I can honestly say, this is the weakest upgrade in the Iphones lifetime.
    I think it is one of the more impressive upgrades.
    I wrote in another thread that you are getting all this and more over the 5 -

- New CPU with two times the performance.
    - GPU has two times the performance.
    - New M7 Chip sensor hub.
    - Improved camera with F/2.2 aperture
    - 1.5micron pixel patch
    - New dual LED flash
    - Fingerprint scanner
    - More LTE bands
    ... and more.

This is a pretty good bump.
    You have to look more at the internals and not so much the exterior, though it does look a bit different there as well.
    tack likes this.
    09-11-2013 11:19 PM
    If you are an iPhone user absolutely the camera features are enough to upgrade but they definitely are things that are and have been in plenty of phones. The fingerprint reader is cool but it's more of a business thing. The 64 bit processor is one of those things that the general population will go huh.........to. They have no idea what that does or even means, it just sounds cool. I don't think today was enough to sway the market share back towards iOS.

They're just more phones in the mobile market, nothing that makes them standout from the others. Apple just has a way of making their announcements big deals, Apple is a marketing company and they're very good at it, nobody can deny that. But Apple as a tech company anymore is average, they offer the same stuff most everybody else does.
    Not other phone has a flash system that can vary its color temperature. Actually no other camera has a flash system that can vary its color temperature (including Nikon or Canon). No other smartphone has a 64bit OS or CPU either. The general population knows that 64 is twice as much as 32, I am sure the Apple marketing machine will do the rest.

No other phone currently on the market has a finger print scanner either.

You may have a point on the pricing, but Apple is not offering the same stuff everyone else is. Quite the opposite in fact.
    09-11-2013 11:47 PM
    Not other phone has a flash system that can vary its color temperature. Actually no other camera has a flash system that can vary its color temperature (including Nikon or Canon). No other smartphone has a 64bit OS or CPU either. The general population knows that 64 is twice as much as 32, I am sure the Apple marketing machine will do the rest.

No other phone currently on the market has a finger print scanner either.

You may have a point on the pricing, but Apple is not offering the same stuff everyone else is. Quite the opposite in fact.
    They do know 64 is more than 32 but they aren't going to know what that means nor will the notice a difference in how the phone works.

I did acknowledge the fingerprint reader, it's something that we will see how it goes after launch.

Nobody else does have color changing flash, you are correct. But slow motion, burst mode and all that stuff has been done before.

I'm not saying the phone is a bad phone it's just another phone.
    MastrMeatWad likes this.
    09-11-2013 11:52 PM
    I think today was a let down. Apple attempted a budget phone and failed. Yes the 5C is $99 on contract but it's $550 off........that's not budget, prepaid is actually coming back and there are much cheaper alternatives than the 5C. If this was Apple's attempt to stop Android from dominating overseas I don't think it will work.

If you are an iPhone user absolutely the camera features are enough to upgrade but they definitely are things that are and have been in plenty of phones. The fingerprint reader is cool but it's more of a business thing. The 64 bit processor is one of those things that the general population will go huh.........to. They have no idea what that does or even means, it just sounds cool. I don't think today was enough to sway the market share back towards iOS.

They're just more phones in the mobile market, nothing that makes them standout from the others. Apple just has a way of making their announcements big deals, Apple is a marketing company and they're very good at it, nobody can deny that. But Apple as a tech company anymore is average, they offer the same stuff most everybody else does.
    I am curious what you (or anyone else who are disappointed) were expecting/want).

I have seen a lot of disappointed comments. But let me recap this years big events that "disappointed people"

The new Xbox one looked extremely impressive, yet it got so much heat, even excluding all the things they changed that I agree we're unfair)

The new moto X, androids first official google phone. It has tons of customization options and is optimized with android opposed to being added on to other manufacturers phones only to be ruined with skins.

Ios 7 got an initial hate period

Now the iPhone 5s which, as someone who knows a little about photography can say that the upgrades to the camera alone are pretty significant. The fingerprint scanner may seem gimmicky, but for businesses and government, this is a major feature. 64 bit architecture is a mobile first. It may mean nothing to average people, but it will help with games and intensive apps. The new motion sensed will help with apps like health apps or map apps and use less processor power.

I totally understand people have opinions, and we are all in titled to them, I just am very curious what people actually want! This phone seems like it is no less awesome than any other big phone. Screen size does NOT make a phone better or more innovative if that is the issue. It seems like leaks or high expectations are causing way too much negative attitude towards new products. We have phones that are as powerful as computers in our pockets! Technology does have to slow down as it gets better :-)

I want to know what would have made this phone "better" personally, I like that apple doesn't change exterior aesthetics on "s" phones because it allows accessories to build up better as the work for both models. I think this is actually more impressive then the galaxy s4 and right with the htc one.

(Please note, if I seemed frustrated at all it is not at you, its at the floods of people who are disappointed in general as if they expected an iPhone made out of real gold lol :-) )
    Fausty82 likes this.
    09-12-2013 12:50 AM
    I am curious what you (or anyone else who are disappointed) were expecting/want).

I have seen a lot of disappointed comments. But let me recap this years big events that "disappointed people"

The new Xbox one looked extremely impressive, yet it got so much heat, even excluding all the things they changed that I agree we're unfair)

The new moto X, androids first official google phone. It has tons of customization options and is optimized with android opposed to being added on to other manufacturers phones only to be ruined with skins.

Now the iPhone 5s which, as someone who knows a little about photography can say that the upgrades to the camera alone are pretty significant. The fingerprint scanner may seem gimmicky, but for businesses and government, this is a major feature. 64 bit architecture is a mobile first. It may mean nothing to average people, but it will help with games and intensive apps. The new motion sensed will help with apps like health apps or map apps and use less processor power.

I totally understand people have opinions, and we are all in titled to them, I just am very curious what people actually want! This phone seems like it is no less awesome than any other big phone. Screen size does NOT make a phone better or more innovative if that is the issue. It seems like leaks or high expectations are causing way too much negative attitude towards new products. We have phones that are as powerful as computers in our pockets! Technology does have to slow down as it gets better :-)

I want to know what would have made this phone "better" personally, I like that apple doesn't change exterior aesthetics on "s" phones because it allows accessories to build up better as the work for both models. I think this is actually more impressive then the galaxy s4 and right with the htc one.

(Please note, if I seemed frustrated at all it is not at you, its at the floods of people who are disappointed in general as if they expected an iPhone made out of real gold lol :-) )
    I think the disappointment from people comes that the rumors were right so there were no surprises. I guarantee you if there were no rumors about what we were going to see or if the rumors were wrong the excitement level would have been greater, not just for me but for everybody.

The rumors pointed to the 5C was going to be the budget phone to help iOS grow in markets where android is taking over (poor markets) this is where part of the disappointment is for people and myself because the budget phone turned out to be not so budget and maybe in Apple's eyes the 5C was never meant to be a budget phone, if that's the case then it's priced just fine.

I feel the same about the Moto X, it was supposed to be a budget phone, it's not even close to being one. In fact to me the Moto X is a middle of the road phone priced as a high end phone. What no company has been able to do (arguably Nokia has with the 521 and LG with the Nexus 4) is make a budget phone but not make the phone suffer because it is a budget phone. People aren't spending money on phones like they used to, I know a lot of people in the past few months ago have gone with the iphone 4 because it was free.

The iPhone 5S, I mentioned in another post on imore if apple would add the fingerprint reader and then give people a way to attach documents from within the mail app that would be huge in business. The fingerprint reader is nice fine get me wrong but I see it more beneficial in business. Nobody can deny the hardware camera improvements are impressive (other phones have had dual led flash though, Lumia 1020 and 928.) but it's very impressive. The software camera features aren't new, the Samsung Galaxy series has a lot of camera features as well does the Windows Phones. You could even do most of that on iOS with apps. So the camera software side is what it is. The 64 bit processor won't matter for a while i dont think, technology isn't at a point where it's a must have in a phone yet. I don't think it will be a selling point to the general population either, they have no idea what it means and neither do their buddies so it doesn't have that 'bragability' factor, the fingerprint reader does have 'bragability' however and will probably be the biggest selling point to the general population.

I'm not saying the new iPhones are bad phones by any means nor am I saying Apple has lost its touch. Apple has a totally different way of doing things than other OEMs so it's always going to seem like they're behind. Apple releases new phones once a year whereas everybody else releases phones every few months, a lot changes in 1 year of technology so of course other manufacturers will have it before apple does and based on where technology is at in apples refresh cycle Apple may be first on some things, thats how technology works. I don't think the iPhone 5S is a top end phone nor do I think it's a bottom end phone, it's just another phone that gives people options, certainly the iphone 5S is higher than the 5C.

To be honest I don't know what Apple could have done differently nor do I think anybody actually knows what they want in a phone. I too am on your side, people complain about a lot of the top dog phones but when given the opportunity to say why they're complaining the answer is I don't know.... Uhhhhhh what? You're think this is the best phone on the market right now, nothing wrong with that. Personally I think the galaxy note 3 is, the price is insane but it's an impressive phone. If you ask 10 people what they're top phone is you'll get 6 different answers, thats the plus to the time we live in, choices and competition.

Hopefully I answered a lot of what you talked about in your post. I'm not a fan boy of either side, I've got better things to do. If iOS works for you, use it.... If windows phone works for a family member, tell them to use it..... If you like Android for a tablet then use it. Technology is growing too rapidly right now to limit yourself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    09-12-2013 01:28 AM

Awesome insight on the S class upgrades staying with the same chassis because how many people with multiple cases for the 5 would be upset if they couldn't use those anymore because of a design change?

Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    09-12-2013 01:32 AM
    I think the disappointment from people comes that the rumors were right so there were no surprises. I guarantee you if there were no rumors about what we were going to see or if the rumors were wrong the excitement level would have been greater, not just for me but for everybody.

The rumors pointed to the 5C was going to be the budget phone to help iOS grow in markets where android is taking over (poor markets) this is where part of the disappointment is for people and myself because the budget phone turned out to be not so budget and maybe in Apple's eyes the 5C was never meant to be a budget phone, if that's the case then it's priced just fine.

I feel the same about the Moto X, it was supposed to be a budget phone, it's not even close to being one. In fact to me the Moto X is a middle of the road phone priced as a high end phone. What no company has been able to do (arguably Nokia has with the 521 and LG with the Nexus 4) is make a budget phone but not make the phone suffer because it is a budget phone. People aren't spending money on phones like they used to, I know a lot of people in the past few months ago have gone with the iphone 4 because it was free.

The iPhone 5S, I mentioned in another post on imore if apple would add the fingerprint reader and then give people a way to attach documents from within the mail app that would be huge in business. The fingerprint reader is nice fine get me wrong but I see it more beneficial in business. Nobody can deny the hardware camera improvements are impressive (other phones have had dual led flash though, Lumia 1020 and 928.) but it's very impressive. The software camera features aren't new, the Samsung Galaxy series has a lot of camera features as well does the Windows Phones. You could even do most of that on iOS with apps. So the camera software side is what it is. The 64 bit processor won't matter for a while i dont think, technology isn't at a point where it's a must have in a phone yet. I don't think it will be a selling point to the general population either, they have no idea what it means and neither do their buddies so it doesn't have that 'bragability' factor, the fingerprint reader does have 'bragability' however and will probably be the biggest selling point to the general population.

I'm not saying the new iPhones are bad phones by any means nor am I saying Apple has lost its touch. Apple has a totally different way of doing things than other OEMs so it's always going to seem like they're behind. Apple releases new phones once a year whereas everybody else releases phones every few months, a lot changes in 1 year of technology so of course other manufacturers will have it before apple does and based on where technology is at in apples refresh cycle Apple may be first on some things, thats how technology works. I don't think the iPhone 5S is a top end phone nor do I think it's a bottom end phone, it's just another phone that gives people options, certainly the iphone 5S is higher than the 5C.

To be honest I don't know what Apple could have done differently nor do I think anybody actually knows what they want in a phone. I too am on your side, people complain about a lot of the top dog phones but when given the opportunity to say why they're complaining the answer is I don't know.... Uhhhhhh what? You're think this is the best phone on the market right now, nothing wrong with that. Personally I think the galaxy note 3 is, the price is insane but it's an impressive phone. If you ask 10 people what they're top phone is you'll get 6 different answers, thats the plus to the time we live in, choices and competition.

Hopefully I answered a lot of what you talked about in your post. I'm not a fan boy of either side, I've got better things to do. If iOS works for you, use it.... If windows phone works for a family member, tell them to use it..... If you like Android for a tablet then use it. Technology is growing too rapidly right now to limit yourself.

Yes you did, thanks. I only ask because I see it so often in all technology blogs and I agree it's likely all the rummers and leaks. I wouldn't consider myself a fan either. I give props to Motorola and while I agree it should have been cheaper, it's still a good phone because it is optimized. Android as a whole is impressive in many ways, but sometimes it's open nature is just as good as it is bad. Carriers and manufacturers truly butcher the awesomeness that android is. I like ios and the iphone because I can rely on them. I also find the camera and apps tends to be better on ios. (In my opinion). Did not know Nokia had dual led flash, I thought it was I xenon light?

