Better to order from Apple or Verizon?

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Would it make sense to order from Apple at 3:01 (for me) and then try to get one from Verizon that Friday and cancel the order from Apple if Verizon has them in stock? My only issue would be I can't get to the store until 11:45 Friday.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple, because if there are ANY issues whatsoever, Apple has your back. Carriers, not so much. I bought 5 on launch day from VZW... Was in the first group of 7 customers into the store. The phone they handed to me happened to be one that had the infamous "dings and scratches right out of the box" problem. VZW refused to give me a different phone, even though they still had a room FULL of them. They said "too bad.. You have one. It works. When we get exchange stock (returns!) in, we will call you [they never called].

With VZW, When brand new 5 came to me damaged, I was out of luck to EVER have a brand new 5 from them, because they were only going to swap it for returns, not new. NOT OK. When those who bought from Apple found dings upon unboxing, Apple pulled a fresh new box off the pile and tried again.

With apple, you can change your mind about color, GB capacity, whatever-- within return period, you can simply walk in and exchange for different one. Even if it takes a bit longer to GET one from Apple, its worth the extra, agonizing wait to have the easy, friendly service from the moment it's in your hands.

I've bought iPhones from VZW, AT&T, and Apple. Will only ever buy from Apple -- the customer service is Just. That. Good.

Also - yes, you can buy AppleCare+ for a phone you buy from carrier, but you have to take it to an Apple store - they will lay eyes on it to be sure it is not already damaged when AppleCare coverage starts. This is true if you buy from Apple and add AppleCare+ after you leave the store- you have to go back in for quick inspection. This makes perfect sense -- you can't dunk or smash your phone, buy AppleCare remotely, then go make claim...

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
So if I go the Apple Store route, do they have to fully setup the phone, or can I take it back home and activate, and then restore from my most current iPhone backup?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So if I go the Apple Store route, do they have to fully setup the phone, or can I take it back home and activate, and then restore from my most current iPhone backup?

They used to open it, activate it and send you on your way. Not sure if they still do that. With iCloud backups, you can restore from anywhere.

AirHej1

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I'm going to log onto Apple.com at 3am EST on Friday to order. I have to work in the morning and can't afford to wait in line at an Apple Store or Verizon.

If I do order on Apple.com and find out that a VZW store in my area has them in stock, am I able to cancel my Apple.com order?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I'm going to log onto Apple.com at 3am EST on Friday to order. I have to work in the morning and can't afford to wait in line at an Apple Store or Verizon.

If I do order on Apple.com and find out that a VZW store in my area has them in stock, am I able to cancel my Apple.com order?

I have the same question and idea in my head.

I can only *assume* you can as long as the item has not been shipped.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't even see an edit feature with the mobile web app so forgive me for this additional post. Anyway, this is direct from Apple's website:

Apple Help - Viewing and Changing Orders - Apple Store (U.S.)

Cancel Order
If your item(s) are not in Prepared for Shipment or Shipped status, you may be able to cancel an item or the entire order online.

To cancel an order or item, visit online Order Status, and click the View Orders button. From the Your Orders page, find the item you want to cancel and click the Cancel items link.

Once you've submitted your cancel request, the status message of the item(s) will read Canceled or Pickup Canceled. If you canceled an item shipping to a physical address, you will not be billed for your item. If you canceled a pickup item, you may have been billed. We will initiate your refund immediately after you submit your cancel request.

If you are unable to cancel item(s) online, you may be able to return your item. To see if your item is eligible for a return, refer to the Returns & Refunds Help page or call Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775.

rjkgr

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd say Apple... once you have a UPS tracking number - you can direct UPS to hold it at their Depot and pick up rather than wait around all day until the UPS truck might get to you on their route sometime during the day...
hey thanks guys for this! and does anyone know the price wholesale? without contract?

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't even see an edit feature with the mobile web app so forgive me for this additional post. Anyway, this is direct from Apple's website:

Apple Help - Viewing and Changing Orders - Apple Store (U.S.)

Cancel Order
If your item(s) are not in Prepared for Shipment or Shipped status, you may be able to cancel an item or the entire order online.

To cancel an order or item, visit online Order Status, and click the View Orders button. From the Your Orders page, find the item you want to cancel and click the Cancel items link.

Once you've submitted your cancel request, the status message of the item(s) will read Canceled or Pickup Canceled. If you canceled an item shipping to a physical address, you will not be billed for your item. If you canceled a pickup item, you may have been billed. We will initiate your refund immediately after you submit your cancel request.

If you are unable to cancel item(s) online, you may be able to return your item. To see if your item is eligible for a return, refer to the Returns & Refunds Help page or call Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775.

Good deal, thanks. I guess I'll stick with an order at 3am and keep my fingers crossed for getting one in store at lunch and being able to cancel my online order, if I'm lucky enough to get in. Otherwise I'll hope for the in store! Luckily I live and work in an area where I don't expect people to be lining up for the phone at the VZW store or Walmart. No Apple stores for hours but there are a couple of authorized sellers in the area that I could check, too.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Being that I'm doing an alternate upgrade (using the upgrade from another line to upgrade my line), I think I should go through Verizon. It seems like such a hassle to order through apple then have to call verizon and have them activate it on the right line. People have posted complicated processes to do it myself, but wouldn't it be easier to order through Verizon?

I mean they give you the option to do the alternate upgrade right there when you order the phone! Doesn't get easier than that.

Edit: also, I can't wait in lines because I work :(.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't ever buy phones from Verizon anymore. Never had good in store experience with them. Either from Apple or Best Buy. I prefer Best Buy just because its closer and their geek squad coverage. Prefer that over Apple care.

nycgooner

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
you dont have to take it to the store to get applecare+. I ordered my 5 from VZW - called apple 2 weeks later and bought applecare+ over the phone

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro