It's exactly what I would expect. I put up pictures from the Apple event of the 5s and 5c on my Facebook. I immediately got comments from one of my friend saying that they are junk and there's no innovation. I asked what he was expecting since he called them junk. His answer, wait for it, ..... a bigger screen. I was like a bigger screen really, that is the reason you think there is no innovation and it's junk. I really think he is not alone people just know the phrase "Apple is not innovating" but they really don't know what innovation they really want. A bigger screen is certainly not an innovation as well as all the other things like NFC, Wireless charging. At least those are innovating to me, something I would consider innovation is solar charging that enables you to never have to plug your phone into the wall again. Something that no one has done yet, that once done everyone else will do and something that will change things in a major way. It's not like I didn't expect the argument to happen sooner or later but I was surprised at how fast it happened.
    09-10-2013 03:43 PM
    Tell the friend to get back to you about innovation when there are devices with 64bit processors...
    Alik Malix likes this.
    09-10-2013 03:46 PM
    when I saw the title of this thread I was thinking the same thing. I want a bigger screen too, and for the life of me can't understand why apple hasn't done it yet. I don't buy the arguments that it can't because it already has with the ipad and ipad mini.

but apple not innovating? please! everything about the phone save its screen size has improved. the CPU blew me away. I wasn't expecting that one. and what they're doing with the camera? wow! I can't wait to get the 5S in my hands. I'll have to just hope the 6 has a bigger screen. LOL
    09-10-2013 04:01 PM
    Don't argue with your friend about phone innovation. Love your friend!
    09-10-2013 04:19 PM
    Hasn't Tim Cook said that Apple won't increase the screen size until they figure out how to do it without compromises? That would suggest that a larger screen IS innovative.
    09-10-2013 05:32 PM
    I think it's insanely missguided of people to say the iphone 5S isn't an upgrade, and its just plain idiotic to claim just the same thing and we're all iSheep who would buy a turd with an apple logo as I've read some people say. the 5S has some serious upgrades and innovations going on. twice as fast CPU, DSLR level camera, and fingerprint technology. its amazing! but lets get real. screen compromises? then why isn't the ipad mini comprised? the only compromise is one handed use, but frankly i'd trade that for not having to squint to read on the screen. There's no reason apple couldn't make two sizes, one for people who want one handed and some with two. I think people thinking that lack of a big screen means apple sucks are wrong but its not wrong to wish apple would make a bigger phone.

but I bet apple makes a bigger screen next year, and the dynamic print thing in iOS 7 will hopefully help me with reading the screen until then.
    09-10-2013 05:41 PM
    I was laughing at all the classic comments from Android trolls. People praise and laud Samsung for their crappy products but when Apple does something like the fingerprint scanner, A7 64 bit chip and better camera they pass it off as lame, not innovative and oh you're going to upgrade to that?!

I don't get people.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    09-10-2013 05:47 PM
    I was laughing at all the classic comments from Android trolls. People praise and laud Samsung for their crappy products but when Apple does something like the fingerprint scanner, A7 64 bit chip and better camera they pass it off as lame, not innovative and oh you're going to upgrade to that?!

I don't get people.

Sure you do. Everyone thinks their choice in anything is superior to anything on the market. And human nature forces them to try to trash anything that challenges their choice... except in the case of trolls. They’re just impossible to deal with. (Same goes for many android users)...
    09-10-2013 06:11 PM
    Sure you do. Everyone thinks their choice in anything is superior to anything on the market. And human nature forces them to try to trash anything that challenges their choice... except in the case of trolls. Theyre just impossible to deal with. (Same goes for many android users)...
    Haha true dat. Ok I do get people Fausty but you know I meant 😝

09-10-2013 06:12 PM
    Haha true dat. Ok I do get people Fausty but you know I meant 
    I do,
    09-10-2013 06:13 PM
    It's all relative. To someone with an iPhone 4, it's a big upgrade and innovative.
    09-10-2013 06:21 PM
    I might have been underwhelmed today, but lack of innovation is hardly what we saw today...I mean the damn finger print sensor alone is incredible tech, and then we get into the guts of the phone and the revamped camera...and all of this combined with a smart phone that is already incredible...this thing is chalk full of innovation.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    09-10-2013 06:28 PM
    i've been away from iOS since 2009 (last device was a 3GS), and this phone won't cause me to switch back. nonetheless, while nvidia intro'd a 64-bit mobile processor months ago [iirc], and while hp intro'd a fingerprint scanner on a mobile device in around 2002 [again iirc] and motorola re-intro'd the same on the atrix a couple years back, apple perfects things.

so, while neither the processor nor the fingerprint scanner are in and of themselves "innovative", the integration of the same into a single mobile device, and the perfection of the scanner [i'm assuming as much], are "innovative".

apple's hardware is always a great piece of tech (imo).

question: does anyone know how much RAM will be available for the A7 in the 5S?

EDIT: i'm switching back. not because of the hardware. because of iOS.
    Last edited by Brady KEITH; 10-01-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    09-10-2013 07:12 PM
    I honestly think people have a poor understanding of what the word "innovate" actually means.
    09-10-2013 07:38 PM
    Tell the friend to get back to you about innovation when there are devices with 64bit processors...
    So tell me, what will the 64bit processor be an advantage for?
    09-10-2013 07:52 PM
    I might have been underwhelmed today, but lack of innovation is hardly what we saw today...I mean the damn finger print sensor alone is incredible tech, and then we get into the guts of the phone and the revamped camera...and all of this combined with a smart phone that is already incredible...this thing is chalk full of innovation.
    I agree with you that the 5s, and the 5, and the 4s, all iPhones actually are full of innovation for their era. The fingerprint sensor is certainly innovative, but is it really useful in a phone? I guess we'll find out! I had a PDA running WM many years ago that had one. I used it some, as a novelty, but I wouldn't really say it added to the experience. As I recall its function was similar to the 5s', and it actually worked quite well. It seems to me that wireless charging and/or NFC would be more useful.

I was thinking that Apple could do something like add NFC as well, and integrate its function with the fingerprint sensor for security. It could be designed so that NFC does nothing unless an approved finger is on the sensor. That way, there's virtually no chance of accidental transmission with NFC.
    09-10-2013 07:53 PM
    So tell me, what will the 64bit processor be an advantage for?
    Apple required the 64-bit for the fingerprint authentication feature and for the new camera features. The new 64-bit processor is an enabler to other features on the iPhone 5s.
    09-10-2013 08:00 PM
    Apple required the 64-bit for the fingerprint authentication feature and for the new camera features. The new 64-bit processor is an enabler to other features on the iPhone 5s.
    Ah, thank you for that. And also, will this affect the development for regular apps?
    09-10-2013 08:02 PM
    Ah, thank you for that. And also, will this affect the development for regular apps?
    According to the article in this link "Apple has updated all of the iOS libraries/kernel/etc. to 64-bit, and developers can create 64-bit apps using Xcode. Just as when PCs moved to x86-64 with CPUs that can function in both 32- and 64-bit modes". Apple iPhone 5s: The first 64-bit smartphone, Touch ID fingerprint scanner | ExtremeTech
    09-10-2013 08:18 PM
    It's all relative. To someone with an iPhone 4, it's a big upgrade and innovative.
    That's me! And I was pretty set on sticking with it for one more year, but then I watched the Keynote last night. Silliness aside (dancing to the new ringtones), it's the first new iPhone that made me want to upgrade from the 4. The camera is a big deal to me, since I use it a lot. The 64-bit processor was a shock. How much that matters to me since I don't game on the phone? I don't know, but it's nice to see Apple cram that into such a small space! Toss in Siri (for me for the first time on the phone), the fingerprint scanner, AirDrop, etc and this is a big jump for me that's well worth the upgrade.

Also, I feel like too many people get caught up on the screen size / look. Under the hood, this is the most innovative iPhone in a long time.
    09-11-2013 02:18 PM
    That's me! And I was pretty set on sticking with it for one more year, but then I watched the Keynote last night. Silliness aside (dancing to the new ringtones), it's the first new iPhone that made me want to upgrade from the 4. The camera is a big deal to me, since I use it a lot. The 64-bit processor was a shock. How much that matters to me since I don't game on the phone? I don't know, but it's nice to see Apple cram that into such a small space! Toss in Siri (for me for the first time on the phone), the fingerprint scanner, AirDrop, etc and this is a big jump for me that's well worth the upgrade.

Also, I feel like too many people get caught up on the screen size / look. Under the hood, this is the most innovative iPhone in a long time.
    Same here. But one thing is bothering me - battery life. They blew past it in the keynote. We will have to see real world reviews to know for sure. I had the iPhone 5 for a weekend - terrible battery life for me. I was probably on a fringe 3G/4G area, but still, if this one drains like the 5 did, then I simply can't use it.

The features are awesome IMO.
    09-12-2013 01:39 PM
    you do realize this "great" 64bit processor is useless with 1GB of RAM right?
    09-12-2013 03:16 PM
    you do realize this "great" 64bit processor is useless with 1GB of RAM right?
    64-bit is useful for other things than addressing more than 4GB of RAM.
    09-12-2013 04:07 PM