Who plans on enabling the finger print sensor?

Will you use the finger print sensor?

• Yes I will activate and use it.

Votes: 62 88.6%
  • No, I will not use it.

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters

tajaz11

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Activated it, if your worried about the government getting your finger print your to late. You've been printed in school, in some states drivers license, and people like me that has to much to drink and gets a drunk in public as few times!

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I am still worried that NSA might have backdoor access to the A7 processor causing them to be able to get my Fingerprint, and track me 24/7. I am also worried that the finger ID sensor might keep running even if I decide I do not want to use it and due to it's location there is no way you can avoid touching it. I am thinking of putting a thick sticker over the home button to make sure the finger ID will be blocked.

That will be the case with my 5S till some security companies investigate the 5S and tell us their final thoughts about how secure the Finger ID is.

You do understand that it uses radio frequency to read the print. It's not reading the outer dead skin print, but the living tissue print. Will someone please put a piece of tape or something over theirs and verify if it still works or not ?

I am not worried about Obama tracking me with this, I know he already is.

image.jpg

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I used it the first day and have since turned it off. It works without a hitch. My issue is that I have never used a passcode. So, for me, I like that if a message comes in I can just swipe it open and be in the message thread, or other things like that. This adds an extra step for me without adding any form of extra security (for those who passcode anyway) so I disabled. It does exactly as it claims though.

ckugo

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually did set this up and it worked great, but quickly disabled it. My only problem with this is that you cannot set the lock frequency to anything other than "Immediate." For normal usage, this would be fine as you most likely push the "Home" button to wake your phone anyway. But when you get an email or text message that you try to swipe open it takes you to your passcode screen. Then you either have to enter your password or put your finger on the sensor. It basically renders the swipe to open useless.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I enabled it yesterday and absolutely love it. I also enabled it for iTunes and App Store purchases and love that I don't have to enter my Apple ID password every time is make a purchase. Real cool stuff! :D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear it's working better than our fingerprint scanner at work. I will definitely be enabling it as soon as my 5S arrives!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I used it the first day and have since turned it off. It works without a hitch. My issue is that I have never used a passcode. So, for me, I like that if a message comes in I can just swipe it open and be in the message thread, or other things like that. This adds an extra step for me without adding any form of extra security (for those who passcode anyway) so I disabled. It does exactly as it claims though.

Actually, it adds a layer of protection without adding any extra steps. If your phone is locked, pick it up, swipe the slide to unlock widget and then place your thumb over the home button. Seems like one of my thumbs lives on the home button, anyway, so it actually removes a step (for me).

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You do understand that it uses radio frequency to read the print. It's not reading the outer dead skin print, but the living tissue print. Will someone please put a piece of tape or something over theirs and verify if it still works or not ?

I am not worried about Obama tracking me with this, I know he already is.

View attachment 38413

Idk, I am not a Touch ID expert. I just read a few websites and.. mostly 9GAG comics saying you can block it this way... lol Anyways, I decided I would use it anyway. I hate you NSA

lisainsf

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it adds a layer of protection without adding any extra steps. If your phone is locked, pick it up, swipe the slide to unlock widget and then place your thumb over the home button. Seems like one of my thumbs lives on the home button, anyway, so it actually removes a step (for me).

actually if you just hold your finger on the button from the lock screen you bypass the step of having to swype to unlock the lock screen..and you bypass the passcode

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I enabled it, and I love it. This made it more convenient for me to use a more complex passcode (letters, numbers and special characters) without actually having to type it in each time I need to access my phone. Thus an added layer of security even for someone who has always used a simple passcode.

Last edited:

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I have to disagree. As it now, without it enabled, if I see a texting pop up on my home screen, I just swipe it. There's no touching of the home button. Very minimal, I know, I'm not criticizing it. As for protection, I meant to suggest there's no added protection for those who already pass code lock. So yeah, for me if I enabled it there's added protection. I just have to get used to it is all.

Last edited:

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Setting up two thumbs and my right forefinger in TouchID was the first thing I did when I set up my 5S. Hasn't failed me once, I love it. As a person who's always used simple 4-digit codes that were fast to type (like 4545 or 1212), TouchID has made unlocking my device so quick and painless that I've actually now set up a real password on my device to go along with it. Far far more secure than I ever was before without losing any convenience at all.

Someone else above mentioned the immediate passcode requirement being the default for TouchID and it ruining the swipe-to-open notifications on the lock screen. I see the point but TouchID works so quickly for me that it doesn't feel like it hinders that process. To each, their own, of course :)

The more I use TouchID the more I'm hoping for expanded capabilities in future versions of iOS. Can't wait to have it on my next iPad and/or Macbook!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So jelly of you all talking about your 5S's I'm going to cry in a corner.

When I do get it though i will definitely enable it. Learned my lesson at a party when I left my phone unattended and some friends of the host thought it was his phone and set up a bunch of alarms and calendar reminders LOL.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods