I was going to come back to iPhone, but after today I'm re- thinking that !!!

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I just have to say one thing (it may have been said but I just skimmed thru) at least when apple releases a new device it's running the newest software and not software that's 2 or in some cases 3 years old and we don't have to wait a year to get an upgrade to a newer version that's still not the newest.

Wow,, did I just really read that !!!

With every Android phone and every Apple phone I have ever purchased there has always been software upgrades on both,,,,,, iOS7 is the first and only "major" upgrade since the first iPhone in 2007,,,, even Apple admits their own iOS has been pretty much the same until iOS 7.

Yes,,,, there are some cheapie Andriod phones at the cheapie providers that sell for dirt cheap phones that still run older versions of Android,,,, is that what your are trying to use an an example for your statement ???

Cheers
Davyo

tater0388

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow,, did I just really read that !!!

With every Android phone and every Apple phone I have ever purchased there has always been software upgrades on both,,,,,, iOS7 is the first and only "major" upgrade since the first iPhone in 2007,,,, even Apple admits their own iOS has been pretty much the same until iOS 7.

Yes,,,, there are some cheapie Andriod phones at the cheapie providers that sell for dirt cheap phones that still run older versions of Android,,,, is that what your are trying to use an an example for your statement ???

Cheers
Davyo

No I'm saying when I bought my GS3 the day it was released it was running a older version of android and it took 6 months to get an update. Every year when I get my iPhone it's running the latest version of iOS. Simple fact.

mikeydooodie

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
going into the 5s launch i had an upgrade since june. reading about it and what was going to come out about 3 weeks before official announcement my 5 starting acting up, error messages about 'accessory not accepted' or something like that with NOTHING plugged in. i know i could have just went to apple and tried to get a new one but i didnt want to so i used my upgrade to get a GS4. 2 days later the camera wasnt working so i returned it for another one brand new from verizon. 3 weeks later the microphone stopped working so now im stuck past the 2 week verizon window to return it and as of now i dont want a gs4, so after some ******** to verizon i get them to send me an htc one. been using this for a week or 2 and i miss my iphone dearly. i have one for work purposes and i find myself using my work phone 90% of the time and not my personal. android is cool i guess but sometimes i feel i have to go through too many steps to get something done. i feel apps look 100 times better on ios if that makes sense and i miss emoji. so that being said im using my wifes upgrade to get a 5s now i should have just waited but i couldn't and now im paying for it. iOS may not be up to par with some of these features android brings but you know what. it just works. simple, clean and to the point

mikeydooodie

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's my list of phones owned recently:

IPhone 3GS, Blackberry Bold 9900, Samsung S3, iPhone 5, HTC One, iPhone 5S

My point? Every time I switched to another type of phone, yes their were features which I adored on them. For example, Blackberry had a great keyboard, Samsung has a great size screen and the HTC had great sound. But they all lacked the refining that the iPhone has. That's why there's a 'S' version. So maybe there's not as many new features in the new iPhones. But all the new features are relevant and offer benefits direct to the consumer. Half the features on the other phones I found either not required or just don't work properly.

went from galaxy to htc one to 5s. well i guess im not the only one i used the gs4 and htc one for a total of a month and i hate it lol

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried phones like the Note 2 and S4. I gave them a fair a chance. At the end of the day I had a plethora of reasons why for me, I found them inferior to the iPhone 5....let alone the new 5S. Yet, despite this, I never felt compelled to hop on an S4 or Note 2 forum and tell their loyalists why.

Guess that's just me....

mikeydooodie

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried phones like the Note 2 and S4. I gave them a fair a chance. At the end of the day I had a plethora of reasons why for me, I found them inferior to the iPhone 5....let alone the new 5S. Yet, despite this, I never felt compelled to hop on an S4 or Note 2 forum and tell their loyalists why.

Guess that's just me....

i feel samsung's skinned android os is very child like and doesnt look polished at all. htc on the other hand is very polished but nothing can compare to iOS

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't help but "LOL" at the slandering of the processor or saying that it's not a big deal. But, of course, now Samsung wants to get in the 64-bit game.. And.. Have you seen the bench mark results? Pretty hard to talk trash when iPhone 5s trumps all other phones on the market when it comes to processing by at least a third ha.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I can't help but "LOL" at the slandering of the processor or saying that it's not a big deal. But, of course, now Samsung wants to get in the 64-bit game.. And.. Have you seen the bench mark results? Pretty hard to talk trash when iPhone 5s trumps all other phones on the market when it comes to processing by at least a third ha.
LOL I totally agree. Samsung is now scrambling to put out an equivalent processor. In the end, Apple may not cram as many "features" in the iPhone as Samsung does in their GS series, but the ones that Apple does...actually WORK (ok, we won't mention SIRI....).

The other problem is that the market has advanced so much now that it's getting harder to innovate. Companies are being forced to use gimmick features to sell phones, because most of the impressive advancements have already been done.

If they had introduced the fingerprint scanner back on the 3Gs (for example), people would have had their minds blown. It comes out now, and people are like "meh". The technology is just as impressive now as it would have been then, but NOW people have much higher expectations due to what has already come. Too bad most of it has already come, and it's getting harder to find something new and cool to add.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
i feel samsung's skinned android os is very child like and doesnt look polished at all. htc on the other hand is very polished but nothing can compare to iOS

I agree, the HTC One was the closest an android phone has come to pull me away from the Apple ecosystem, but it's just not quite their. However, hats off to HTC because the One is a great phone.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Let's try and not confuse bugs of a newly released and revamped operating system with gimmicks peddled as innovation shall we??

So you.... finn5975 get to decide what innovation is a gimmick and what is not? You can choose to use or not use a Samsung, HTC, Moto feature if you want... you can make it disappear. You can turn it back on. You have a choice.

Thats something you dont get with iOS...

But hey... lets not take my word for it OK?

Apple's Board Of Directors 'Deeply Concerned' Tim Cook Isn't Innovating Fast Enough [Report] | Cult of Mac

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So you.... finn5975 get to decide what innovation is a gimmick and what is not? You can choose to use or not use a Samsung, HTC, Moto feature if you want... you can make it disappear. You can turn it back on. You have a choice.

Thats something you dont get with iOS...

But hey... lets not take my word for it OK?

Apple's Board Of Directors 'Deeply Concerned' Tim Cook Isn't Innovating Fast Enough [Report] | Cult of Mac

You are, for maybe the first time, 100% correct. I DO get to decide what is a gimmick or not...for me. And I DO get a choice, whether to bump phones with another Samsung, or hover my greasy fingers over a screen with Samsung, or you use a much faster device in an iPhone 5S with a better camera and experience....wait for it......for "me".

I could wield an S4, Note 2 and 5S at the same time if I wanted to. He'll I've had all 3, but I have all the choice I need in the 5S.

I didn't, however have the choice you mentioned on the S4 or Note 2. You see, if I wanted solid battery life or a lag free device, I had to change launchers, disable all sensors and reduce animations to 0x. How's that for choice ??

But hey....don't take my word for it. Just visit the endless pages of androidcentral and the never ending complaints OK?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Funny.... you didnt come off that way in your prior post.... maybe I misunderstood. eh?

Oh no, you got it the first time. But I decided to go all PC so as to maybe get you to go away. See, I do find majority of the new 'features' in android to be gimmicks. And if I wasn't making dinner I'd go all link-happy on you with articles that back my point too. But it doesn't matter. I'm happy with my device. That's what matters.

You and I are similar in that we each are passionate about our device. We love it and have our own reasons for using it and in a sense defending.

Where we differ is that I don't spend time in an android forum ready to pounce any time someone misspeaks or is condescending towards the other platform. Not my style. But, you'll always have those lurkers in the forums ;/

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh no, you got it the first time. But I decided to go all PC so as to maybe get you to go away. See, I do find majority of the new 'features' in android to be gimmicks. And if I wasn't making dinner I'd go all link-happy on you with articles that back my point too. But it doesn't matter. I'm happy with my device. That's what matters.

You and I are similar in that we each are passionate about our device. We love it and have our own reasons for using it and in a sense defending.

Where we differ is that I don't spend time in an android forum ready to pounce any time someone misspeaks or is condescending towards the other platform. Not my style. But, you'll always have those lurkers in the forums ;/

I would not call myself passionate about my device.... I am passionate about technology. I have had iPhones, BB and Android. What the issue is, many many people make sweeping generalizations based on their personal experience. I take no umbrage with the account of the experience, but rather declaring or infereing thats "the way it is" for everyone.

Bon Appetit

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 4s on day one, had it for 2 years and was happy (especially with the logevity of the battery). I bought my 5s on day one, will keep it for at least two years and will be happy. Reason: It does I want or need it to do and it does it well. Are there Android products that would do the same? Maybe, but not likely. There's a new phone to get excited over about every two to three months with Android. Not for me. I've had Android before and between the glitches and crappy batteries, it didn't deliver. To me, Android is more about flash, bells and whistles and Apple is more about performance and reliability... and like I said that's what it is for me. I used to get a kick out of people who seemed more concerned about what their home screen looked like and what it did than what the device itself could do.

The bottom line is get what works for you and does what you want it to do. No one phone will be able to deliver for everybody. The day that happens, the concept of capitalistic competition will become obsolete. QUALITY is defined as meeting or exceeding customer's requirements and expectations. For me my 5s is a true quality product.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!! And, BTW, the person who started this thread just might (just maybe) be a troll by his own calling....

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Isn't android that OS that formats memory cards at random? Lags from screen to screen? Has UI force closings? Even stock app force closings? 3rd party apps that users can download which may contain malicious content? Overloaded Google bloat-ware? Consistent running useless background apps?

But hey I will give android some credit. They've come a long way way since vanilla. Although I've only used an Android OS device personally for like a week, I've been in the wireless field for years. These problems listed above are just a few incidents I've had to call in a manufacturers warranty claim about.. Meaning they happened in under a year.

I mean android is definitely cool.. To the average user who sees one commercial with neat features that are used as often as Palm Trios in 2013. Or to the "techy" who sees 1.5ghz quad core on a sales floor price tag with 3 other features and assume that means it's "real real fast." But let's be honest here, the OS is a decent experiment by someone who shouldn't have been in this particular lab in the first place.

To be honest I never understood why these arguments still exist... You don't see millions lining up to get the new Galaxy S device... You know, the one made with cheaper plastic than the "5cheap" that everyone made fun of... Then it turned out to be more solid than the GS3/4/Note that's frowning at you as the 5c commercial is shown on TV.

Sorry if that was a bit harsh, maybe call it unclassy. But the opposing side's arguments are becoming more and more clich? and it's quite annoying. Especially when I come to my beloved iMore community to engage in fantastic conversation about the product I love, and then I see the negative Nancy who took a wrong turn somewhere in Mobile Nations and decided to use the restroom at iMore. We should all stick to our area. Like kindergarten. Cause that's how it is in the tech world.

Anyways.

/endthread

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I spend my money on what I like. You spend yours on what you like. What's the point of us going back and forth about it?

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that so many people love to say "what I have is better than yours!"

I love my 5S, that I paid for, because it's what works for me! I don't care about the phone you carry in your pocket...if it fits! LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice