This is the first time I'm planning on ordering the new iPhone on release day. Given past history, is it better to order off of Apple or Verizon's website to get the 5S? Who has shipped faster in the past? Which site runs out of stock quicker? I'm getting the subsidized 16 GB model. Thanks!
    09-13-2013 01:23 PM
    I'd say Apple... once you have a UPS tracking number - you can direct UPS to hold it at their Depot and pick up rather than wait around all day until the UPS truck might get to you on their route sometime during the day...
    09-13-2013 01:27 PM
    I'd also say Apple the stores will always get more stock than the carriers and retail stores.
    09-13-2013 02:56 PM
    It's always a much more stream lined experience (in my opinion) to go through the Apple store and not the carrier. I stopped using the carrier to order my iPhone back when the 3G came out...
    09-13-2013 04:08 PM
    I am with every one else on this one i say Apple never had any issues i have ordered from the 4 and will soon be the 5s through their web portal. I am with ATT carriers seem to do crazy things with tracking and order status updates just look at the threads once they start.
    09-13-2013 05:00 PM
    For the best all around experience, I would definitely get it from Apple.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-13-2013 05:32 PM
    I'm ordering via Verizon since I'm doing an alternate upgrade and, as far as I know, there's no way to do that through Apple.
    09-13-2013 05:42 PM
    I'm ordering via Verizon since I'm doing an alternate upgrade and, as far as I know, there's no way to do that through Apple.
    I think it can be done in the Apple store on launch day since Verizon reps will be there to oversee any issues that come up.

09-13-2013 06:55 PM
    I'm ordering from Verizon. Not that the Apple experience is bad, but I have had really good luck getting the new phones the next week at Verizon stores. Apple stores are kind of my last ditch effort since the nearest one is close to 2 hours away.
    09-13-2013 07:15 PM
    I would go with Apple and I am in fact - My local Apple Store where I can go in and have that experience of taking off the shrink wrap, open the box and be the first to touch it before a Blue shirt starts adding it along with anything else I get to my Credit card.
    09-13-2013 07:21 PM
    Gotta be from Apple. Im sitting on a large balance Apple Store gift card...
    zachpenguin likes this.
    09-13-2013 07:24 PM
    I think it can be done in the Apple store on launch day since Verizon reps will be there to oversee any issues that come up.

I work though, so online is my only option. I'm ok with waiting a while for my phone to ship if it comes to that. I'm not in a massive hurry or anything. I'm a pretty patient dude, what can I say lol.
    09-13-2013 08:14 PM
    I haven't decided yet. I ordered the 4, 4s, and the 5 from Verizon. I am thinking about doing this one with Apple since they will give me a credit for my iPhone 5. Assuming I decide to order it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    09-13-2013 10:34 PM
    Question: if I order from Verizon, can I add AppleCare+?
    Buck1127 likes this.
    09-14-2013 10:02 AM
    Question: if I order from Verizon, can I add AppleCare+?
    Yes, you can. You have 30 days from the date that you purchase the iPhone to add AC+.
    09-14-2013 10:04 AM
    I'd be inclined to agree with getting it from Apple. Have you seen the lines on release day at the stores?
    09-14-2013 10:06 AM
    I'd be inclined to agree with getting it from Apple. Have you seen the lines on release day at the stores?
    I have, and the lines at Apple are a lot longer than the corporate stores. At least that is how it is in my area.
    09-14-2013 10:10 AM
    For those who have purchased at a Verizon store on release day, what kinds of lines have you encountered? How long of a wait? (Although I imagine with no pre-order this year, the situation will likely be different.)
    09-14-2013 01:01 PM
    09-14-2013 01:08 PM
    Since Apple isn't doing preorders for the iPhone 5S, I’m going to go stand in line at the VZW store. What time should I get there? Will I need to camp out over night?
    09-14-2013 02:55 PM
    I would try Apple first, if you don't get one, try the Verizon stores.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    09-14-2013 05:58 PM
    Would it make sense to order from Apple at 3:01 (for me) and then try to get one from Verizon that Friday and cancel the order from Apple if Verizon has them in stock? My only issue would be I can't get to the store until 11:45 Friday.
    09-14-2013 08:19 PM
    Apple simply because the return/exchange period is two weeks longer
    09-14-2013 10:51 PM
    Apple, because if there are ANY issues whatsoever, Apple has your back. Carriers, not so much. I bought 5 on launch day from VZW... Was in the first group of 7 customers into the store. The phone they handed to me happened to be one that had the infamous "dings and scratches right out of the box" problem. VZW refused to give me a different phone, even though they still had a room FULL of them. They said "too bad.. You have one. It works. When we get exchange stock (returns!) in, we will call you [they never called].

With VZW, When brand new 5 came to me damaged, I was out of luck to EVER have a brand new 5 from them, because they were only going to swap it for returns, not new. NOT OK. When those who bought from Apple found dings upon unboxing, Apple pulled a fresh new box off the pile and tried again.

With apple, you can change your mind about color, GB capacity, whatever-- within return period, you can simply walk in and exchange for different one. Even if it takes a bit longer to GET one from Apple, its worth the extra, agonizing wait to have the easy, friendly service from the moment it's in your hands.

I've bought iPhones from VZW, AT&T, and Apple. Will only ever buy from Apple -- the customer service is Just. That. Good.

Also - yes, you can buy AppleCare+ for a phone you buy from carrier, but you have to take it to an Apple store - they will lay eyes on it to be sure it is not already damaged when AppleCare coverage starts. This is true if you buy from Apple and add AppleCare+ after you leave the store- you have to go back in for quick inspection. This makes perfect sense -- you can't dunk or smash your phone, buy AppleCare remotely, then go make claim...
    09-15-2013 09:08 AM
    So if I go the Apple Store route, do they have to fully setup the phone, or can I take it back home and activate, and then restore from my most current iPhone backup?
    09-15-2013 06:53 PM
36 12