• Upgrade old/ Drop new

0 0%
  • Upgrade new/ Drop old

0 0%
  • Keep Both

0 0%
  • Other

1 100.00%
    Last year at this time, I set up a new phone line on a new number that I currently use on my current iPhone4S. That line was set up (noted below as NEW LINE) with the intention of remedying a year+long issue with my line after my iPhone4 got stolen a year prior, and after ATT and Apple Engineering had kind of exhausted most efforts to figure out why I was having issues. (You can search for my old posts for that whole dramatic ordeal). It's MOSTLY solved now, save for random issues, but for the most part, I just tolerate it, when it occurs. I originally did not intend to keep it, but I had less issues with it than the old line, so I kept it as my main private line that my friends and family use.

Since then, I have been paying for the original line (noted below as OLD LINE) as a "basic phone" line on my Mobile Share plan--this number is one which I have had for 12 years, and is a number that's been tied to my business for a decade or more--and have forwarded the calls from that little basic phone to my iPhone so that all the calls from both lines aggregate in one phone and I am not carrying both.

I logged in today to see where I was on contract with all of my lines, and was presented with the below, seeing the OLD LINE still in contract sort of surprised me, but it expires in like 3 weeks, no biggie, but I did expect the new line to be in contract for another year, though I never bought a phone for that line, I just used what I had.

OLD LINE
    Contract Information
    Contract end date 10/07/2013

NEW LINE
    Contract Information
    Contract end date Your contract has ended

HUSBAND
    Contract Information

MIL
    Contract Information
    So why am I posting this nonsense that I needed to rewrite more clearly?

I guess I need to decide which line I want to keep active/upgrade. Meaning should I drop the new number or drop the old one when it expires? I guess now that I went through all that drama to change the number and have had it for a year, I should stick with it, right? There's almost no point in paying $30 a month for my old number to have my calls forwarded through to my new phone on a the new line, even though it's my business line. However, if I drop the old line I have to reprint new business cards sooner, which is a good $500 (fancy cards) and what about all the cards I handed out recently with my old number still on them? Or should I dump the year-old line, stick with the old number, that the business has had tied to it, and tell everyone "yea use the old number again". I keep hemming and hawwing on this...and then as I drove home debated "should upgrade my current line, let the other one expire, and then in 6 months drop the old one?" I feel like I lost you again, reader.

The pro to keeping the new number and dropping the old number is that my old partners don't have my new number--unless someone else found out what it was to give to them--and can't text me anymore (yay) and won't be able to call me without the new number if I kill that old one.

The con is that that old number was mine for like 12 years and had been associated with my business for almost a decade and requires a reprint and change of a ton of stuff.

INPUT?

Which should I DROP?

And before you say it--yes I have considered Google Voice, and I didn't really think of it as a viable option for me because I don't want to start with another number, and if I port my current old number, then I still have to pay for mobile service.
    Last edited by ame; 09-17-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Clarity. Never rush out the door before proofreading...
    09-17-2013 04:56 PM
    Doh. I should've done my poll to be upgrade old/drop new, upgrade new/drop old, keep both, other...
    09-17-2013 05:31 PM
    If you do a new poll, be sure to add the option of "I'd help you but I am thoroughly f'n confused after reading that"
    ame likes this.
    09-17-2013 05:38 PM
    If you do a new poll, be sure to add the option of "I'd help you but I am thoroughly f'n confused after reading that"
    I rushed to post it trying to do it before I left work. I'll just have to clarify when I get home.
    09-17-2013 05:39 PM
    Doh. I should've done my poll to be upgrade old/drop new, upgrade new/drop old, keep both, other...
    ame, I edited your poll based on what you posted here. If this isn't correct please let me know and I'll change it.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 09-17-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: correct typo
    ame likes this.
    09-17-2013 07:06 PM
    ame, I edited your poll based on what you posted here. If this isn't correct please let me know and I'll change it.
    PERFECT, thank you! I was trying to edit that when I rewrote my post (hopefully clearer) but it doesn't let you edit the poll.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 09-17-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: correct typo in quoted post.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-17-2013 09:24 PM