Where does my fingerprint end up?

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I know it may sound like a naive question and I suppose it is but I am not a tech guy and security is important to me. I have not seen this asked or answered.......
After setting up and using the fingerprint scanner on a 5s, where does my fingerprint end up after it has been logged as mine? In other words, am I right to assume that now my fingerprint is accessible to any halfway decent hacker? It seems that the more "security" is involved with technology, the more of "me" gets filed somewhere and I feel more vulnerable than if I don't use passwords, codes and fingerprint scanners. Am I being paranoid or realistic?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The fingerprint reader stores a numeric representation the sensor creates within the phone itself, is encrypted - and is never stored outside the phone or backed up anywhere.

Video - New iPhone Won't Store Fingerprints - WSJ.com

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...%26subId2%3Dvbim%23video-touch&token=0qpZjGqX

Apple is saying that even if someone were to get your phone, the fingerprint data is not an image that can be extracted - but it is an encrypted data file of a numeric representation of your fingerprint - so someone would have to hack your phone... hack the system chip, find the encrypted file and have to break the encryption to see this numeric representation of your fingerprint... and part of the sensor is to detect a live finger - so a Mythbusters-esque attempt at circumventing a fingerprint reader with a print on a fake finger won't be possible.

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple says a user's fingerprint will be stored in a "Secure Enclave" on the smartphone's processing chip. It will never get stored on Apple servers or iCloud

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The fingerprint reader stores a numeric representation the sensor creates within the phone itself, is encrypted - and is never stored outside the phone or backed up anywhere.

Video - New iPhone Won't Store Fingerprints - WSJ.com

Apple - iPhone 5s - Videos

Apple is saying that even if someone were to get your phone, the fingerprint data is not an image that can be extracted - but it is an encrypted data file of a numeric representation of your fingerprint - so someone would have to hack your phone... hack the system chip, find the encrypted file and have to break the encryption to see this numeric representation of your fingerprint... and part of the sensor is to detect a live finger - so a Mythbusters-esque attempt at circumventing a fingerprint reader with a print on a fake finger won't be possible.

Which seems a whole lot more difficult than someone dusting your phone for prints. It's not like our fingerprints are hard to find if someone were to want to frame us or something. They're everywhere.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would be highly disappointed if register my print and then take a black paper over the button and it uses my last print

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
My paranoia stems from having my identity stolen in the past. I just question how far this whole "security" thing will go. Where are we heading......DNA security systems to unlock iPhone 10? I don't want my fingerprints in my phone system. I think not having sensitive information on your phone is more secure than using fingerprints to unlock it but I admit that I find it easy to not keep life in my phone (I could get along just fine with a basic calls-only phone albeit not comfortably) and I'm more paranoid about it than the average user.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to use it... You can surely just use pass code.

​Or like you mentioned, keep the device clean...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to use it... You can surely just use pass code.

​Or like you mentioned, keep the device clean...

From what I've seen thus far... if you enable the fingerprint thing, you are also required to have a pass code - and - if you don't unlock the phone for 48 hours - it will require the pass code...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen thus far... if you enable the fingerprint thing, you are also required to have a pass code - and - if you don't unlock the phone for 48 hours - it will require the pass code...

It will also require the pass code when the device is turned on. So if it’s off, you need to use the pass code to access it the first time.

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A moderator at AndroidCentral was telling everyone that the finger print scanner is less secure than a pass code, he was very convinced of that and he said that the print will be stored as a 10 digit number of 1 or 0, which according to him is less secure than a 4 digit code to the power of 10.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
A moderator at AndroidCentral was telling everyone that the finger print scanner is less secure than a pass code, he was very convinced of that and he said that the print will be stored as a 10 digit number of 1 or 0, which according to him is less secure than a 4 digit code to the power of 10.
Have the AC Mod explain how the supposed 10 digit number can be extracted from a phone... oh, it's encrypted. Have them explain how they'll decrypt it once extracted from the phone...

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
My paranoia stems from having my identity stolen in the past. I just question how far this whole "security" thing will go. Where are we heading......DNA security systems to unlock iPhone 10? I don't want my fingerprints in my phone system. I think not having sensitive information on your phone is more secure than using fingerprints to unlock it but I admit that I find it easy to not keep life in my phone (I could get along just fine with a basic calls-only phone albeit not comfortably) and I'm more paranoid about it than the average user.

It's very simple then.... don't buy it or don't use the feature!

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
A regular person won't be able to get into the phone unless they are super smart. Now the NSA on the other hand, lol. They will get anything they can.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Don't buy it then.

Your fingerprint isn't going to be stolen from the iPhone 5S from anyone who couldn't get it just as easy without the phone, but convincing someone who is paranoid about it is impossible. Your identity could be stolen from the finger print you left on your car door if someone really wanted to get it...your information floats around so many channels that you don't even know about that an iPhone unlock feature should be the last thing you should concern yourself with if you're scared someone is going to steal your identity again...to be honest, the iPhone 5S is offering you a multitude of layers of security, I would think someone paranoid about this kind of thing would be more inclined to buy it and use it vs. other offerings on the market that only offer basic passcode type security features.

Then again, logic and paranoia are typically not good bed fellows...so just do whatever helps you be a little less obsessed with what "COULD" happen today...you COULD get hit by an asteroid when you walk out of the house tomorrow, so why not live a little?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro