Who is jumping ship from BlackBerry or Android TO Apple now with today's Announcement?

Who Is Jumping Ship TO Apple from BlackBerry or Android?

• YES - Leaving BlackBerry

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • YES - Leaving Android

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • NO - Staying Where I Am

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Not Sure What I Am Going To Do Yet

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
As stated until apple goes to at least a 4.5" screen and offer battery life equal to what I'm using now I'm staying.

sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2
We still recognize and welcome Android or Droid users in our Apple friendly forum. Join in anytime and keep us up to date on that battery life ok? :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
When I started this thread I must have put in an answer for battery life but I can't find it anywhere...hmmmm! anyway as long as a few would like to be on the subject I wonder although the 5 and 4S mainly will not have the A7 chip and many of the software saving the way things are going to work with the combo of iOS 7 along with the A7 i would like to know once enough of us upgrade your OS to 7 will it improve the battery life mainly because of what OS 7 has built into it and thee way it controls things?
Are there any volunteers to make sure we get screen shots and keep it going to do some comparrisons? Well Swarlos than you so much, that is really nice of you to help and volunteer. :rotfl:

mrb666

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I was all blackberry for years. Around 3years ago I was due an upgrade and as my bb was in perfect condition I thought I would gave a play with iPhone then well sell it.
Within the week the bb was sold and I've never looked back. I've now the 5, Apple TV and a mini oh and imatch.
I personally believe that there are numerous phones on different platforms that come close to iPhone but FOR ME Idevises tick the boxes.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
My decision to switch from Android to iOS isn't so much due to the announcement of the new phone, I've just been tired of Android for a long while now. when my music app force closes on a daily basis and I can't seem to ever get reliable GPS no matter what I do, there's a bit of a problem that I never had on my iPhone 4. and since its been a few years, I'm pretty excited to see all the improvements over iOS 5.

Plus, Gold.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My decision to switch from Android to iOS isn't so much due to the announcement of the new phone, I've just been tired of Android for a long while now. when my music app force closes on a daily basis and I can't seem to ever get reliable GPS no matter what I do, there's a bit of a problem that I never had on my iPhone 4. and since its been a few years, I'm pretty excited to see all the improvements over iOS 5.

Plus, Gold.

I hear ya. I'm still a big Android guy, but for me, the quality control of some of the manufacturer's Android phones is just horrible. I went though three HTC One GPe's before asking for a refund. All had dead pixels. Now, this could just be an HTC thing, because my old One X had it too. But I've also heard similar stories from Samsung owners on various phones. You can't deny the build quality and quality control of Apple products. Never had an issue on my iPhone 4. About time I have a phone that just works with no flaws, and does a good job at it. And, if there's an issue? Boom, take it in to the local Apple store instead of waiting a week to get it back and dealing with authorization charges on my credit card.

xman1102

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy reading alot of good info here since I'll be jumping ship from my GalaxyS3 to the iphone 5s next week.

However, the banter between IOS and Android is so juvenile I don't know how much I'll post.

It's like I'm back in high school all over again. I left that crap behind 20+ years ago.

Sent from me phone

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, I've been there. In fact I'm defending the iPhone 5S on Android Central fit now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OMG Chet read through that iPhone 5S rant thread I believe started by DroidArmy man I want to slap that guy!! What a classic example of a rampant apple hater.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
When I started this thread I must have put in an answer for battery life but I can't find it anywhere...hmmmm! anyway as long as a few would like to be on the subject I wonder although the 5 and 4S mainly will not have the A7 chip and many of the software saving the way things are going to work with the combo of iOS 7 along with the A7 i would like to know once enough of us upgrade your OS to 7 will it improve the battery life mainly because of what OS 7 has built into it and thee way it controls things?
Are there any volunteers to make sure we get screen shots and keep it going to do some comparrisons? Well Swarlos than you so much, that is really nice of you to help and volunteer. :rotfl:

Wait wait what?! LOL.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
OMG Chet read through that iPhone 5S rant thread I believe started by DroidArmy man I want to slap that guy!! What a classic example of a rampant apple hater.

Yeah some of the stuff he said was insane. You should go to the "Why exactly does iOS 7 need to be 64 bit" to see real Apple haters. Me and another guy are gonna go insane defending Apple on there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah some of the stuff he said was insane. You should go to the "Why exactly does iOS 7 need to be 64 bit" to see real Apple haters. Me and another guy are gonna go insane defending Apple on there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app

That on AC also?

claudeburdel

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've jumped around for four years between BB, iPhone, WP7, Android, WP8, and now back to iPhone, having ordered the 5C.

I originally bought an iPhone 3G in 2009. I liked it, but after several months I downloaded the new iOS version (I forget which one it was). Apple said that it would run on the 3G, but it made the phone slow and laggy. I was so annoyed that I swore "never again" for Apple. (Now that I'm slightly more savvy than I was about smartphones, I realize that it's probably not the best idea to download a new OS onto a two-year-old device.)

Having tried WP and Android, I'm now excited to be returning to Apple. I liked WP, and found the graphics and style strongly appealing. My problem was the apps. I never used a ton of apps, so although I knew going in that there wouldn't be the same app availability as Apple's or Android's, I didn't think I'd have a problem. What I didn't realize was that you don't have to be a heavy app user in order to have an app problem on WP. If one new service/app comes out that you really want to use, and you can't because your smartphone platform doesn't have that app, then your experience of the phone is significantly impacted, and now you have an app problem.

In my case, the last straw was Uber. I grew up in NYC and never learned to drive, and my current job involves going to different locations in my metropolitan area every day, so I rely a lot on public transportation. Uber would be very useful for me, since sometimes I need to get to locations that aren't served by public transit. But Uber only has an Apple and an Android app. They did have a WP app for a short while, but it was only a web wrapper and received such wretched reviews on the Microsoft app store that Uber pulled it. I realize I could use the Uber's mobile site, but it surely wouldn't be as easy and pleasant to use as an actual app.

Now that I'm waiting for my iPhone to arrive on Friday, I've been researching what apps I'll want. I knew Apple's selection would be better than Microsoft's, but I'm shocked by the vastly greater quality and quantity of apps. It seems like developers are simply not going to devote the same resources to developing for WP as they do for Apple and Android, if they even bother developing for it at all.

I also grew frustrated with Microsoft's seemingly glacial pace in terms of updating their phone OS. It seemed like they were only ever going to allot a certain amount of resources to WP, and no more, and all of those resources were spent in improving the software to handle new hardware, with very little being spent on actually improving the user experience. It's nice that Microsoft just invested $7 billion in mobile hardware, but it would have been nicer if they would have spent even a fraction of that over the past two years on improving the OS in ways that users would notice. WP8.1 will be out next year, so there will be some improvements there, but Microsoft has a lot of catching up to do and they don't seem in very much of a hurry.

I'm still enamored of the WP interface, though, and I do think a Windows Phone would work well for a lot of people who really don't need to use apps at all, just the main smartphone functions. I wish Microsoft well, and I hope those users who are patient and loyal enough to stick with it get some good improvements and app progress, which they certainly deserve. I'm very much looking forward to using iOS 7 for many of the same reasons that I like WP -- I love the whole flat-bright-color thing, and the thin, sans-serif typography.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've jumped around for four years between BB, iPhone, WP7, Android, WP8, and now back to iPhone, having ordered the 5C.

I originally bought an iPhone 3G in 2009. I liked it, but after several months I downloaded the new iOS version (I forget which one it was). Apple said that it would run on the 3G, but it made the phone slow and laggy. I was so annoyed that I swore "never again" for Apple. (Now that I'm slightly more savvy than I was about smartphones, I realize that it's probably not the best idea to download a new OS onto a two-year-old device.)

Having tried WP and Android, I'm now excited to be returning to Apple. I liked WP, and found the graphics and style strongly appealing. My problem was the apps. I never used a ton of apps, so although I knew going in that there wouldn't be the same app availability as Apple's or Android's, I didn't think I'd have a problem. What I didn't realize was that you don't have to be a heavy app user in order to have an app problem on WP. If one new service/app comes out that you really want to use, and you can't because your smartphone platform doesn't have that app, then your experience of the phone is significantly impacted, and now you have an app problem.

In my case, the last straw was Uber. I grew up in NYC and never learned to drive, and my current job involves going to different locations in my metropolitan area every day, so I rely a lot on public transportation. Uber would be very useful for me, since sometimes I need to get to locations that aren't served by public transit. But Uber only has an Apple and an Android app. They did have a WP app for a short while, but it was only a web wrapper and received such wretched reviews on the Microsoft app store that Uber pulled it. I realize I could use the Uber's mobile site, but it surely wouldn't be as easy and pleasant to use as an actual app.

Now that I'm waiting for my iPhone to arrive on Friday, I've been researching what apps I'll want. I knew Apple's selection would be better than Microsoft's, but I'm shocked by the vastly greater quality and quantity of apps. It seems like developers are simply not going to devote the same resources to developing for WP as they do for Apple and Android, if they even bother developing for it at all.

I also grew frustrated with Microsoft's seemingly glacial pace in terms of updating their phone OS. It seemed like they were only ever going to allot a certain amount of resources to WP, and no more, and all of those resources were spent in improving the software to handle new hardware, with very little being spent on actually improving the user experience. It's nice that Microsoft just invested $7 billion in mobile hardware, but it would have been nicer if they would have spent even a fraction of that over the past two years on improving the OS in ways that users would notice. WP8.1 will be out next year, so there will be some improvements there, but Microsoft has a lot of catching up to do and they don't seem in very much of a hurry.

I'm still enamored of the WP interface, though, and I do think a Windows Phone would work well for a lot of people who really don't need to use apps at all, just the main smartphone functions. I wish Microsoft well, and I hope those users who are patient and loyal enough to stick with it get some good improvements and app progress, which they certainly deserve. I'm very much looking forward to using iOS 7 for many of the same reasons that I like WP -- I love the whole flat-bright-color thing, and the thin, sans-serif typography.
Hello there again Claude. I just greeted you in the Introduction forum with several others and again thank you for jumping right in.

What you just posted is just about what anyone trying to explain themselves and their feelings for their history with Smartphone can explain. We truly appreciate you jumping right in and participating and I am sure since you indicated your Pre- Ordered a 5C you have read all about it and can give us a hand in the 5C forum. We are overwhelmed in all the new forums and Would like to have someone us lend a hand and start some conversation so go on over and kick back and jump right in. Again thank you Claude and stay in touch with the blog as well we have.

claudeburdel

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
We are overwhelmed in all the new forums and Would like to have someone us lend a hand and start some conversation so go on over and kick back and jump right in.
Absolutely! I'm obviously no expert, but when I receive mine I'll definitely post and offer to answer any questions I can.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely! I'm obviously no expert, but when I receive mine I'll definitely post and offer to answer any questions I can.
Good for you and those are the kind of members we are looking for and all we can ask of anyone Claude. Thank you for offering to help once you get your phone because many of the Mods and Ambassadors already have IP 5s and I have a 4S which I will upgrading to to a 5S so we can use all the help we can get. :)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Good for you and those are the kind of members we are looking for and all we can ask of anyone Claude. Thank you for offering to help once you get your phone because many of the Mods and Ambassadors already have IP 5s and I have a 4S which I will upgrading to to a 5S so we can use all the help we can get. :)

Oh good a volunteer!! With all the work my raven was going to do all you guys wouldn't be getting my insightful comments since he would be dead! LOL.

Redneck Trash

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Form factor. I'm currently on a Nexus 4. And I like it. But the 4.8 inch screen is pushing one handedness. I can use it one handed but it requires shifting it in my hand to use it with one hand. The next Nexus is all but confirmed at 5 inches and that's not going to work for me. The iPhone form factor is something I can use one handed without having to shift the phone around in my hand. I'm not saying that I'm committed to purchasing an iPhone 5S but for the first time I'm looking at the iPhone.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya. I'm still a big Android guy, but for me, the quality control of some of the manufacturer's Android phones is just horrible. I went though three HTC One GPe's before asking for a refund. All had dead pixels. Now, this could just be an HTC thing, because my old One X had it too. But I've also heard similar stories from Samsung owners on various phones. You can't deny the build quality and quality control of Apple products. Never had an issue on my iPhone 4. About time I have a phone that just works with no flaws, and does a good job at it. And, if there's an issue? Boom, take it in to the local Apple store instead of waiting a week to get it back and dealing with authorization charges on my credit card.

I went through 3 HTC One's on T-Mobile until getting a refund also. there's definitely something wrong with HTC's quality control these days. But I'm in the same boat about just wanting something that works. If one more person tells me "Oh, just root and put on a custom to fix those issues", I'm gonna scream. Having a good phone should never be that involved of a process. I had to for my Note 2, but so far, I've been on the same ROM (jelly'beans') for the last 6 months with reduced issues besides the GPD and force closing, but I'm so ready to have a polished phone that just runs straight out of the box.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711