Has there ever been less of a reason to upgrade?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
And next year the 5s will still be the 5s. Not a different phone just because its been a year. I doesn't matter if I takes the place of the 5c it will still be a 5s.

I took it you meant the next phone released next to the 6, which would mean a plastic backed 5S. Not the actual 5S releasing next week. Got ya.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
This isn't new. No matter what apple would have released peopled still would have b1tched because let's face it this world is full of b1tchers.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
As someone coming from a clapped out blackberry I'd say its a cracking reason to upgrade.

With all the leaks I don't really know what people were expecting... If they upped it to a 5" screen people would be moaning that its too big or its copying Samsung. No real way to win on that one. Upgrading the processor / camera etc though I'd say is pretty innovative. I'm waiting to see some real world demos before I stick the fingerprint sensor in the "upgrade" category, needs to be functional but assuming the pass code lock is still there it won't be a deal breaker for me

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a solid phone.

Lots more LTE bands, so it's a better world traveller. Better camera, better processor, new features (fingerprint sensor, etc.).

Standard S model changes -- all internal, not so much external (although gold is neat).

I may upgrade. But haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Really? Day to day use, this is the 5, very little more.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you looking for to be different? They upgraded literally every spec on the phone to be clearly and irrefutably superior to the 5 besides the size/shape of the phone itself, which are superficial. This is a beast of a phone and a clear upgrade spec/feature wise. People will only be satisfied with superficial changes like screen size and casing design I suppose.

Ill definitely be upgrading from my 4S to the 5S. Ill be getting the 64GB Space Grey version.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Most are underestimating the upgrades in the 5s, and are not giving credit to some serious improvements and innovations. Most people are focused on the screen, and without a bigger screen it won't be seen as innovative or even new. That is short sighted. The processor is the first 64-bit of its type, leap frogging ARM and partners who are only in prototype mode. The M7 chip opens up a lot of possibilities for a hot market for devices like the jawbone up and fitbit. The camera should be quite a sizeable image quality and low light performance upgrade, but we will see after testing. The finger print reader is quite innovative and opens up a lot of corporate acceptance for security reasons. Losing a device should present less risk if the use of the reader can be enforced by admins. I want to see the battery life for sure, and it better be longer, quite a bit longer.

Overall, I think the 5s is a nice upgrade. Many will disagree and say they don't innovate. I disagree. When you combine iOS 7 and the hardware, I think there are quite a few improvements in there. Maybe not a lot more than a Samsung announcement, but on par for sure. Those that say Apple does not innovate, but claim Samsung and others do, are just haters. The sales results will tell.

How much can we really expect going forward an on annual upgrade path in terms of annual innovation? Innovation rarely comes linear in my experience. It comes in spurts. I think the 5s is targeted at 4 and 4s owners, not necessarily 5 owners. To me the only two things not on par and better that other phones out there are the screen size and the scratch factor for the aluminum. Those two need addressed in the 6, and I agree it would have been great if they would have addressed this this round. Everything else to me make this the best phone on the market, still.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Why? If the issue is money you may as well get a new 5C.

Money isn't an issue, it's just hinging on whether I want to burn an upgrade.

I could pay full retail on a 5S, but for me, if I were going that route a new/used 5 or off contract 5C seems more logical.

We will see, I'm just surprised there is no pre-order on the 5S, but there is on the 5C.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
If your on a 2 year upgrade plan you have to remember the vast majority of people that are eligible for the 5s are still using a 4s. Think of the differences between those two rather than the five to the s...

Sent from my Gameboy Color

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think today was a let down. Apple attempted a budget phone and failed. Yes the 5C is $99 on contract but it's $550 off........that's not budget, prepaid is actually coming back and there are much cheaper alternatives than the 5C. If this was Apple's attempt to stop Android from dominating overseas I don't think it will work.

If you are an iPhone user absolutely the camera features are enough to upgrade but they definitely are things that are and have been in plenty of phones. The fingerprint reader is cool but it's more of a business thing. The 64 bit processor is one of those things that the general population will go huh.........to. They have no idea what that does or even means, it just sounds cool. I don't think today was enough to sway the market share back towards iOS.

They're just more phones in the mobile market, nothing that makes them standout from the others. Apple just has a way of making their announcements big deals, Apple is a marketing company and they're very good at it, nobody can deny that. But Apple as a tech company anymore is average, they offer the same stuff most everybody else does.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
nope there hasn't. It was what i expected though. spec changes little more. Sadly the 5 was pretty much the same thing. meh on it. i'm sure some will love it though. Enjoy.

twitch3488

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
If your on a 2 year upgrade plan you have to remember the vast majority of people that are eligible for the 5s are still using a 4s. Think of the differences between those two rather than the five to the s...

Sent from my Gameboy Color

I agree. I'm still on a 4 so the 5s will be blazingly fast by comparison.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but the 3GS and 4S were much faster variants. The 5 was blazing fast in everything it did.

?????
And now it's TWICE as blazing fast. How is that not a significant improvement?
Combine that with the M7 coprocessor, 64 bit architecture and OpenGL ES 3.0, and it will do things that the 5/5C simply can't, once developers take advantage of these features.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
It's interesting to hear about the upgrades, but I seem to recall there wasn't much excitement when the 5 came out last year and Rene commented [I think] on the fact that Apple won't include technology if it isn't ready. Therefore a lot of folks thought they'd wait for the 5s. Now a few comments are - I'll wait for the 6. I wonder how long Apple can maintain people's anticipation?

My brother-in-law is an avid iPhone fan and was underwhelmed by what he followed on yesterday's launch and was openly talking about the Nokia 1020. Time will tell whether he actually switches platform though.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Im sorry but this new phone is totally consistent with the S versions.
The only feature that would make me upgrade is the fingerprint scanner, seems to work pretty good and fast on the videos I've seen.
The new camera and flash, cool but i dont really need it now, 99.9% of what I shoot has no flash.
Faster processor, dont need it, ios7 runs pretty smooth on my 5.
Gold iphone, thanks but no thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods