So if I go the Apple Store route, do they have to fully setup the phone, or can I take it back home and activate, and then restore from my most current iPhone backup?
    They used to open it, activate it and send you on your way. Not sure if they still do that. With iCloud backups, you can restore from anywhere.
    Trees likes this.
    09-15-2013 07:07 PM
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I'm going to log onto Apple.com at 3am EST on Friday to order. I have to work in the morning and can't afford to wait in line at an Apple Store or Verizon.

If I do order on Apple.com and find out that a VZW store in my area has them in stock, am I able to cancel my Apple.com order?
    09-16-2013 12:52 PM
    If I do order on Apple.com and find out that a VZW store in my area has them in stock, am I able to cancel my Apple.com order?
    I have the same question and idea in my head.
    09-16-2013 03:47 PM
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I'm going to log onto Apple.com at 3am EST on Friday to order. I have to work in the morning and can't afford to wait in line at an Apple Store or Verizon.

I have the same question and idea in my head.
    I can only *assume* you can as long as the item has not been shipped.
    09-16-2013 03:53 PM
    I don't even see an edit feature with the mobile web app so forgive me for this additional post. Anyway, this is direct from Apple's website:

Apple Help - Viewing and Changing Orders - Apple Store (U.S.)

Cancel Order
    If your item(s) are not in Prepared for Shipment or Shipped status, you may be able to cancel an item or the entire order online.

To cancel an order or item, visit online Order Status, and click the View Orders button. From the Your Orders page, find the item you want to cancel and click the Cancel items link.

Once you've submitted your cancel request, the status message of the item(s) will read Canceled or Pickup Canceled. If you canceled an item shipping to a physical address, you will not be billed for your item. If you canceled a pickup item, you may have been billed. We will initiate your refund immediately after you submit your cancel request.

If you are unable to cancel item(s) online, you may be able to return your item. To see if your item is eligible for a return, refer to the Returns & Refunds Help page or call Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775.
    AirHej1 likes this.
    09-16-2013 04:02 PM
    I'd say Apple... once you have a UPS tracking number - you can direct UPS to hold it at their Depot and pick up rather than wait around all day until the UPS truck might get to you on their route sometime during the day...
    hey thanks guys for this! and does anyone know the price wholesale? without contract?
    09-16-2013 04:19 PM
    I don't even see an edit feature with the mobile web app so forgive me for this additional post. Anyway, this is direct from Apple's website:

Apple Help - Viewing and Changing Orders - Apple Store (U.S.)

Cancel Order
    If your item(s) are not in Prepared for Shipment or Shipped status, you may be able to cancel an item or the entire order online.

To cancel an order or item, visit online Order Status, and click the View Orders button. From the Your Orders page, find the item you want to cancel and click the Cancel items link.

Once you've submitted your cancel request, the status message of the item(s) will read Canceled or Pickup Canceled. If you canceled an item shipping to a physical address, you will not be billed for your item. If you canceled a pickup item, you may have been billed. We will initiate your refund immediately after you submit your cancel request.

If you are unable to cancel item(s) online, you may be able to return your item. To see if your item is eligible for a return, refer to the Returns & Refunds Help page or call Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775.
    Good deal, thanks. I guess I'll stick with an order at 3am and keep my fingers crossed for getting one in store at lunch and being able to cancel my online order, if I'm lucky enough to get in. Otherwise I'll hope for the in store! Luckily I live and work in an area where I don't expect people to be lining up for the phone at the VZW store or Walmart. No Apple stores for hours but there are a couple of authorized sellers in the area that I could check, too.
    09-16-2013 07:59 PM
    Being that I'm doing an alternate upgrade (using the upgrade from another line to upgrade my line), I think I should go through Verizon. It seems like such a hassle to order through apple then have to call verizon and have them activate it on the right line. People have posted complicated processes to do it myself, but wouldn't it be easier to order through Verizon?

I mean they give you the option to do the alternate upgrade right there when you order the phone! Doesn't get easier than that.

Edit: also, I can't wait in lines because I work .
    09-17-2013 07:45 AM
    I have always chose to order directly from Apple.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    09-17-2013 08:24 AM
    I don't ever buy phones from Verizon anymore. Never had good in store experience with them. Either from Apple or Best Buy. I prefer Best Buy just because its closer and their geek squad coverage. Prefer that over Apple care.
    09-17-2013 08:33 AM
    you dont have to take it to the store to get applecare+. I ordered my 5 from VZW - called apple 2 weeks later and bought applecare+ over the phone
    09-17-2013 10:23 AM
36 12