Finger print scanner question.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Please correct me if I am wrong but the Finger print scanner seems to me to over look a very common practice amongst phone users.

Say for example I'm in the car driving down a busy Motorway (or perhaps Highway...) and I get a text from someone. At a glance I notice it is from someone who I need to reply to immediately. As in the UK it is illegal to 'use a hand-held mobile device or similar device when operating a vehicle' I can't just pick the phone up and reply and Siri isn't yet built in to my car so I pass the phone to a passenger, tell them the password and let them get on with replying for me.

Can someone please confirm if you can register several users fingerprints or by pass the finger scan with a passcode?

Personally I am not an iPhone user anymore as I transfered to the HTC ONE but I am still a technology enthusiast and would like to know how this will work in real life.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
fingerprint scanner is optional to use. you can still set passcode as a default way to unlock your phone.
anyways you can register upto 5 fingers, which maybe of anyone. so, all those registered fingers can unlock the phone for you.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I know it was optional but who wouldn't want the more secure way of protecting a device.

So I can register 5 fingers? Is that 5 fingers in different orientation?

So my thumb straight on and at an angle counts as 1?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I know it was optional but who wouldn't want the more secure way of protecting a device.

I was thinking the same thing as I pick up my phone and unlock it with a different hand sometimes so I would have to reg multiple fingers if i even choose to use it as I have a LP Fre case that I'm assuming wouldn't work with the sensor

Sent from my iPhone 5

bitshifter1001

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that it recognizes fingers in any orientation (360 degrees). So your thumb, at any angle, counts as one. At least that is how I understood it.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
when you first do the fingersprint scanner upon getting the phone, it will ask you to put your finger on the scanner and pick it up, then put it down again in a different angle that way you can get all different angles and it recognizes your print. i believe your also able to put other fingers on there as well, my fiance is going to have access to it as well just incase i cant text bck or unlock while driving.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
When you register your fingerprint, the device has you tap and touch from all angles so that in the end, you can press from any angle and still unlock your device. If you go to YouTube, there are many hands-on videos demonstrating this.

Edit: Dennis beat me to it while I was typing :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

It’s 5 different fingers, regardless of orientation. The scanner will auto-correct the orientation of the scan, so a thumb is a thumb is a thumb. You can do both thumbs, both index fingers and your wife/husband's left thumb, for example. Or just do both your left and right thumbs and call it good.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I planned on setting up my thumbs on both hands, plus one forefinger and then my husband's thumb or forefinger as I often have him check my phone for me while driving or if I am in the other room doing something and read messages to me. He said he has no intentions of doing that but I am more concerned about that in an instance of "what if something happens to me, and you need into my phone!" He has to be able to get in in that case since even though I have synced my medical stuff to both phones, as well as his medical stuff to both phones, that's kind of important. We share the 1Password data too, so he needs into that as well. But he knows my passcode, so if there's a bypass which I do hope there will be, then he can I guess still get in. I have watched friends lose their spouses super suddenly, and then be locked out...I don't want that to happen to one of us!

If I am alone in my car, and I receive a text, I don't respond til I am in a parking lot or at a light.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Rumor says that another feature of 5s will be applied to internet payment?!this is right or false....

Possibly... but at this point, the API is not available to developers... so if it does happen, it will be only for Apple developed apps (at least initially) like iTunes... and maybe the Apple Store app.

el_capitan10

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the passcode can still be there, the fingerprint is just a way of quickly bypassing that. Or you could simply tap your thumb to the home button while you are passing the phone on to the passenger, from the videos I've seen it looks like it takes no more than a second to unlock. I'm pretty sure all of us could find the home button for a second while still keeping our eyes on the road.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: iphone 5S: fingerprint scanner

even if you set up the fingerprint option you can still choose to login with a passcode. also passcodes are mandatory with the fingerprint function so that in case it fails, you're not locked out of the device. also it can read in 360 degrees. once you set it up, it works in any direction, and you have set up more than one fingerprint say for the wife, etc. Its also stored locally in the A7 CPU and encrypted so the NSA stuff is nonsense. I can't wait for this feature. I'm lazy and never used the passcode. I'll use this.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Next thing you know, the trolls will be here trying to post about how the fingerprint sensor doesn't work well under water, LOL!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Why would you not wipe your finger off first anyway? I don't EVER touch my phone with an even slightly damp hand.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

Waiting for "the iphone is a pos because I was eating buffalo wings and couldn't answer my phone" . . .

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I use biometric finger print scanners at work to clock in and out and override things .. I just hope the iPhones are better than those because if not apple is in trouble ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen