A poll about screen sizes...

What is your opinion on screen size?

• 100% content with current iPhone screen size, do not want a larger iPhone.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Content with current screen size, but would be open to a larger iPhone.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Indifferent about screen size, and would buy the iPhone regardless.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Prefer a larger screen size, but still plan to buy the iPhone at current size.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I will not buy an iPhone until the screen is larger.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • I would not buy an iPhone, regardless of screen size.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I can't remember which option it is, but I also voted for current screen size, because it is the closest to how I feel. Truth be told (again), I prefer the 4s screen size, but bought the 5 to get LTE. With the extra half inch of screen height, I have a hard time reaching the back navigation button that has been pretty standard for backing out of screens in many apps and iOS itself (lucky lefties). Even the new "menu" construct is in the upper left. Unless they make a radical change to put that navigation at the bottom of the screen, I just won't be able to use a larger iphone screen with one hand. The is where some other systems have an advantage over iOS in my opinion. More gestures are about the only other thing that can help.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Sean, I can't see the poll on the iMore forums app. I'm happy with the 4" screen. IMO 4.2 or 4.3 would be ok too.

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
4.7" is definitely the sweet spot. I recently used a Moto X and can say that Motorola definitely took ergonomics into account when designing the device. I'm back on an iPhone now but would love to see a 4.7" 1080 screen (or better) on the iPhone 6 next year.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm in the indifferent category. It's not as if I'm going anywhere else. It's also not a zero sum game though. Just because they do a larger screen doesn't mean they stop doing the current one. Hopefully, unlike the 4S, they would continue to update multiple screen sizes.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm also happy with the current size but if there was a bigger screen within reason I would get it. Anything over 5" is too big for me but where I get scared is Apple is not known for having too many SKUs. So would they do for example iPhone 6 (4" screen), 6C (4") and then iPhone 6xl (5 or whatever"). I have a feeling they would just do one model with the bigger screen like how the 5 replaced the 4/4s with the bigger screen. So if they went to 6" for example that would suck because there is no way in hell I would buy that but then I'd be left only two choices use old hardware or buy it :concern:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I voted for #2. I have used a lot of different phones in different sizes. The largest being the Note 2 for a couple months. I used the Galaxy S4 for a couple months too. The size of that was pretty good for daily use, but I still like my phone to be a little smaller. I have no issues with the size of the iPhone 5 and actually didn't have a problem with the 4 either. There are only certain time that I appreciate the larger screen, but I do have an iPad that I can use at for those. I would say that 4.3 or 4.5 would be a max size, but it would depend on the design of the phone. Apple never disappoints on design. I trust that they would not do anything to just have a bigger phone on the market. It will be done right if they do it.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I chose "I will not buy an iPhone until the screen is larger." For me it should actually read "...another iPhone" since I already have one. My iPhone 5 is my 2nd device, and screen size is the single biggest reason I'm not making it my primary phone.

MatttMN

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from Android to my first iPhone with the 5S. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the iPhone experience (especially since the rest of my family all has iPhones). But I'm really bummed about downgrading my screen size.

I kept thinking they were getting too big, but as I bumped from 3.5 to 4 to 4.8", it was really nice, and not too big for my pocket. A 5.5" Galaxy Note is a little large for the pocket, so I think there is a limit. But I was impressed Samsung Galaxy S4 went from 4.7 to 5" while actually reducing overall phone size from the S3. Alas, I need a phone now, so will not wait a year for the iPhone 6 or whatever. Thus my answer of "Prefer a larger screen size, but still plan to buy the iPhone at current size."

cgr1971

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Finn, I would like to see more width. I have big hands and have a terrible time typing on the 5 since it is so narrow. I feel it is more than screen size though, you need to look at the overall ergonomics. I briefly owned a HTC Droid DNA with the 5" screen. I didn't think too much about the one handed use argument until I had the DNA. I walked in to a Verizon store and saw the DNA for the first time and it's gorgeous 5" LCD screen and was totally wowed by it. I ended up picking up a used DNA to take for a test run and after using it for only a few days I found it somewhat cumbersome to use with one hand and didn't care for it. I also thought I liked Android playing with it in the store, but didn't care for it after really using it. I have a z10 and it is great for one handed use. I recently played with a Moto X, it is the same height and width as the z10 and I find them to be about perfect. I played with a HTC One and thought it was better than the DNA and really nice until I handled the Moto X. The z10 could easily have a 4.5" screen if it didn't have the ridiculously large bezel. I would like to see the iPhone sized the same as the z10 and the Moto X and then work backwards from there by fitting the largest screen in to it that they could by minimizing the bezel on the top and the sides and keeping the minimum space needed for the home button. Also whatever they do, I hope I never see a AMOLED screen in an any iPhone, I think the Retina display beats any AMOLED display on any phone by any manufacturer.

The z10 and the Nokia Lumia 920 also have a shorter and wider aspect ratio than the 16:9 aspect ratio of the iPhone 5 and most other phones now. The Lumia's 4.5" screen with it's wider aspect ratio would fit in the z10 body, would leave enough room for the home button, and would give a nice amount of added width without having a real tall display.

The software could also be tweaked so that things like going backwards in email, or the address bar in Safari were moved to the bottom of the screen like they are in BB10. If your not reaching for the top corner of the screen, you wouldn't notice the bigger size near as much.

I don't plan on buying a new iPhone until there is one with a larger display. I might pick up another used 5 though since I'm not sure how long I will put up with the quirkiness of the z10.

If and when Apple does offer an iPhone with a larger display, I am sure it will be like stepping up from the 3 series BMW that the iPhone is now to a 5 series.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably going to confuzzle you guys with my response...LOL.

I voted for "content, but open for larger screen size". As of now, I have the 4S, and the 3.5" screen does drive me NUTS at times and I need my reading glasses (hate that!) Now, I'm planning on moving to the 5C soon and I'm looking forward to the 4" screen to give me a little more comfort, but in all honesty, my aging eyes probably would fair well with a 4.5" screen, or maybe even a 5". BUT I've come to the conclussion, that IF the iPhone screen did go that big, I wouldn't be happy not being able to use it one handed.....but because iOS fits my needs/wants, I would deal with it:) If the iPhone ever got as big as the Note2 (which i actually considered at one point) I would NOT welcome that at all. After messing around with my uncles Note2 on more than several occassions, I find it too overwhelming for my petite little self to deal with a device that large!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So finally decided to vote and *drum roll*

Content with current screen size, but would be open to a larger iPhone.

I completely understand the people who don't want to buy the iPhone right now because there isn't a screen larger than the current 4" offering but I am absolutely content with the current screen size and hope next year they do increase the size to 4.5"-4.7" range.

IMO the iPhone still has one of the best designs and form factor of any smartphone out there.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If we had polled asking if people wanted plastic iPhones in different colors, then I'm sure we'd get a lot of no's. But we got the 5c. It's not what I wanted or asked for but it doesn't bother me.

This is the same IMO. As long as the bigger screen is a new model, it shouldn't really matter.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If we had polled asking if people wanted plastic iPhones in different colors, then I'm sure we'd get a lot of no's. But we got the 5c. It's not what I wanted or asked for but it doesn't bother me.

This is the same IMO. As long as the bigger screen is a new model, it shouldn't really matter.

You make a good point, provided I'm understanding you correctly. I for one was thinking that if Apple released a bigger phone, that's what we'd get and nothing else. With this release Apple showed that they're willing to release 2 new models simultaneously. That tells me that IF Apple comes out with a larger phone, they might also keep the 4" model. For example, a 4" iPhone 6 and a 4.7" iPhone 6.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You make a good point, provided I'm understanding you correctly. I for one was thinking that if Apple released a bigger phone, that's what we'd get and nothing else. With this release Apple showed that they're willing to release 2 new models simultaneously. That tells me that IF Apple comes out with a larger phone, they might also keep the 4" model. For example, a 4" iPhone 6 and a 4.7" iPhone 6.

Exactly. Apple wouldn't abandon the 4" screen. The only question is would they continue giving the 4" model the metal casing treatment or leave it to the C models. I think the popularity of the 5C may have them do the latter.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Apple wouldn't abandon the 4" screen. The only question is would they continue giving the 4" model the metal casing treatment or leave it to the C models. I think the popularity of the 5C may have them do the latter.

Makes perfect sense to keep the 4" screen for the cheaper of the two then increase the screen size for the flagship model.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I wish they would make the screen larger. Not android phablet size, but 4.3 would be fine. Even the current 4" size would be fine if they made it wider as well not just longer

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2