Which trade in program is better? Apple or Verizon

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a 4s 16gb and want to upgrade to the 5s but am wondering which trade in program is better. I know that Vz will give me $200 for my current phone and that you mail it back after you receive the new phone and they send you a gift card that can used on your monthly bill or accessories at Vz. (Just got off the phone with Vz about this.)

From what I can find online, Apple won't tell you the trade in value of your phone until you are in the process of trading it in and actually buying the 5s. I would like to find out ahead of time what Apple will give me for my 4s before getting locked into buying the 5s from them as their trade in value may be lots less than Verizon. Also could you make an appt with Apple on Sept 20 and do the trade in then and walk out with a new 5s or do they ship to you later?

Thanks

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just checked and Apple will give me $175 for my 4s 16gb.........it seems that if you use Apples trade in program you get a gift card and must use it toward a new device. Not sure how that would work if you order the 5s online on Sept 20 as you must pay for it then, so maybe you have to wait and buy the 5s in the store and not pre order if you want to use the gift card. On the Apple phone app it only goes to Sept 17 to make an appt with a "genius".......I was going to order it online on the 20th but need the trade in gift card to put towards it..Even if you can make an appt to do the trade in and buy the 5s the lines are going to be terrible........man this new trade in program is causing a headache as far as how to use it.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Sell it on eBay or Craigslist and get more $$ and cash, NOT a gift card to use only their. Just my $0.02

Just what I was going to say! I am always amazed that people trade in their items and lose out on money. You could sell your phone for at least $250, I'd say probably $300 maybe more if you have cases and that way you have cash to go buy your new phone wherever you want!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine why people actually consider these trade in services unless they just have zero time or ability to sell their phone...you are literally throwing HUNDREDS of dollars away trading it in, and the effort you have to put forth is so minimal, I just can't see the logic unless it's a forced hand situation.

I've already sold my iPhone 5 for $400, and I didn't even have to try at all...guy asked me what I wanted, I said $400 and he said "You got it." $400...with zero effort besides finding the box in my closet at home, lol.

**Edit - Just checked the PowerOn trade in value for my iPhone, and I got a $325 credit...not bad, but why not get the extra cash for little to no effort by selling it? Admittedly, $325 was significantly better than I was expecting to see, and FAR better than Gazelle and others like it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You will get a lot more selling it on ebay. All those trade in programs are low balling. You should be able to get at least $300 for an iPhone 4S on ebay.