I would love to know the reason to not have pre-orders on the 5s to begin with.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Flying off the shelf! LMAO!!! it has to be on the shelf to fly off it. lol...

I just am shocked that they short changed retailers with little to no supply. Again this is soley based on what I have been reading in the news and forums and could be totally BS.

I just am thanking my lucky stars that I ordered online instead of waiting in line.

Just to put it out there I don't "troll" as I love Apple and pretty much everything in my home revolves around apple products. Macs, iPhones, Apple TV etc. Went down the android path many years ago only because verizon didn't have the iphone. That is one nightmare I don't want to relive. lol

And perhaps it's just the fact that there were no pre-orders that caused the huge shortage. But than again I would love to know the reason to not have pre-orders on the 5s to begin with.

There's literally no point in having a conversation with you because regardless of what is presented to you, you revert back to a supposed "issue" that Apple has. Surprisingly, this being the 6th and 7th iPhone to hit the market, you're still trying to figure out a way to make Apple seem less illustrious than they are when their product is literally FLOODING the market because of popularity and preference.

You're trying to assign "blame" on success...it's such an odd thing to observe, and for the life of me, for someone who supposedly represents a "love" for Apple products, you sure are fighting tooth and nail to find fault in this.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I walked away empty handed when I bought my original iPhone on launch day (arrived in the mail 3 days later). I walked away empty handed when I bought my iPhone 3G on launch day (picked up at store 1 week later). I walked away empty handed when I bought my iPhone 4 on launch day (picked up at store 1 week later). This is not new. I got my iPhone 5 NOT on launch day and guess what...I walked out the door with my new iPhone.

No one is trolling.
The fact that they sell like hotcakes should have made them realize that they should send more supplies to the stores.

Maybe they underestimated how many people who just bought a new 5 last year would still shell up full price and get the 5s

When store managers complain about supply (compared to previous years) then you know it's more than just people wanting to *****&complain or troll.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No one is trolling.
The fact that they sell like hotcakes should have made them realize that they should send more supplies to the stores.

Maybe they underestimated how many people who just bought a new 5 last year would still shell up full price and get the 5s

When store managers complain about supply (compared to previous years) then you know it's more than just people wanting to *****&complain or troll.

It's nothing more than trolling. Especially in this case, where the same scenario is playing out before your eyes that we see every year and yet, for some reason, people want to find FAULT with Apple as if they made a mistake. Store managers are complaining about supply because they are getting overwhelmed with demand...how the hell is this a problem for Apple? LOL! They are selling their product so fast that Apple can't keep up...any of the other manufacturers would KILL to have this "problem" on release day.

Seriously guys, how many different ways can you try to find fault with Apple because their product is a major success? Give it a rest!

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site

It's nothing more than trolling. Especially in this case, where the same scenario is playing out before your eyes that we see every year and yet, for some reason, people want to find FAULT with Apple as if they made a mistake. Store managers are complaining about supply because they are getting overwhelmed with demand...how the hell is this a problem for Apple? LOL! They are selling their product so fast that Apple can't keep up...any of the other manufacturers would KILL to have this "problem" on release day.

Seriously guys, how many different ways can you try to find fault with Apple because their product is a major success? Give it a rest!

Show me where I complained about 5, 4s 4 and any other releases. ;)
I simply state the fact that Apple didn't send enough supplies to the stores.
Of course I knew they would sell bunch of them.
The store managers are stating Facts that they got less units than last year.
It's easy to sell out when you don't send out many units but I don't think that's what Apple was going for cause the don't need to play that game to sell out. These phones sell no matter what. Just wish they would've sent 64gb units to more carrier stores.
But I was also hoping to get one on release date. A 64gb , grey or gold. But no luck.
I will not give up though. I will find one somewhere in some small town stores much like I found the iPad 3 when it was sold out ;)

If you're gonna label any kind of criticism and opinion as trolling then you're as bad as the "trolls" ;-)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Show me where I complained about 5, 4s 4 and any other releases. ;)
I simply state the fact that Apple didn't send enough supplies to the stores.
Of course I knew they would sell bunch of them.
The store managers are stating Facts that they got less units than last year.
It's easy to sell out when you don't send out many units but I don't think that's what Apple was going for cause the don't need to play that game to sell out. These phones sell no matter what. Just wish they would've sent 64gb units to more carrier stores.
But I was also hoping to get one on release date. A 64gb , grey or gold. But no luck.
I will not give up though. I will find one somewhere in some small town stores much like I found the iPad 3 when it was sold out ;)

If you're gonna label any kind of criticism and opinion as trolling then you're as bad as the "trolls" ;-)

Apple has the same overwhelming success they do every year with the iPhone, running out of stock because people flock to the stores and buy every last one that is there.

When you try to find fault in that, you are trolling...one of the defined aspects of trolling is a cynical approach to an otherwise normal scenario. Apple has enormous success...they must be doing something wrong somewhere, easy target? Lack of supply. Couldn't possibly be the positive side of demand, it has to be a "problem". It's the definition of trolling.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I can't have been the only person that waited for 6 hours (2 am to 8 am) less than 40th in line and ended up with no phone because I wasn't going to settle for not getting the specific color I wanted. I was even flexible on size. The majority of people in line did not get the color they wanted but were happy to settle just to get something. And this is at an Apple flagship store in a major city location. Until customers like me vote by walking Apple has no incentive to change.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't have been the only person that waited for 6 hours (2 am to 8 am) less than 40th in line and ended up with no phone because I wasn't going to settle for not getting the specific color I wanted. I was even flexible on size. The majority of people in line did not get the color they wanted but were happy to settle just to get something. And this is at an Apple flagship store in a major city location. Until customers like me vote by walking Apple has no incentive to change.

Quit kidding yourself...you're not walking anywhere, you'll be getting an iPhone as soon as the opportunity presents itself to you.

Why would Apple want to change enormous success? It's like saying that a restaurant should change because they fill up their reservations for a night and you couldn't just walk in and get a table during prime time. Oh, you didn't have a chance to get a reservation? Then show up earlier...or wait and eat there at a less crowded time. This is really simple here people, it's not some master plan by the company to just screw you over and make you jump ship to another device...it's demand overwhelming supply, again, something companies strive for in every facet.