Has there ever been less of a reason to upgrade?

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I can honestly say, this is the weakest upgrade in the Iphones lifetime.

I guess if you felt that a finger print scanner was something you were really hoping for.

Man was I hoping to be surprised at today's announcement.

by the way, Apple stock is down 10 bucks and dropping since the announcement.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I guess if you felt that a finger print scanner was something you were really hoping for.

Happens every year.

It seems clear that the "S" series phones are the feature upgrade variants and the new #'ed iPhone's are the design change versions.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I kind of agree but being an S upgrade this was to be expected. Plus with all of the leaks anymore it leaves very little to wonder about with tech devices. I think this is the reason they got rid of the iphone 5 though because otherwise I could see lots of people choosing that over the newer more expensive iphone 5s.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
If I recall correctly Apple stock usually drops after announcements.

Definitely no reason for me to upgrade. The fingerprint sensor is mildly interesting but I'd want to give it some time to see how well it works for people. 128GB alone would have given some people a reason to upgrade.

I do think the 5C will sell like hotcakes. I'm thinking of all the moms and grandmas I know who have been snatching up 4S's over the last year. I think I read 1/2 of iPhones sold in the last year were NOT the iPhone 5. That market will LOVE the plastic colored cases and with iPhone 5 internals it's not half bad.

I'm not due for an upgrade until the 6 anyway so today's announcement saved me some money. Now to start speculation about the iPhone 6!

the1onlyjosh

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I plan on waiting for the 6 and skipping the 5s. I'm due for an upgrade now I just don't want to waste it on small a small upgrade. Now when the 6 comes out and if its only available In a bigger screen I will be going with the 5s. My 5 now is a perfect size for me.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The upgrade issue is dependent on what iphone you currently have. If you have a 4S or before, its a very nice upgrade. Bigger screen, faster, better camera, fingerprint scanner, etc. If you have the 5, its not a big deal but its definitely a better upgrade than say the 4 to the 4S.

Tre

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I would say the jump from 5 to 5S is greater than the jump from 4 to 4S. The S is essentially for the previous generation holdouts like me (still on the 4). I am on the every 3rd generation schedule:

iPhone 2G <----BUY!!
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 <------BUY!!
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5s <---- BUY!!

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I plan on waiting for the 6 and skipping the 5s. I'm due for an upgrade now I just don't want to waste it on small a small upgrade. Now when the 6 comes out and if its only available In a bigger screen I will be going with the 5s. My 5 now is a perfect size for me.
Except your 5S will be plastic next year.

the1onlyjosh

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Key word was 'next' year. If they follow this new pattern, the 5S will be next years plastic 5C version.

And next year the 5s will still be the 5s. Not a different phone just because its been a year. I doesn't matter if I takes the place of the 5c it will still be a 5s.

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Nope. The S series have minor upgrades. I'm waiting to see the iPhone 6 next year.

Exactly, people say the same thing every other year. They said it when the iPhone 3GS was released, they said it when the iPhone 4S was released, and I knew they would say it when the iPhone 5s was released.