Does the SIM free version work with T-Mobile?

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am wondering if the unlocked SIM free version of the 5s and the 5c sold by Apple works with T-Mobile's AWS band? This is the 1700Mhz band. Or does only the T-Mobile SIM included version compatible with this band?

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The SIM free unlocked 5S is also the T-Mobile version. The following link is a list of the frequency bands that each version of the iPhone 5S supports. Apple - iPhone 5 - View countries with supported LTE networks.

The SIM unlocked version is not the TMO version.

The SIM unlocked version is the A1530 model which does not support the AWS bands. I was curious about this as well since I am moving to the UK later this fall and was wondering the same thing.

SOURCE: Apple Store Customer Service. (1-800-MYAPPLE)

According to my local Apple Store in Glendale, AZ they said they would have that specific model as well. Guess I will find out Friday.

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I actually just found out on the online Apple store it says, "The unlocked iPhone 5s model is A1533 (GSM)." I then checked the tech specs and that says, "Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)." That 1700/2100 is AWS compatible with T-Mobie. For the 5c I also found out it says, "The unlocked iPhone 5c model is A1532 (GSM)." And again the supported bands the Apple site says is, "Model A1532 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)." Which again the 1700/2100 band is AWS compatible with T-Mobile. Does this mean that the website is incorrect? Or did the 1-800-MYAPPLE representative confuse the 5 with the 5s and 5c, as I know the 5 was different between the two. Also, I can't find the A1530 model anywhere for the 5c or 5s.

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The A1530 model is the one that is used for Australia in the above link that shows the frequencies unlocked. You will see that no other phone model displays AWS as a feature except the A1533 (US models.) I would call the 1-800-Myapple and ask. I hope I didn't have a misinformed rep. If you are looking for the AWS spectrum though, you should probably buy the A1533 model. Almost every other radio is there for US and Europe.

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I live in the US. I've been talking about T-Mobile USA. Therefore I would be purchasing the US model from my local Apple store.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The SIM unlocked version is not the TMO version.

The SIM unlocked version is the A1530 model which does not support the AWS bands. I was curious about this as well since I am moving to the UK later this fall and was wondering the same thing.

SOURCE: Apple Store Customer Service. (1-800-MYAPPLE)

According to my local Apple Store in Glendale, AZ they said they would have that specific model as well. Guess I will find out Friday.
I am looking at the Apple online store now and there is only one iPhone 5S listed there for T-Mobile. It says "Unlocked and contract-free" next to it. This is the unlocked model that Apple is selling. Not sure what you are referring to with a T-Mobile specific model, but here's the link to the US online Apple store if you'd like to see what I'm looking at. Also if you try adding it as a purchase it will say "(GSM) T-Mobile Unlocked" in the shopping cart. http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I stand corrected, and honestly that's a benefit for my situation. I would have been in a world of confusion come Friday when I go to buy mine. Kinda disappointed about the customer service rep not being more knowledgable over the phone about such a hot topic right now.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I stand corrected, and honestly that's a benefit for my situation. I would have been in a world of confusion come Friday when I go to buy mine. Kinda disappointed about the customer service rep not being more knowledgable over the phone about such a hot topic right now.

No worries. I was also confused by this as well until someone on here pointed this out to me. I plan on ordering it on line so I'm keeping it bookmarked for Friday's online order.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner