Where to line up for 5s in Toronto, ON

oscarcanada

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It's is my first time lining up for an iPhone, never thought I would be wacky enough to do this but I am really pumped for this release! Booked Friday off work.
Question for Canadians in here,
Where is the best place to line up? I cannot go to the eaton centre branch, so was thinking of yorkdale mall or fairview mall. Does anybody have any experience of those two locations? How early would I need to go their, and does the mall allow you stay inside overnight (T.O. Is getting a bit chilly now!)
And finally, do you think they will have unlocked versions available on launch day?

Thanks a lot!

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
It's is my first time lining up for an iPhone, never thought I would be wacky enough to do this but I am really pumped for this release! Booked Friday off work.
Question for Canadians in here,
Where is the best place to line up? I cannot go to the eaton centre branch, so was thinking of yorkdale mall or fairview mall. Does anybody have any experience of those two locations? How early would I need to go their, and does the mall allow you stay inside overnight (T.O. Is getting a bit chilly now!)
And finally, do you think they will have unlocked versions available on launch day?

Thanks a lot!

I have had luck at Yorkdale, but to be honest i wouldn't line up. If you are buying subsidized i would try my luck at best buy mobile and futureshop instead.

oscarcanada

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks....but that's the problem I'm NOT buying subsidized! So I think pretty much my only option is the Apple store. When you went to yorkdale how was it? We're people turned away empty handed due to inventories being too low?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks....but that's the problem I'm NOT buying subsidized! So I think pretty much my only option is the Apple store. When you went to yorkdale how was it? We're people turned away empty handed due to inventories being too low?

I went to yorkdale for 4 and 4s. For both there were people purchasing max number of phones (2) to ship abroad. Now that there is no need to ship so lines maybe better.

For the 4 i went in line late at around 5pm, they gave us numbers (line placeholders) and i went in next day and waited maybe 40 mins and had my phone.

For 4s i went in at 9am and i was out by 2pm.

Last year i ordered from Rogers so i didn't line up anywhere :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You should check if they will have the unlocked models for sale. I remember for the 5 they didn't sell the unlocked in store. It was available only online for like the first week or something.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
They'll have to have unlocked models available in store for tmobile because that's all tmobile does now. So the question is if you can buy the tmobile phone and then put it on ATT for instance. Technically it will be no issue, hut I don't know if they'll let you do that in the store.

No, no, Toronto. And we couldn't get unlocked iPhone 5's in the store for a few weeks, last year. Had to order them online. (Shipping took forever, too!)

Although that's a thought -- for those of us who want unlocked versions on Day 1, if they aren't offered up here, it's "Road Trip to Buffalo and the Walden Galleria" time!

[On that note, T-Mobile is my American carrier on the $3/day plan. Only way to travel.]

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Oops. Sorry about my US centric reply. The tmobile phone would work on Rogers, Bell, or Telus per the Apple site.

But I'd call the store and see if they'll sell you the tmobile phone without being a tmobile customer before making the road trip. Good luck.

Of course. All of us non-Sprint North American customers are on one happy model now, the A1533.

I think I'm just going to swing by a local mall (Yorkdale) on Friday and see if they have it. If not, I'll wait and/or do a Buffalo road trip a week or two out.

Won't do what I did last year -- agonize for a week over models before ordering, then stew for a month before it ships.

But it's an S-model. Shouldn't be as crazy to get a new one... Last year also was the LTE thing. (Would have gotten a used 4S, except I knew I'd eat my heart out over LTE.)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Of course. All of us non-Sprint North American customers are on one happy model now, the A1533.

I think I'm just going to swing by a local mall (Yorkdale) on Friday and see if they have it. If not, I'll wait and/or do a Buffalo road trip a week or two out.

Won't do what I did last year -- agonize for a week over models before ordering, then stew for a month before it ships.

But it's an S-model. Shouldn't be as crazy to get a new one... Last year also was the LTE thing. (Would have gotten a used 4S, except I knew I'd eat my heart out over LTE.)

Yeah last year sucked I paid more than anyone else because I was buying factory unlocked yet I had to wait, and wait, and wait while they enjoyed their iPhone 5 :(

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, i am not sure what to do this year. Options are get it through rogers or buy unlocked. The rogers one is 175 bucks cheaper for me, even though i had subsidized one last year.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, i am not sure what to do this year. Options are get it through rogers or buy unlocked. The rogers one is 175 bucks cheaper for me, even though i had subsidized one last year.

Yeah been contract free for 10 years now on Fido. I always buy my iPhones unlocked. But I been with the same carrier for the last 15 years so I was like damn I might as well get something out of the deal. I have half the cost of the phone in Fido dollars and selling my wife's 4 will almost get me the other half =) can't beat an almost free 5s.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Well... if you can keep your deal, and you mean to be with them for the next two years, it costs $50 to unlock after a few weeks, so you'd "save" $125 in that situation.

I will buy unlocked because I have a great Retentions plan that is below the subsidized upgrade threshold level now.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah been contract free for 10 years now on Fido. I always buy my iPhones unlocked. But I been with the same carrier for the last 15 years so I was like damn I might as well get something out of the deal. I have half the cost of the phone in Fido dollars and selling my wife's 4 will almost get me the other half =) can't beat an almost free 5s.

I hear ya, historical data for me to have a phone, upgrade, and sell; all adds up cumulatively to < $100 for me as well.

Well... if you can keep your deal, and you mean to be with them for the next two years, it costs $50 to unlock after a few weeks, so you'd "save" $125 in that situation.

I will buy unlocked because I have a great Retentions plan that is below the subsidized upgrade threshold level now.

I may go that route and look on kijiji and purchase a rogers branded phone. Failing that i may purchase from Rogers.

I am on day #4 without a smartphone, I am getting anxious.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I hear ya, historical data for me to have a phone, upgrade, and sell; all adds up cumulatively to < $100 for me as well.

I may go that route and look on kijiji and purchase a rogers branded phone. Failing that i may purchase from Rogers.

I am on day #4 without a smartphone, I am getting anxious.

Plus my Fido dollars ;0) Wohoo only thing I love about Fido really. Wow 4 days without an iPhone I think I would have gone mad by now :biggrin:

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe make the trek to the eatons centre? If youre there in the wee hours of the morning, odds are youll get the phone

oscarcanada

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for responses. I popped into the eaton centre today and a staff there confirmed that thy received confirmation today that thy will be stocking the unlocked version!

oscarcanada

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe make the trek to the eatons centre? If youre there in the wee hours of the morning, odds are youll get the phone

Would love to try eaton ctr but it's too close to my place of work I manage to get Friday off work by creating a phantom "doctors appointment" so I can't risk being seen lining up for an iPhone!!!

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Would love to try eaton ctr but it's too close to my place of work I manage to get Friday off work by creating a phantom "doctors appointment" so I can't risk being seen lining up for an iPhone!!!

laughs! I thought people exaggerated when they said they take a day off work saying its a doctors appointment ;).
Who knows maybe you will end up on a 6 o' clock news for the people waiting in line ahah.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner