Has there ever been less of a reason to upgrade?

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
"If your on a 2 year upgrade plan you have to remember the vast majority of people that are eligible for the 5s are still using a 4s. Think of the differences between those two rather than the five to the s..."

I am thinking of those people. If you are now eligible to go from a 4S to a 5S I think you should really take a second to evaluate. Apple will almost certainly make changes for the Iphone 6. If you upgrade now, from the 4S, you will have a year to wait until you can get the 6. If the 5 wasn't enough to get you to upgrade, the 5S surely isn't either. Not to mention, I honestly cant imagine it will take Apple another year to release the 6.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Im sorry but this new phone is totally consistent with the S versions.
The only feature that would make me upgrade is the fingerprint scanner, seems to work pretty good and fast on the videos I've seen.
The new camera and flash, cool but i dont really need it now, 99.9% of what I shoot has no flash.
Faster processor, dont need it, ios7 runs pretty smooth on my 5.
Gold iphone, thanks but no thanks.

The problem is, in years past, the S marked a serious bump in performance. I own the 5 and it is as fast as an Iphone is going to be. Just like on the Android side, dual core or quad core, we are the point of diminishing returns.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you looking for to be different? They upgraded literally every spec on the phone to be clearly and irrefutably superior to the 5 besides the size/shape of the phone itself, which are superficial. This is a beast of a phone and a clear upgrade spec/feature wise. People will only be satisfied with superficial changes like screen size and casing design I suppose.

Ill definitely be upgrading from my 4S to the 5S. Ill be getting the 64GB Space Grey version.

Honestly, I was hoping that Apple was able to fake everyone out and release an Iphone with a bigger screen and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better battery life. If nothing else, if they would have released the same phone with a finger print scanner and double the battery life I would have been pumped. But without increasing the size of the phone, battery life is going to be stuck where it is and on my 5, battery life is average at best.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I would say the jump from 5 to 5S is greater than the jump from 4 to 4S. The S is essentially for the previous generation holdouts like me (still on the 4). I am on the every 3rd generation schedule:

iPhone 2G <----BUY!!
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 <------BUY!!
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5s <---- BUY!!

yes i also believe that 5S is a better upgrade than 4S was. Siri is not used by many people outside US but fingerprint scanner will be used by people all over the world.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a 4S and my upgrade is available, so I'm going for it. It's either going to be a 5S or a 5C. I'd do the 5C based on cost and the 5S based on them having the color I want (Silver). Since the Apple store offers trade ins for the 4S and is paying more than Sprint will, I'll just trade it in and spend less on a new iPhone than I would on an Android. If Sprint had the Nokia Lumia 1020, I'd go for that, but they don't. So on to the new iPhone. Is it an amazing new iPhone? It's an S model or C model. No surprises.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
But what does that mean in real life? Instead of infinity blade loading up in 2 seconds it will now load in 1 second? Instead of Safari opening in .75 seconds it will now open up in .375 seconds? These "double bumps" in speed don't mean what they used to mean.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
But what does that mean in real life? Instead of infinity blade loading up in 2 seconds it will now load in 1 second? Instead of Safari opening in .75 seconds it will now open up in .375 seconds? These "double bumps" in speed don't mean what they used to mean.

Maybe not to you, however, I'm sure it matters to a lot of other iPhone users out there who are upgrading to the 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
If the finger print scanner can be used to sign into apps it will really be a great new feature. Imagine opening up your Bank of America app and get instant log in with the touch of the scanner! Right now though, its locked to Itunes purchases and unlocking the phone. Both of which are nice, but neither of which is a game changing feature. Not to mention we have to see just how easy to use it will be in real world use. The moto atrix fingerprint scanner was horrific.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Maybe not to you, however, I'm sure it matters to a lot of other iPhone users out there who are upgrading to the 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

Dont get me wrong, if you have been using the 4S for two years then yes, you will see a huge difference between the two. Then again, you would have seen a huge difference between the 4S and the 5.

But as I said before, I think the Iphone 6 will be out sooner rather than latter. So if you get the 5S, you will be locked away from what should be a really big upgrade in the 6. Hey, just one mans opinion.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Some people will seriously never be satisfied with anything Apple releases, and will always feel the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Apple releases tech, and it's not good enough, Apple makes the tech better and more polished and they're not "innovative", Apple innovates the iPhone year after year and "I want it to be more like "x"...".

I mean seriously people, some of you are impossible.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
The camera has many more improvements than the flash. The bigger sensor and therefore bigger pixels since the total megapixels stayed the same and the increased aperture should combine to create much better low light photography without needing to use the flash at all.

True, but I was pointing out what new features would be really important for me to make me upgrade and the camera isn't one of them ( again, for me ) .. I'm sure it's better but I could live one more year with the iphone 5 camera just fine...
The fingerprint scanner on the other hand...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If the finger print scanner can be used to sign into apps it will really be a great new feature. Imagine opening up your Bank of America app and get instant log in with the touch of the scanner! Right now though, its locked to Itunes purchases and unlocking the phone. Both of which are nice, but neither of which is a game changing feature. Not to mention we have to see just how easy to use it will be in real world use. The moto atrix fingerprint scanner was horrific.

At this time, the finger print scanner cannot be used to sign into apps. The API will not be open to developers at this point, per the comments in the keynote.

And re: the comment of the moto atrix scanner, this is Apple, NOT Motorola. I have full confidence that Apple would not have implemented it if it wasn’t "ready for prime time". "nuf said.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
At this time, the finger print scanner cannot be used to sign into apps. The API will not be open to developers at this point, per the comments in the keynote.

And re: the comment of the moto atrix scanner, this is Apple, NOT Motorola. I have full confidence that Apple would not have implemented it if it wasn’t "ready for prime time". "nuf said.

I would agree and I would also expect Apple to do a better job than Motorola did. On the other hand, if it doesn't recognize my finger print, immediately, the first time and every time it will be a fail.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Would you have been happier if Apple had pulled a Samsung, and thrown in a mega-ton of bloatware & worthless parlor tricks that nobody really uses in real life???

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can honestly say, this is the weakest upgrade in the Iphones lifetime.

I guess if you felt that a finger print scanner was something you were really hoping for.

Man was I hoping to be surprised at today's announcement.

by the way, Apple stock is down 10 bucks and dropping since the announcement.

​How would you classify the upgrade from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S?

ejb222

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

You mean like the Siri beta release? or the new Apple Maps? Both of which fell short upon release. When both of these released the competition already had better alternatives. Even WP voice integration had app launching before Siri did. Not everything that Apple releases is "ready for prime time" Hate to burst your bubble.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You mean like the Siri beta release? or the new Apple Maps? Both of which fell short upon release. When both of these released the competition already had better alternatives. Even WP voice integration had app launching before Siri did. Not everything that Apple releases is "ready for prime time" Hate to burst your bubble.

Apple Maps was a mess when it launched... but Siri was not a problem... and both have evolved since their release. But that does not negate my point that this is Apple and not moto in their previous or current iteration. If you aren’t interested in what Apple is selling, shop elsewhere. I firmly believe that Apple's fingerprint reader/scanner will be a hit. From day one.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

There was NOTHING worth comparing to Siri upon release...nothing.

Maps on the other hand had Google Maps to compete with, so the aim might have been a bit high (but has worked great for me personally).

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
​How would you classify the upgrade from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S?

Obviously, the introduction of Siri was the big deal with 4S. And the fact that you couldnt run Siri on the 4 made the upgrade even more pronounced. Yes, you cant run a fingerprint scanner on the 5 I view that differently. The 4S had the computing power to run Siri, the 4 did not. That tells you something about the perceived bump in processing power. Also, the market was very different then. Apple was still way out in front of everyone else. The 4S was acceptable when you are a mile in front of your competition. The 5S is much less acceptable now that Android has passed, or at least equaled, the Iphone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR