How does the 5s make you feel towards apple/android/windows?

maryjane2300

May 12, 2013
Visit site
After seeing the 5s announcement today it made me feel kinda let down. It seems apple keeps falling behind In the innovation department more and more every year. How'd it make some of you feel? You gonna get the 5s? Switch to an s4, htc one, moto x? Or maybe the new lumia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jridgers

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Every device line has it's unique way of interpreting the way people will use their phone. I, personally, like the smaller screen sizes as they feel better in my hand and I don't use my device for much more than texting and actual phone calls. If you need a bigger screen or a physical keyboard there are other options available to you. Apple cannot put everything everyone wants into one device.

I've never cared for Android devices. They seem like they are aimed at more tech savvy folks that like to tweak every setting. Plus with all the disjointed OS versions out there makes it seem so fragmented. Not to mention the different skins that carriers / makers put on top of Android. Comparing an HTC device with a Motorola device, both with Android, may still look different depending on the UI implemented. There lacks a consistency.

I'm not a corporate user so I never even considered Blackberry.

I tried the Nokia Lumia 822 and 928 on Verizon and I really wanted to like these devices; however, each time I was disappointed and went running back to my old iPhone 4. I think WP8 needs a little more polish to be able to compete with Apple's iOS 6 or 7. I will be interested to see what comes out of Redmond with Microsoft purchasing Nokia's device and services unit.

I was excited about Firefox OS but it looks like that won't be happening now.

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I actually just sold my iPhone 5 and picked up a Motorola Moto X, but I'm now debating if I'll pick up the 5s. I like some of the things that Android can do but for my needs, iOS has pretty much caught up with Android in my use case. I don't use widgets, I don't flash ROMs, and once I get my phone set up the way I like it, I pretty much just leave it alone. I may end up buying a 5s off contract and seeing what's available when my upgrade date in February arrives. I just think that Android has lost its allure for me.

As for Windows Phone 8, I REALLY like the concept of the OS. If they could flesh it out a bit more, I could definitely see myself going back to it. Nagging details like only 1 volume setting for ringtones, media, etc and a lack of a notification center really bug me. The other thing is that Nokia is the only OEM that really seems to take WP8 seriously and release updates in a timely fashion. However, the 928 is just an absolute brick of a phone. Too thick and too heavy. Give me a 4.7" screen in a device the size of my Moto X and I'd be in heaven. I'll definitely be checking out the updates provided in the Windows Phone Blue upgrade.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
After seeing the 5s announcement today it made me feel kinda let down. It seems apple keeps falling behind In the innovation department more and more every year. How'd it make some of you feel? You gonna get the 5s? Switch to an s4, htc one, moto x? Or maybe the new lumia?

How does the new iPhone make me feel about android and windows phone? Extremely ambivalent. I was "meh" about android/windows/blackberry on Monday evening... and I feel just as "meh" about them on Tuesday afternoon. Apples and oranges, no pun intended.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
How does the new iPhone make me feel about android and windows phone? Extremely ambivalent. I was "meh" about android/windows/blackberry on Monday evening... and I feel just as "meh" about them on Tuesday afternoon. Apples and oranges, no pun intended.
I'll see your ambivalence and raise you an 'overwrought with indifference'. :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After seeing the 5s announcement today it made me feel kinda let down.
I'm sure others felt a little letdown as well.
It seems apple keeps falling behind In the innovation department more and more every year.
I disagree. Name a smartphone company who is "innovating" year after year. Besides, loading a device with bait/novelties is not innovating. It's marketing.
How'd it make some of you feel?
I didn't feel anything, but I'm not in the market for a new iPhone. I simply wanted iOS 7 and I've got it.
You gonna get the 5s?
No, but if I was in the market for a new smartphone, I would not hesitate to get the iPhone 5S. That device is a beast.
Switch to an s4, htc one, moto x? Or maybe the new lumia?

No, no way. I'm not leaving the iPhone any time soon.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

To start, look up the definition of "innovate", please.

How does the 5S make me feel towards Apple? Good, it's the next smart phone I'll be purchasing.

How does the 5S make me feel towards Android? I'm not really one to compare a specific smart phone to an operating system, but if one must, I think the recent 5S announcement makes me feel less attracted to the Android OS, but more appropriately, the top end smart phones that carry said OS. I actually really started to like the GS4 in some ways, and saw some juicy features that made me really sit down and look at the phone, even went as far as to play with it for a few hours on a recent trip (my sis has it)...but the 5S has brought me back in focus on the iPhone.

How does the 5S make me feel towards Windows? This one is even more generalized, but assuming you mean towards the newer model Windows PHONES, it's about the same as the Android device opinion, maybe a tad more appealing because of the camera tech in the Lumia models (which is REALLY appealing to me).

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Probably getting the 5s. If I were to switch, it'd probably have been to the S4 Active. But the 5s has all those LTE bands for world travel, and it's nice to be in the Apple ecosystem -- iMessage, photostream, apps, etc. Easier/better to stay within it. Love the build quality.

Android is what it is -- the Windows of the mobile world. (I know, Windows Phone 8 is the Windows...) It's out on a huge array of devices, and it takes work to make it work right. Windows Phone 8 and BB10 don't have the apps -- they eventually get stuff but it's a struggle.

So, iPhone it is, and iPhone 5s if I want to stay current.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Probably getting the 5s. If I were to switch, it'd probably have been to the S4 Active. But the 5s has all those LTE bands for world travel, and it's nice to be in the Apple ecosystem -- iMessage, photostream, apps, etc. Easier/better to stay within it. Love the build quality.

Android is what it is -- the Windows of the mobile world. (I know, Windows Phone 8 is the Windows...) It's out on a huge array of devices, and it takes work to make it work right. Windows Phone 8 and BB10 don't have the apps -- they eventually get stuff but it's a struggle.

So, iPhone it is, and iPhone 5s if I want to stay current.

It would be interesting to see how this whole thing would shake out if WP was able to go app for app with iOS instead of playing catch up. Especially with Nokia's budget range of devices selling so well outside of the US.

If there was a 64gb Lumia 1020 running iOS, with that camera and screen size, whoa mama, zillions of phones sold. The instagram crowd would go nuts. Even a 925 with iOS would be awesome.

Like Apple, Nokia makes a great device. its WP that keeps it from really catching on.

I would've liked to see an I boxing video of the Lumia being tested running Android. I bet that phone would've sold well.

Apples strength is great hardware with great software and the same experience across devices. Pretty tough to knock that big dog off the porch.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I like what I saw. apple made a 64-bit chip before anybody else, made serious improvements to the camera, brought a workable fingerprint scanner, and then did really cool stuff with iOS7. I'd say they're innovating just fine. I think windows is gaudy. ugh. I hate the tiles interface. Blackberry is dying and has no apps, and android is clunky and full of malware, bloatware, and doesn't get regular updates.

I'm very happy with apple, I was the other day and I still am. and I'm getting the 5S for sure. the only thing I really wanted that apple didn't do was more memory and a bigger screen but that ain't enough to get me to go to anybody else, and it doesn't mean apple isn't innovating. I wish people would stop saying that.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting to see how this whole thing would shake out if WP was able to go app for app with iOS instead of playing catch up. Especially with Nokia's budget range of devices selling so well outside of the US.

If there was a 64gb Lumia 1020 running iOS, with that camera and screen size, whoa mama, zillions of phones sold. The instagram crowd would go nuts. Even a 925 with iOS would be awesome.

Like Apple, Nokia makes a great device. its WP that keeps it from really catching on.

I would've liked to see an I boxing video of the Lumia being tested running Android. I bet that phone would've sold well.

Apples strength is great hardware with great software and the same experience across devices. Pretty tough to knock that big dog off the porch.

As an Ontarian, I should like to point out that Stephen "Trojan Horse" Elop is from Ontario as well.

So between his call to ride the Windows Phone horse and the antics of the duopoly at RIM, Canadian CEOs collectively took hardware manufacturers with 70% of the smartphone market in 2010 and drove them to single digits.

That's a record to be truly proud of! :p

A 64 GB Lumia 1020 with a non-buggy, non-orphaned o/s would fly off the shelves, yes. Even with Android, it would have sold hugely.

Pity.

Ah well, I'll continue to pay my premium for a premium device/OS combo.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have used all of the other major competitors phones in the past, and I keep coming back to Apple. The phone is smooth, it is extremely user friendly, and the app store is amazing. I have had AT&T for years, and I have NEVER had an issue with dropped calls or anything. It all depends on you and your preferences as to how this announcement made you feel. Some people are always looking for something wrong to kind of push them to try something new, and this announcement may have done that for a few. The way I look at it is that Apple continues to build upon an already established, sound foundation that is the iPhone and ios.

I actually really enjoyed my time with a Windows 7 (at the time) phone, but it wasn't enough to keep me. I do feel that WP8 is the closest to ios as far as smoothness and user-friendliness. I always found Android to be laggy and buggy, and I feel that os is geared to more techy people who love to get to the bottom of the software and enhance it from the inside out. That is not me; I am not that smart! Haha.

At the end of the day, I always miss my iPhone and ALWAYS go back to it. Since the last time I have tried something out, I have realized (finally!) that for me there is no reason to venture outside of the iPhone and Apple for the time being.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have used all of the other major competitors phones in the past, and I keep coming back to Apple. The phone is smooth, it is extremely user friendly, and the app store is amazing. I have had AT&T for years, and I have NEVER had an issue with dropped calls or anything. It all depends on you and your preferences as to how this announcement made you feel. Some people are always looking for something wrong to kind of push them to try something new, and this announcement may have done that for a few. The way I look at it is that Apple continues to build upon an already established, sound foundation that is the iPhone and ios.

I actually really enjoyed my time with a Windows 7 (at the time) phone, but it wasn't enough to keep me. I do feel that WP8 is the closest to ios as far as smoothness and user-friendliness. I always found Android to be laggy and buggy, and I feel that os is geared to more techy people who love to get to the bottom of the software and enhance it from the inside out. That is not me; I am not that smart! Haha.

At the end of the day, I always miss my iPhone and ALWAYS go back to it. Since the last time I have tried something out, I have realized (finally!) that for me there is no reason to venture outside of the iPhone and Apple for the time being.

Android doesn't have to be laggy, but you have to care for and tend to it.

Which is darned annoying, and why I don't like it.

I want apps, so BB and Windows Phone are out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234