Finger print scanner question.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: iphone 5S: fingerprint scanner

Waiting for "the iphone is a pos because I was eating buffalo wings and couldn't answer my phone" . . .

That's one of those cases where it's better not to multitask. I would not want to hear someone smackin' on a wing.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know it was optional but who wouldn't want the more secure way of protecting a device.

So I can register 5 fingers? Is that 5 fingers in different orientation?

So my thumb straight on and at an angle counts as 1?
I finger at 360 degrees counts a one register.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
fingerprint scanner is optional to use. you can still set passcode as a default way to unlock your phone.
anyways you can register upto 5 fingers, which maybe of anyone. so, all those registered fingers can unlock the phone for you.

I thought so. If I get the 5s I have no plans in using the finger print scanner. Since it is optional.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep politics out of this discussion. There are other venues to take part in that sort of thing.

Thanks

Tilman Mueller

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Might be a silly question, but will this new sensor still be "a button to press"?
I'm just wondering, since many phones can do without a button.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Might be a silly question, but will this new sensor still be "a button to press"?
I'm just wondering, since many phones can do without a button.
The the button part will still function as before... but the sensor part functions by resting your finger on it without actually pushing it...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Waiting for "the iphone is a pos because I was eating buffalo wings and couldn't answer my phone" . . .

That happens to me all the time lol

I just have one question after reading this thread. Some of you really use your other thumb and other fingers to unlock the phone? Always the same thumb on the same hand for me.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Personally I couldn't care less if the NSA, FBI, CIA have my fingerprint. It's not like I've never had to scan it travelling by plane or across the border (Canada to US). Do people really think if the government agency wanted it the iPhone is their only hope of getting it? I would be more worried if third party apps could access it so it might get into unknown people's hands.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

I just have one question after reading this thread. Some of you really use your other thumb and other fingers to unlock the phone? Always the same thumb on the same hand for me.

Really then how would you hold a gun on someone and call 911 at the same time. Just Saying

Sent from my iPhone 5

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Personally I couldn't care less if the NSA, FBI, CIA have my fingerprint. It's not like I've never had to scan it travelling by plane or across the border (Canada to US). Do people really think if the government agency wanted it the iPhone is their only hope of getting it? I would be more worried if third party apps could access it so it might get into unknown people's hands.

You do understand, sir, that common sense and simple deductive reasoning have no place on a pubic discussion forum, right?

Seriously though, while there’s nothing wrong with protecting your personal security and privacy, some of this is simply not worth the effort...if the government needs any information about me, but probably already have it. For example, if you’ve ever gone through a background check for any kind of activity with or around children (church youth worker, summer camp volunteer, elementary school custodian, etc), they already have your fingerprints...

The really funny thing about paranoia is that in 99% of the cases, those who should be worried about such things aren’t... and those that needn’t be worried, are...

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

even if you set up the fingerprint option you can still choose to login with a passcode. also passcodes are mandatory with the fingerprint function so that in case it fails, you're not locked out of the device. also it can read in 360 degrees. once you set it up, it works in any direction, and you have set up more than one fingerprint say for the wife, etc. Its also stored locally in the A7 CPU and encrypted so the NSA stuff is nonsense. I can't wait for this feature. I'm lazy and never used the passcode. I'll use this.

YES, YES, and YES. You said it 100% perfectly. I'm reading all these posts, and my green lights are flickering all over my mind:
1. Touch ID is to bypass passwords: unlock phone, purchase app, pretty certain third party apps.
2. The driving in car scenario: when you hand the phone to your passenger it will unlock the phone while you're passing it with your thumb on the button
3. ...or tell your passenger the code instead, he/she swipes (like old days) and put in the code (like old days)
4. Enabling Touch ID (fingerprint sensor) does NOT disable/hide original Swipe to Unlock/Pin Code process.
5. NSA stuff as John mentioned is a desperate attempt by the trolls to discredit their jealousy toward this new feature.
6. From reports: it is five (5) fingers in any orientation. The sensor will adjust automatically, but they do have you pick up the phone different ways when during initial setup just in case your thumb or fingers are placed on button sideways.
7. Sweaty fingers: we dont know that, but I'm guessing you really have to be dripping for it to have an issue. I'm in construction so I sweat a lot on the job, but the way I see it, you'll quickly learn how sweaty you can be to use the sensor, and go straight for pincode instead.
8. I will use the tip of my nose as one of my 5 fingerprint for laughs (if it reads it). 3 prints is more the plenty for me.

Based on videos I've seen, I do hope that Apple updates the UI to show the pin code screen as well with a "try again" prompt, instead of swiping first to do it the old way.

mpham2

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

You should be able to hold your gun to the person and hit the emergency button on the phone and call 911. If you can remember the number.:)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I do, depends what I am doing. Most often either my right hand thumb or forefinger, sometimes my left thumb.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

If you've been in the investment industry, you've been fingerprinted. And again with each firm if you change companies.

Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner