Who plans on enabling the finger print sensor?

Will you use the finger print sensor?

• Yes I will activate and use it.

Votes: 62 88.6%
  • No, I will not use it.

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's as simple as it sounds. Who plans on activating the fingerprint sensor and using it on their device? While I like the potential, I still am used to simply pressing the home button and swiping open. I am unsure if I will continue to use this feature to try and get used to it, or not. I think I would appreciate it vs entering app store passwords everytime. Just curious....

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I enabled it; entered both thumbs.

I didn't have a passcode on my phone because I'm not patient.

It's a nice way to bring in security, and can enter the passcode instead if the phone is finicky. So won't get locked out.

revcoman

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Just set it up on my new 5S...

I was skeptical, but now I'm a believer. Accurate and fast. I don't foresee using the passlock much more in the future.

Good Job, Apple!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
you mean the "government scanner?" haha. if anyone wants a good laugh go read NBC's Facebook post (iPhone 5s/5c comment section) Unreal.

anyway, i will give it a try and if it does not become a hassle then i may stick with it

bitshifter1001

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
If it really is as smooth as the demos I have seen online, I will use the fingerprint sensor. I never used the 4 digit pin to (un)lock so having another option to secure the phone seems useful to me. Oh, and not having to type my iCloud password every time I update/install apps is a bonus!

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I am still worried that NSA might have backdoor access to the A7 processor causing them to be able to get my Fingerprint, and track me 24/7. I am also worried that the finger ID sensor might keep running even if I decide I do not want to use it and due to it's location there is no way you can avoid touching it. I am thinking of putting a thick sticker over the home button to make sure the finger ID will be blocked.

That will be the case with my 5S till some security companies investigate the 5S and tell us their final thoughts about how secure the Finger ID is.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the law and the government already have my fingerprints stored somewhere so they are welcome to dial in and see if anything has changed :D

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the law and the government already have my fingerprints stored somewhere so they are welcome to dial in and see if anything has changed :D

Of course they all have our fingerprints, but imagine them tracking you all day long using your fingerprints as you keep playing with the home button :p. I just hope some security geeks would scan the iPhone soon and tell us if it's safe to use the finger ID or not. Anyway, that won't prevent me from getting a 5S.

FBPD10

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I registered my fingerprint but I can't get it to work, also I upgraded from the 5 but it won't let me download ipages, keynote or numbers

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Of course they all have our fingerprints, but imagine them tracking you all day long using your fingerprints as you keep playing with the home button :p. I just hope some security geeks would scan the iPhone soon and tell us if it's safe to use the finger ID or not. Anyway, that won't prevent me from getting a 5S.

If you think they need this iPhone to make it easy to track you, you're WAY WAY behind, lol.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I am still worried that NSA might have backdoor access to the A7 processor causing them to be able to get my Fingerprint, and track me 24/7. I am also worried that the finger ID sensor might keep running even if I decide I do not want to use it and due to it's location there is no way you can avoid touching it. I am thinking of putting a thick sticker over the home button to make sure the finger ID will be blocked.

That will be the case with my 5S till some security companies investigate the 5S and tell us their final thoughts about how secure the Finger ID is.

The only thing to fear is fear itself...

The Fingerprint is not stored as an image. It is stored as a string of numbers that is encrypted, and stored only within the single device on which the print is set up on... you are at far, far more risk of having potentially sensitive information about you collected by everyday living than you are from using this new technology on an iPhone5S.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I undertand what you are saying. I am just that guy who doesn't sweat that stuff so don't pay attention to me ;) I am pretty confident that if the government, or agencies, or whomever it may be wanted to track me, they are already doing it and have been for a long time. It won't take a fingerprint button on a cell phone to open gateways to them. If anything, I am flattered that they would want to keep tabs on a simpleton like myself lol. My evenings of watching the Cubs lose their 90th game, watching a 5 year old mock me, and scrolling through iMore forums outta really wow em. Ha!!

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
If you think they need this iPhone to make it easy to track you, you're WAY WAY behind, lol.

I know, they got so many other ways to track you. Easiest way to using your registered info on your carrier account and track your movement using the Cell Towers.. but hey it could still be someone else using your phone so they are not 99% confident its you... but now with finger print who are you kidding xD. Anyway as I said I will take extra precautions to keep myself safe, maybe put a thick sticker on the home button but still I am getting the 5S.

The only thing to fear is fear itself...

The Fingerprint is not stored as an image. It is stored as a string of numbers that is encrypted, and stored only within the single device on which the print is set up on... you are at far, far more risk of having potentially sensitive information about you collected by everyday living than you are from using this new technology on an iPhone5S.

I know :/, unfortunately the digital life ruined our privacy. Regarding our fingerprint stored in something like the MD5 hash for passwords... Well NSA can break through MD5 hash, I am sure whatever Apple used won't stop them... they are evil geniuses :/

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I know, they got so many other ways to track you. Easiest way to using your registered info on your carrier account and track your movement using the Cell Towers.. but hey it could still be someone else using your phone so they are not 99% confident its you... but now with finger print who are you kidding xD. Anyway as I said I will take extra precautions to keep myself safe, maybe put a thick sticker on the home button but still I am getting the 5S.

It'll work as before if you don't use the fingerprint sensor.

If you're really concerned, the sorts of stuff that the Otterbox Defender put over the home button for the iPhone 5 will probably block it enough for you... :p

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Surely if the phone is registered to you and not some fake ID they know/could find out.where you are 24/7 anyway? Doesn't matter whether you authenticate with a finger or not, yes it takes away any doubt that it's you carrying it, but that's pretty trivial when a black helicopter could swoop down and check in person ;)

Anyway, much as I like my privacy, I'm not a complete tinfoil hatter, if if works well I'll use it, if not I'll fall back on a pass code as normal

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the point in upgrading from a 5 to a 5S and NOT using the finger print sensor. That's my plan - to use it. Since I have my work email account linked to my personal iphone, the IT dept enables passcode lock as mandatory. So having the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone will make it SO much easier, but more secure too, since I have it timed out for 15min now, due to the annoyance of the passcode lock. Being able to use the fingerprint sensor for itunes purchases will be awesome too.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll just leave it at this...if you're worried about the iPhone when it comes to invasion of your privacy...you're giving the device WAY too much credit for being the go to route for doing such.