Apple was not prepared!

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple dropped the ball on this launch. It seems they put the cart in front of the horse. How can you launch a product and have such a small supply?

I would be so angry if I waited in line and walked away empty handed! Then have to wait weeks to get it in the mail.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
But isn't this what we have been reading about for a few days and had been speculated about since the announcement of no pre order for the 5s? The lack of gold stock is disappointing but that aside it doesn't seem all that much different from any other release . At least in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I agree they dropped the ball. My experience was not the greatest, however, the management at the store did come through with a resolution to fix the problem. This launch was definitely not an experience Apple wants their customers to go through again.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Was there any speculated reason given to why apple dropped the ball on supply? Did they just want the sold out headlines?us that new A7 chip really hard to make? I'd figure by now they would learn that whenever they put out a new phone,people are going to want it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Everyone saying they dropped the ball you have to understand that what you saw is not indicative of all Apple stores. I'm in Toronto and this launch by far was WAYYYYYYYYYYY better than my first experience waiting in line for an Apple device. I waited in line for the iPhone 4 and I was there for 8 hours until I finally got my phone. Now contrast that with my experience today. I walked into the same mall at around 11AM. I thought for sure there was no supply but they had the model I wanted. The lines were about 1/50th of the size of the one I waited in for my iPhone 4. They handed people tickets in line after checking the color and storage size of the model you wanted. Then they seperated the lines into factory unlocked and carrier locked. I was out of there with my iPhone 5s in one hour. Compare that to the 8 hour wait I had to get my iPhone 4 or the 2 week wait I had to get my iPhone 5. I can say without certainty that this was the best launch from what I experienced. So it is not one experience that is the whole picture. I'm sure there are others with stories of experience that are just as good and others who went through hell.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I think Apple dropped the ball on this launch. It seems they put the cart in front of the horse. How can you launch a product and have such a small supply?

I would be so angry if I waited in line and walked away empty handed! Then have to wait weeks to get it in the mail.

I walked away empty handed when I bought my original iPhone on launch day (arrived in the mail 3 days later). I walked away empty handed when I bought my iPhone 3G on launch day (picked up at store 1 week later). I walked away empty handed when I bought my iPhone 4 on launch day (picked up at store 1 week later). This is not new. I got my iPhone 5 NOT on launch day and guess what...I walked out the door with my new iPhone.

This is pretty much how every iPhone launch has gone.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I walked away empty handed when I bought my original iPhone on launch day (arrived in the mail 3 days later). I walked away empty handed when I bought my iPhone 3G on launch day (picked up at store 1 week later). I walked away empty handed when I bought my iPhone 4 on launch day (picked up at store 1 week later). This is not new. I got my iPhone 5 NOT on launch day and guess what...I walked out the door with my new iPhone.

This is pretty much how every iPhone launch has gone.

I got to wonder, why are you still lining up? Lol

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe allocation of the different sizes was an issue, there was at least a dozen gray 64gb and like 6 silver 64gb at the verizon store I went to . I can't imagine that the 64 is going to be that hard to find . I could be wrong though

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Considering not a one of you know's how many units were moved today, the comments about low supplies are ridiculous.

Also, does anyone else find it odd that many of the same people we see throughout the year kicking up dust around the iMore forums are the same people here moaning and complaining about not being able to get an iPhone on launch day?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I think they were prepared for the markets that mattered for this specific launch, which was China. I told myself I was never going to do a launch day again, and yet I woke my **** up at 2am and got online.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Considering not a one of you know's how many units were moved today, the comments about low supplies are ridiculous.

Also, does anyone else find it odd that many of the same people we see throughout the year kicking up dust around the iMore forums are the same people here moaning and complaining about not being able to get an iPhone on launch day?

Wait so are the articles both here and on other media outlets about many stores not even receiving supply false?

Also, I had no intentions of receiving an iPhone 5s on launch as I was up at 3am to order a gold and a silver 5s that are being shipped on the 24th. Which I am very happy about.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I didn't make my way to an apple store, I went to verizon and this has been the best launch day ever for me. Wish they had gold but other than that it was fantastic . And aside from seeing the shipment dates get pushed back and knowing that the gold is hard to come by it don't see where Apple dropped the ball at all. I think they got it and ran with it. Honestly of your touchdown is every person getting exactly what they want on launch day with zero delays then I think you may have your expectations set a bit high

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Umm, it's pretty common knowledge now that they were grossly undersupplied. Read the number of articles not only here or else where online.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Umm, it's pretty common knowledge now that they were grossly undersupplied. Read the number of articles not only here or else where online.
Why do journalists get to define "grossly undersupplied"? How much of this is being sensationalized for purposes of linkbait? It's been pretty much common knowledge that on product launches in the past, Apple sells through what they had on hand in short order - and they eventually catch up with demand... it happened pretty quick with the 5S, and 5C - especially certain color variants. Que sera sera.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is my first time actually ordering at launch so this is new to me. I guess I am looking at this launch in a vacuum and not comparing it to past launches.

I guess my real question or concern is in the past launches was it common for retailers to not receive any supply of iPhones prior to launch?

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
It's not about how many units were moved around. It's the fact that many store managers that I talked too all morning say that they were surprised how low their supply was this year , specially since last year they didn't have to worry about all the people who preordered theirs and it was shipped to their homes. If anything apple should've sent MORE PHONES to the stores , knowing that many of those who (pre) ordered online last year , didn't want to wait four days.

A local att store that last year got 60 of each "flavor", this year got TEN 16 grey and TEN 32 Greys. Nothing else.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR