why didn't apple prepare for launch more wisely?

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
hey this isn't my first time dealing with a release. it is however my first time dealing with one where we couldn't preorder and I have to choose between standing in line and and risk them running out at that store, or placing an order online and waiting another week or two. I'll live and yes I know its a first world problem but I want my iphone now! LOL

guess we'll just see how things work out. if I get it on day one I do and if I don't I don't.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
hey this isn't my first time dealing with a release. it is however my first time dealing with one where we couldn't preorder and I have to choose between standing in line and and risk them running out at that store, or placing an order online and waiting another week or two. I'll live and yes I know its a first world problem but I want my iphone now! LOL

guess we'll just see how things work out. if I get it on day one I do and if I don't I don't.

This isn't rocket science. Arrive at a store (not an apple store) an hour or two early, get your iphone, be on your way. This will be easy to get. The problems arise if you wait to end of day.

Last edited:

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
we'll see. if the store has only 500 iphones and 4,000 people are in line I'm gonna be boned. LOL

but I've already established from others in this thread that at least I'll know without waiting in line all day. they'll give me a card. So I'm going to give it a go.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Be honest with yourself...you're up in arms because there is a chance you might not be able to get an iPhone 5S on launch day.

So why try? Why not order one on the 20th and let it be brought to you? Why not wait a week or so and go get one when stock is plentiful and there are no lines to be seen?

You've waited this long, and you're going to get pissy over a matter of a few more days? LOL!

On Friday, after I get off work, I'm driving to Best Buy where me and my wife's iPhone is supposedly reserved...you know what happens if I walk in there and it's not there and they want me to come back and wait in line? I just plop my **** on the couch at home, order it and have the UPS guy bring it to me.

Patience is a virtue.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Be honest with yourself...you're up in arms because there is a chance you might not be able to get an iPhone 5S on launch day.

So why try? Why not order one on the 20th and let it be brought to you? Why not wait a week or so and go get one when stock is plentiful and there are no lines to be seen?

You've waited this long, and you're going to get pissy over a matter of a few more days? LOL!

On Friday, after I get off work, I'm driving to Best Buy where me and my wife's iPhone is supposedly reserved...you know what happens if I walk in there and it's not there and they want me to come back and wait in line? I just plop my **** on the couch at home, order it and have the UPS guy bring it to me.

Patience is a virtue.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not a major issue to not have something on launch day. I am doing exactly as you said, ordering it early Friday morning, going to bed and living my life until the friendly UPS/FedEx guy brings it to me. When we’re all clamoring and whinging about whether or not we can get the new iPhone 7S on launch day, will we even remember or care when we actually received our iPhone 5S?

It’s a nit, folks.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
@ Sean,

I do want it sooner rather than later but saying I'm being "pissy" because of a question is uncalled for. I'll be disappointed if I don't get it friday but I'll live and won't be throwing temper tantrums.

please don't confuse my expression of an opinion and/or questions about apples roll out with some kid crying and screaming like its owed to me. I know its not and that its not the end of the world either way. If I don't get it on friday I'll be a bit disappointed and just wait till i can get it.

that still doesn't make me wonder why apple chose to roll out the phones in so many countries at once when they can't keep up with the orders. maybe they have a good reason, maybe they don't, maybe folks know why and maybe they don't.

feel free to answer or not, but either way I'd appreciate it if you leave out the insulting stuff about me being some whiny pisspants because I asked a question.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It's not necessarily uncalled for because you're acting like a whiny pisspants.

Your question originally was legitimate: "what was the reasoning for it rolling out the way that it is," and had you not immediately turned it into a "why me" tale of woe, this thread could've been an interesting array of perspectives on why we all speculate Apple made the decision to include Japan and China on launch day given the limited supply of available units and omit preordering.

Several people, including myself, gave you our ideas as to why, and every reply you've posted thus far is argumentative, accusatory, and leaves most of us in a state of collective sighing, because you *are* acting like it's owed to you. When in reality, it is a small, luxurious item that you do not need for survival and you are annoyed, angry, disappointed, whatever emotion you want to call it, that you might not get it on launch day because it's inconvenient for you to wait.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
This isn't rocket science. Arrive at a store (not an apple store) an hour or two early, get your iphone, be on your way. This will be easy to get. The problems arise if you wait to end of day.

And call first.

Our store isn't getting a single iPhone 5C or 5S. There's such an issue getting phones from Apple in Canada that we have to have the name of someone who is guaranteed to be getting it and our DM is driving 4 hours on release day to hand deliver from other stores allocations.

There's a real problem this time. Even with the 5 we only got 4, but we had them 3 days early.

BB8130<BB8330<BB9530<Palm Pre<HTC Desire Z<Galaxy S i9000M<iPhone 4<Palm Pixi Plus<Lumia 720<BB 9900<SGS 3<BB Z10<iPhone 5 iOS 7 GM goodness

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
It's not necessarily uncalled for because you're acting like a whiny pisspants.
how? I ask some questions and then present things I think would make more sense such as setting up the system they have in china for reservations. some helpful people give me tips such as apple passing out cards so you don't have to wait all day to find out you're out of luck, among other things. I then say that this is workable for me and that's what'll do and if that fails, I'll order online.
then after this, you and sean come in after that to call me whiney and pissy.

Your question originally was legitimate, what was the reasoning for it rolling out the way that it is, and had you not immediately turned it into a "why me" tale of woe, this thread could've been an interesting array of perspectives on why we all speculate Apple made the decision to include Japan and China on launch day given the limited supply of available units and omit preordering.
quote me where I said "Why me" Now you're putting words in my moth.

Several people, including myself, gave you our ideas as to why, and every reply you've posted thus far is argumentative, accusatory, and leaves most of us in a state of collective sighing, because you *are* acting like it's owed to you. When in reality, it is a small, luxurious item that you do not need for survival and you are annoyed, angry, disappointed, whatever emotion you want to call it, that you might not get it on launch day because it's inconvenient for you to wait.
actually no I haven't. people gave me tips and I then expressed that I liked the fact that apple passed out cards and that I found that a workable solution for me. I'll try that and if it fails, I'll order online. (though I'm debating just ordering online)

then you and sean come along and try to start something with me. frankly I'm not interested in fighting with you guys over this.

Maybe I'll think twice before asking for help or expressing my thoughts here though if thats how people want to be.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
@ Sean,

I do want it sooner rather than later but saying I'm being "pissy" because of a question is uncalled for. I'll be disappointed if I don't get it friday but I'll live and won't be throwing temper tantrums.

please don't confuse my expression of an opinion and/or questions about apples roll out with some kid crying and screaming like its owed to me. I know its not and that its not the end of the world either way. If I don't get it on friday I'll be a bit disappointed and just wait till i can get it.

that still doesn't make me wonder why apple chose to roll out the phones in so many countries at once when they can't keep up with the orders. maybe they have a good reason, maybe they don't, maybe folks know why and maybe they don't.

feel free to answer or not, but either way I'd appreciate it if you leave out the insulting stuff about me being some whiny pisspants because I asked a question.

If you were insulted by my comment I apologize...but I also suggest you grow some thicker skin, because my response to you was quite civil.

You're curious why Apple didn't offer pre-orders, and that's a legitimate curiosity...I'm in the same boat with you in that, curious whether it was because of network problems they've seen before, historic overcrowding of their retail stores and carrier stores, or maybe, like others have hypothesized, they just wanted to make the lines visually impressive (though to me, this one makes the least sense because they have that kind of crowd every year regardless).

I think my initial (and continued) retort is based on your title, which indicates that Apple did something wrong...and within that, trying to deduce why you had this idea...in the end I could only come up with the idea that you were going to be upset that you might not get a phone on opening day, so you feel Apple has wronged you in that sense. Now we all have opinions, and that is fine, you're welcome to yours as much as I am to mine...but you went on and on and on about how you might not get a phone because they didn't offer pre-orders and in the end, you did sound like a whining child that didn't get his way (you said it, not me...I feel "pissy" is a bit more polite than associating you with a child's temper tantrum, but take it however you like it).

In the end...you revert to the "Maybe I'll think twice before asking for help or expressing my opinion..."...COME ONNNNNN...stop being so dramatic. Take a break from the internet and come back when you're in a better mood. We'll talk about theories on why Apple didn't do pre-orders on the 5S at that time, when we can do it from a logical stance and not one trying to point a finger of fault.

Not every move is a mistake when it doesn't suit your personal needs. My niece tends to throw temper tantrums when she doesn't get what she wants, but within those tantrums, some logical questions do arise at times, and part of communication (proper communication anyways) is figuring out how to do this without the emotional baggage. Here, you had a good question, shrouded in a bunch of finger pointing and sob story...I think that is where your problem was.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
If you were insulted by my comment I apologize...but I also suggest you grow some thicker skin, because my response to you was quite civil.
if you didn't mean any ill intent then apology accepted and no hard feelings on my end. I'm sorry if I took you the wrong way.

You're curious why Apple didn't offer pre-orders, and that's a legitimate curiosity...I'm in the same boat with you in that, curious whether it was because of network problems they've seen before, historic overcrowding of their retail stores and carrier stores, or maybe, like others have hypothesized, they just wanted to make the lines visually impressive (though to me, this one makes the least sense because they have that kind of crowd every year regardless).

I think my initial (and continued) retort is based on your title, which indicates that Apple did something wrong...and within that, trying to deduce why you had this idea...in the end I could only come up with the idea that you were going to be upset that you might not get a phone on opening day, so you feel Apple has wronged you in that sense. Now we all have opinions, and that is fine, you're welcome to yours as much as I am to mine...but you went on and on and on about how you might not get a phone because they didn't offer pre-orders and in the end, you did sound like a whining child that didn't get his way (you said it, not me...I feel "pissy" is a bit more polite than associating you with a child's temper tantrum, but take it however you like it).
I think you took my posts completely the wrong way. you'll even notice the post right above the pissy post where I basically said if I get it, I get it and if I don't I don't.

in the end...you revert to the "Maybe I'll think twice before asking for help or expressing my opinion..."...COME ONNNNNN...stop being so dramatic. Take a break from the internet and come back when you're in a better mood. We'll talk about theories on why Apple didn't do pre-orders on the 5S at that time, when we can do it from a logical stance and not one trying to point a finger of fault.
nothing dramatic. I'm just not interested in engaging in flame wars over this stuff. I make some rather benign and even playful posts and then you call me pissy, and then someone else comes along and really piles it on, accusing me of arguing with everybody. That makes me less likely to post.
Nothing dramatic about that, its just the truth.

Not every move is a mistake when it doesn't suit your personal needs. My niece tends to throw temper tantrums when she doesn't get what she wants, but within those tantrums, some logical questions do arise at times, and part of communication (proper communication anyways) is figuring out how to do this without the emotional baggage. Here, you had a good question, shrouded in a bunch of finger pointing and sob story...I think that is where your problem was.
I'm sorry if you took at that way but no that was not my intent. before your post I was saying several times, that it'll be what it'll be, and I was even laughing when I made the america baby post with the video.

please don't think that because I think apple is doing this wrong that they owe me anything or that I'm entitled to anything. It just means I think they should do it differently but that said, I'm the first to admit I'm just an armchair quarterback. in fact even on my first post on this thread, I acknowledged I'm no expert and my second post I said "maybe there's a good reason. I just don't know what that would be."

I hope that clears things up.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

In the end...you revert to the "Maybe I'll think twice before asking for help or expressing my opinion..."...COME ONNNNNN...stop being so dramatic. Take a break from the internet and come back when you're in a better mood. We'll talk about theories on why Apple didn't do pre-orders on the 5S at that time, when we can do it from a logical stance and not one trying to point a finger of fault.

if you didn't mean any ill intent then apology accepted and no hard feelings on my end. I'm sorry if I took you the wrong way.

I think you took my posts completely the wrong way. you'll even notice the post right above the pissy post where I basically said if I get it, I get it and if I don't I don't.

nothing dramatic. I'm just not interested in engaging in flame wars over this stuff. I make some rather benign and even playful posts and then you call me pissy, and then someone else comes along and really piles it on, accusing me of arguing with everybody. That makes me less likely to post.
Nothing dramatic about that, its just the truth.

I'm sorry if you took at that way but no that was not my intent. before your post I was saying several times, that it'll be what it'll be, and I was even laughing when I made the america baby post with the video.

please don't think that because I think apple is doing this wrong that they owe me anything or that I'm entitled to anything. It just means I think they should do it differently but that said, I'm the first to admit I'm just an armchair quarterback. in fact even on my first post on this thread, I acknowledged I'm no expert and my second post I said "maybe there's a good reason. I just don't know what that would be."

I hope that clears things up.

Awww. :) I’m a sucker for a happy ending. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification, and I do understand your curiosity, like I said before...I also have it too, wondering why Apple chose this route instead of the normal pre-sale. It's the "fault" issues that I keep referencing, the inclination that there is a "problem" with the way they are doing it this time. To be honest, there's no problem, it's just a choice...if i had to sit down and make a logical and in depth GUESS about it, I'd say it has a lot to do with the fact that their servers can't handle a single device release (carrier servers that is) much less a dual release of two VERY popular smart phones...so what this does essentially (again, hypothetically) is stagers out the release a bit, you have a tsunami of 5c's preordered, and you have people who would normally try and get an iPhone on the first day realize that the 5S isn't available for pre-order, so they hold back a bit, easing the bottle neck a little and, again, staggering out the stock depletion a little more that what you'd have if you did pre-orders on both.

Or...maybe they just want epic, chaotic, massive crowds at all the retailers and Apple stores so that they get the attention in the media, which lends itself to more sales on it's own.

Or...maybe somebody in Apple's headquarters forgot to setup the pre-ordering system properly on the 5S and it was just too screwed up to fix.

Or...maybe a giant gorilla destroyed half the stock of the 5S and they couldn't produce them fast enough to what they knew the pre-orders would require.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR