cnet Article: Five disappointing things about the iPhone 5S

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't find anything listed as a "disappointment" at all. With an "s" series release, most of us are aware of really what to expect (upgrades internally, but not an overhaul of the hardware, screen size, etc), but I guess the same doesn't go for the general public. Either way, I found it interesting to read the opinions in the comments section.

Five disappointing things about the iPhone 5S | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
*eye. roll.*
1) I am happy the screen didn't get bigger. Some of you recall my comment about it already being impossible to fit in the pocket of my jeans (I AM NOT A GUY DAMMIT, MY POCKETS ARE NOT CAVERNS!) so I am relieved, and really am hopeful that they don't succumb to all the drama about bigger screens.

2) It may be "just a phone" but a lot of people don't use their computers as much as they used to, and do a significant amount of emailing, purchasing, blogging, picture taking, whathaveyou on their phones. So it may be "just a phone" but it's still gotta perform!

3) He's got me there, Agreed.

4) Again, Agreed. I wanted a 128.

5) Yes, you are being to hard on the iPhone5S, it is an S, moderate Spec Bump. But it's the biggest "moderate spec bump" to date, captain whineypants.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
What I love about all the articles like this is they all say it's playing catchup with better smartphones, they list all the things that didn't happen that other phones have. Yet, here's the best part, they still own an iPhone lol *Fail*

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
What I love about all the articles like this is they all say it's playing catchup with better smartphones, they list all the things that didn't happen that other phones have. Yet, here's the best part, they still own an iPhone lol *Fail*

It's usually the same writers that claim that the other Android devices are too big and come with too many gimmicks that they will never use. The iPhone is what it is. Why do people want to continue to make it into something it isn't.

Sent from my smoking hot iPhone 5 in white!

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
1. The screen remains the same

I understand this is an issue with a lot of users and I'm sure Apple at some point will release a "big screen" iPhone. I am like a lot of iMore posters that don't believe the lack of a larger screen is a huge issue but many consumers do and Apple will eventually have to respond to what consumers want.

2. A faster processor? It's just a phone!

The "It's just a phone" statement is lame. The author sounds like some of the diehard CrackBerry posters who defend the lack of apps available for their beloved BlackBerry devices. The iPhone is no longer "just a phone." My iPhone is my radio, daily newspaper, camera, and television. It is how I see photos of my grandchildren, conduct my banking business, and keep up to date on happenings with my favorite sports teams. It is my dictionary, GPS, address book, and calendar. I'm sure every other iPhone owner could make the same type of list. Any tech writer that uses the "its just a phone" statement proves he/she is out of touch.

I do have a question about the faster processor. Does the speed of the processor improve streaming audio and video?

3. No improvement to battery life

Everyone would like to have a phone with better battery life. I'm not sure what the trade off is between process speed and battery life on the iPhone 5s, so I will have to reserve judgement on this until I get my new phone.

4. Still no 128GB model

I admit it would be nice to have a 128GB iPhone.

5. A little catch-up, very little innovation

Saying Apple is no longer "innovative" seems to be the current favorite attack from many in the media and users of other smart phones. The folks lobbing this attack need to give it a rest. Innovation in any industry cannot continue exponentially forever.

Last edited:

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree that Apple doesn't innovate seems to be the favorite attack these days. But if you really think about it, outside of NFC, what have the other smartphone manufactures actually done that was innovative with the hardware? Nothing. And software? Outside of some gimmicks, nothing much.

Sent from my smoking hot iPhone 5 in white!

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
ya frnd i seen artical .... 64bit processor is ok .... but big missing is that screen improvement of 5s not liked .... same as 5 then most up require 128gb that great option... cos idevice have most up big sized things include all media app music pic...... video,,,,,,, ???

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
ya frnd i seen artical .... 64bit processor is ok .... but big missing is that screen improvement of 5s not liked .... same as 5 then most up require 128gb that great option... cos idevice have most up big sized things include all media app music pic...... video,,,,,,, ???

Personally, I don’t have a need for a 128gb device. I buy 32gb devices (iPhone and iPad), but my needs are probably different from yours. While I wouldn’t need it, and therefore wouldn’t be interested, I half-way expected a 128gb version this year. However that would have pushed the price up another $100 if Apple's pricing scheme holds... meaning an on-contract phone could cost $499 US... and off-contract, it would cost $949 US. That is a lot of money for a phone.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
In theory they'd have dropped 16GB, and gone 32, 64, 128, so I'd be paying the same as I'd pay for a 64.

I could find a way to use it...

Just because, in theory, that they would drop the 16g, doesn't mean the price would stay the same for higher models.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I agree with is #1. It's the reason I use an HTC One. I personally think they should have doubled the resolution of the screen like they did with the iPad, and released an iPhone 5 SS with a 4.5 or 4.7" screen to go along with the 5C and 5S.

While I waited for the iPad 4 to upgrade my iPad 1, I will probably buy an iPad 5 when they are released. (Wife wants my 4.)

32 gig is enough storage for my "pocket" computer, since when I travel I have the iPad with me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice