View Poll Results: Will you use the finger print sensor?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I will activate and use it.

62 88.57%
  • No, I will not use it.

8 11.43%
    So far, I've found touch I'd to make things just that bit quicker. Took a couple of attempts to get it set up, but it's very quick now. I've set up both thumbs just in case, although to normally hold my phone in my right hand (because it's kept in my right pocket!)
    09-20-2013 01:25 PM
    I enabled it, I was really confused about using it at first lol didn't know I had to click the home button than lay my finger over it. Thought I just hovered over the home button without clicking it. Works flawlessly so far though. Loving the scanner.
    09-20-2013 01:42 PM
    I am not blaming the iPhone, and I like the Finger ID feature. I blame NSA for everything. They need to stop sticking their noses everywhere.
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but the NSA is just a new face on an AGE old entity.
    BLiNK likes this.
    09-20-2013 02:18 PM
    I enabled it on mine. Working great so far.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-20-2013 02:35 PM
    If I ever own a 5S, I probably won't use the scanner. I just feel better with passcodes and using my iTunes password. Has nothing to do with any of this NSA stuff people are referring to. I just prefer passwords.
    09-20-2013 02:45 PM
    Is there any way to use both the fingerprint and the code, or is it a one-or-the-other situation?
    09-20-2013 04:29 PM
    I'm using it and loving it. the NSA stuff is just silly. if they want, they already know who the phone belongs too, and can hack the mic and cameras to get voice imprints, pictures fo your face, etc, not to mention scanning your emails and such. at that point, what does it matter if they have your fingerprints?

I'm using it, and I can rest assured it will be harder for a thief to get access to my phone.
    09-20-2013 04:34 PM
    I am still worried that NSA might have backdoor access to the A7 processor causing them to be able to get my Fingerprint, and track me 24/7. I am also worried that the finger ID sensor might keep running even if I decide I do not want to use it and due to it's location there is no way you can avoid touching it. I am thinking of putting a thick sticker over the home button to make sure the finger ID will be blocked.

That will be the case with my 5S till some security companies investigate the 5S and tell us their final thoughts about how secure the Finger ID is.
    There are hundreds of reasons and ways for them to already have your fingerprints... police officer, child care worker, youth worker, summer camp, criminal record, government security clearance, etc...
    09-20-2013 06:16 PM
    Is there any way to use both the fingerprint and the code, or is it a one-or-the-other situation?
    It appears to be either/or...
    09-20-2013 06:17 PM
    I like it so far. I registered both this and forefingers. I'll leave the fifth slot for my husbands thumb.

I've also been using it a lot although I still forget and swipe occasionally. But on the passcode page you can just use your fingerprint there anyway.
    Yep... 2 thumbs, one index finger, and wife's thumbs...

You can also use it to bypass the "swipe" page as well. I have passcode enabled... but I have it configured to not require a passcode for 4 minutes. You can use it to unlock the passcode when required... but you can also use it before the passcode kicks in to get past the swipe screen.

Now I want it on my iPads, too...
    09-20-2013 06:20 PM
    I am still worried that NSA might have backdoor access to the A7 processor causing them to be able to get my Fingerprint, and track me 24/7. I am also worried that the finger ID sensor might keep running even if I decide I do not want to use it and due to it's location there is no way you can avoid touching it. I am thinking of putting a thick sticker over the home button to make sure the finger ID will be blocked.

That will be the case with my 5S till some security companies investigate the 5S and tell us their final thoughts about how secure the Finger ID is.
    Even if the NSA did manage to get into the A7 chip and find your fingerprint (unlikely since it's stored on the individual device locked away from all software) what difference would it make? You would have gone through ID and credit checks when applying for the contract anyway. If they wanted to track you they could very easily do it via cell phone towers.

Unless you're a criminal on the run using fake names and ID's I don't think there's a whole lot to worry about someone having access to a fingerprint. Even though they don't. Apple has stressed that highly.

As for me, I'm using the fingerprint scanner. I think it's awesome! Far faster and more accurate than what I was expecting it to me. I do keep swiping to unlock out of habbit but I'm sure i'll soon adapt.
    09-20-2013 07:33 PM
    Mine is on and working great

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    09-20-2013 07:38 PM

Even if the NSA did manage to get into the A7 chip and find your fingerprint (unlikely since it's stored on the individual device locked away from all software) what difference would it make? You would have gone through ID and credit checks when applying for the contract anyway. If they wanted to track you they could very easily do it via cell phone towers.

Unless you're a criminal on the run using fake names and ID's I don't think there's a whole lot to worry about someone having access to a fingerprint. Even though they don't. Apple has stressed that highly.

As for me, I'm using the fingerprint scanner. I think it's awesome! Far faster and more accurate than what I was expecting it to me. I do keep swiping to unlock out of habbit but I'm sure i'll soon adapt.
    09-20-2013 08:00 PM
    Just "purchased" a free app using the fingerprint scanner. That is way cool. I hate typing my complicated iTunes password. Also dangerous because j have a feeling 5S users will be buying a lot more app, music, movies, etc because it's so easy ;-)
    Eileen89 and Alli like this.
    09-20-2013 08:01 PM
    Just "purchased" a free app using the fingerprint scanner. That is way cool. I hate typing my complicated iTunes password. Also dangerous because j have a feeling 5S users will be buying a lot more app, music, movies, etc because it's so easy ;-)
    I have mine set up for App purchases also, but I haven't tried it out yet for that.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro..
    09-20-2013 08:13 PM
    I have mine set up for App purchases also, but I haven't tried it out yet for that.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro..
    The first time I tried it I had to type my password (because I had rebooted due to the 7.0.1 update) and then I had to go they 2-factor authentication. But after that the fingerprint auth for purchases was a piece of cake.
    09-20-2013 08:16 PM
    Mine is on and its sick! Sooo fast and I feel so secure. 100 times better then entering password
    09-20-2013 08:20 PM
    Not I. Bought it for the processor and anticipation of apps to be developed for it. And the obvious reason also, us passionate ones have to have the latest and greatest by Apple!
    09-20-2013 09:37 PM
    I plan on activating it when mine arrives. Which it says may be from Sept. 30 - Oct. 2 :|
    09-20-2013 10:04 PM
    Activated it, if your worried about the government getting your finger print your to late. You've been printed in school, in some states drivers license, and people like me that has to much to drink and gets a drunk in public as few times!
    09-20-2013 10:14 PM

You do understand that it uses radio frequency to read the print. It's not reading the outer dead skin print, but the living tissue print. Will someone please put a piece of tape or something over theirs and verify if it still works or not ?

I am not worried about Obama tracking me with this, I know he already is.

Who plans on enabling the finger print sensor?-image.jpg
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-21-2013 09:12 AM
    I will 100% activate and use this when I get my 5s.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    09-21-2013 09:13 AM
    The feature is actually surprising in how easily it works and how quickly it just seems natural to use.

See the Anand Tech review for more details. Apparently if you don't touch the steel ring, it doesn't work:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/t...ne-5s-review/8
    09-21-2013 09:27 AM
    I used it the first day and have since turned it off. It works without a hitch. My issue is that I have never used a passcode. So, for me, I like that if a message comes in I can just swipe it open and be in the message thread, or other things like that. This adds an extra step for me without adding any form of extra security (for those who passcode anyway) so I disabled. It does exactly as it claims though.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    09-21-2013 10:19 AM
    I actually did set this up and it worked great, but quickly disabled it. My only problem with this is that you cannot set the lock frequency to anything other than "Immediate." For normal usage, this would be fine as you most likely push the "Home" button to wake your phone anyway. But when you get an email or text message that you try to swipe open it takes you to your passcode screen. Then you either have to enter your password or put your finger on the sensor. It basically renders the swipe to open useless.
    M.Rizk and Shan S. like this.
    09-21-2013 10:33 AM
92 1234