Anyway good response. The best part about technology is choice! I will likely upgrade to the 5s and then wait it out to the 6s if I stay with apple. Who knows, something android might change my mind by my next upgrade :-)
    09-12-2013 01:46 AM
    Yes you did, thanks. I only ask because I see it so often in all technology blogs and I agree it's likely all the rummers and leaks. I wouldn't consider myself a fan either. I give props to Motorola and while I agree it should have been cheaper, it's still a good phone because it is optimized. Android as a whole is impressive in many ways, but sometimes it's open nature is just as good as it is bad. Carriers and manufacturers truly butcher the awesomeness that android is. I like ios and the iphone because I can rely on them. I also find the camera and apps tends to be better on ios. (In my opinion). Did not know Nokia had dual led flash, I thought it was I xenon light?

Anyway good response. The best part about technology is choice! I will likely upgrade to the 5s and then wait it out to the 6s if I stay with apple. Who knows, something android might change my mind by my next upgrade :-)
    You are correct, both 928 and 1020 are xenon flash, I misspoke.

I am an android fan but they carriers do ruin it with all the extra crap. I do love pure android but Verizon doesn't offer pure Android. Touchwiz really agitated me today. Came across an accident but couldn't call it in because my note 2 locked up, had to take off my otterbox and do a battery pull. On my iPhones I will admit I've never not been able to make an urgent call when I needed to.

09-12-2013 01:54 AM
    Awesome insight on the S class upgrades staying with the same chassis because how many people with multiple cases for the 5 would be upset if they couldn't use those anymore because of a design change?

Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    Exactly, look at the variety of cases we have today! While many people may not upgrade from an i5 to i5s it allows cases to be made for both phones with no issues. Look at the variety the iPhone has compared to other phones. Keeping the same chassis allows for this. Also, as someone who watches all things technology, if I can remember correctly, most of the "s" phones are spec bumps and feature improvements where as the non-a models are mostly aesthetic and possibly some major features but performance wise there isn't as much as a bump from one to another.

From the 3GS to the 4 there was a whole new design, new camera, new screen technology and new dimensions but while the specs did change some, the weren't as strong as they were from the 3G to the 3GS. The 4s improved on power, and camera , however the five got less of an upgrade on the inner specs then it did on the outside appearance and features. Now I don't know why apple does this but I think it helps developers and accessory makers as well as the tech enthusiasts and fans that do upgrade every year.
    09-12-2013 02:01 AM
    You are correct, both 928 and 1020 are xenon flash, I misspoke.

I am an android fan but they carriers do ruin it with all the extra crap. I do love pure android but Verizon doesn't offer pure Android. Touchwiz really agitated me today. Came across an accident but couldn't call it in because my note 2 locked up, had to take off my otterbox and do a battery pull. On my iPhones I will admit I've never not been able to make an urgent call when I needed to.

Touchwiz is the worst offender in my experience. I hated my gs2 because its interface was the worst. Also I don't feel like Samsung really backs up their software. The ics update I got was so bad that I had to install a cyanogen mod just to get it to work normal. When that didn't work right, I ended up switching to a leaked updated version of samsungs jelly bean update. It was better than the official build of ics I had, but was still buggy and while it was a beta, it STILL Worked better than the official ics build I had. I eventually switch back to stock because of battery life, but I was done... That's when I decided i would try something new. Before the value of my phone went down more (s4 wasn't announced yet) I sold my phone and bought an off contract iphone 5 on eBay as a test to see if I liked it as a primary phone. I knew apple products hold value ridiculously well so I knew when my upgrade came out if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out much. My iPhone was pretty much new when I got it (mint) and I take great care of my phones so I would get top dollar and get something different. If I liked it, I would upgrade to the newest apple device (5s) and keep that for two years.

Don't know if I would have an apple phone if I had tried something else, but Samsung seems to be the top dog for android and they just don't do it for me.
    09-12-2013 02:12 AM
    Welll the note 3 was junk and so will the S5
    09-12-2013 06:41 AM
    Well it is still an upgrade from a 5 to a 5s.. But there shouldn't be to much changes I think iPhone is waiting to have a major upgrade when they announce the iPhone 6
    09-12-2013 06:49 AM
    I think that it is a great upgrade. As far as the M7 processor, I wish that Apple had leaned it more toward making Siri more functional, instead of a health monitor. Kinda like the Moto X, except we would say "ok, Siri", and it would have varied functions. Not to copy the Moto X, but to have some of the same basic premise. I just think that would add more usefulness than a health monitor. Just my opinion, though.....
    09-12-2013 07:38 AM
    If you upgrade every year you are going to be disappointed. I still think that the upgrade from the 5 to the 5S is worth it to Apple fans. But you don't really gain much from doing that. I think that I'm going to stop at this the 5 for now and then just upgrade my iPad and iPhone to the 6 models next year.
    09-12-2013 07:42 AM
    Obviously, the introduction of Siri was the big deal with 4S. And the fact that you couldnt run Siri on the 4 made the upgrade even more pronounced. Yes, you cant run a fingerprint scanner on the 5 I view that differently. The 4S had the computing power to run Siri, the 4 did not. That tells you something about the perceived bump in processing power. Also, the market was very different then. Apple was still way out in front of everyone else. The 4S was acceptable when you are a mile in front of your competition. The 5S is much less acceptable now that Android has passed, or at least equaled, the Iphone.
    You make some valid points but your bottom line is that apple is no longer ahead in the competition and that's a totally different subject whether or not it's true, the fact is this "S" version is 100% consistent with previous years, the internals were improved, better processor, better camera, new features the iphone 5 cant do, new fingerprint sensor... This 5S has "S" written all over it. Now, this is not the phone YOU think Apple should've released??? Maybe or maybe not... but that's a different subject which you are free and welcome to discuss in a new thread.
    09-12-2013 07:53 AM
    I see you all guys arguing but can I remind you that apple owe you nothing and they can do what they want ! It's a free world and nobody told you to buy this, if you're disappointed, stop hating and say "I would do that" and then do nothing. Build your company if you want... Apple make great product. Deal with it and stop arguing. Just enjoy the product because it's a hell of a good product
    Ipheuria likes this.
    09-12-2013 06:07 PM
    I'm sorry until apple builds a phone with a 4.5" screen at minimum I'm sticking with android for now. I've handled the 5 and after being use to a 4.7" screen on my razr maxx HD it's just in my opinion unusable for web browsing
    09-12-2013 08:35 PM
    I'm sorry until apple builds a phone with a 4.5" screen at minimum I'm sticking with android for now. I've handled the 5 and after being use to a 4.7" screen on my razr maxx HD it's just in my opinion unusable for web browsing
    I understand your point of view, but why do you (and the ones who hate/bash at every turn) feel the need to hang out here on an Apple-centric forum? Do they really expect to cause the scales to fall from our eyes so we see things the way they do?

I don’t mean to start anything, but I really am confused by the influx of critics and haters...
    09-12-2013 09:27 PM
    I understand your point of view, but why do you (and the ones who hate/bash at every turn) feel the need to hang out here on an Apple-centric forum? Do they really expect to cause the scales to fall from our eyes so we see things the way they do?

I don’t mean to start anything, but I really am confused by the influx of critics and haters...

Basically it's in hopes that Apple gets the hint that if they see enough folks dislike a product for one reason or another they will want to make a change in order to attract those of us who stay with a particular phone because of said reasons. I'm not here to bash I stated why I'm not switching over.
    09-12-2013 10:10 PM
    Basically it's in hopes that Apple gets the hint that if they see enough folks dislike a product for one reason or another they will want to make a change in order to attract those of us who stay with a particular phone because of said reasons. I'm not here to bash I stated why I'm not switching over.
    Here's the problem with your logic on being here...it assumes that Apple is doing something "wrong" by not offering the screen size YOU want. You're going to see (just like everyone does every year) that Apple will sell a record number of devices this year again...this tells us one thing, that Apple is doing just fine, that their decision to stay with the current size screen still satisfies a majority of their consumer base, and that there is no "problem".

I'm not saying that you're wrong for your desires for a larger screen iPhone, but you're (for the time being) not the majority...this is proven by the fact that we still have a 4" screen iPhone 5S. When the majority of the consumer base demands a larger screen, we'll probably get one, but for now, this is what we have...if it doesn't appeal to you based solely on screen size, then thankfully, you have some options to go to from Samsung and a slew of other manufacturers.

Coming here and complaining about the iPhone size though, in the attempt to get Apple to "get a hint" as you put it, is a completely moot point...and it gets a little old to be honest, because there are so many people (most of which are trolls) that come here and complain about it, when the reality is, most of us here with the iPhone are the ones that are satisfied with it, enjoy it and PREFER it...having to trudge through posts like yours becomes more annoying than anything, even though as a forum, everyone is open to offer their opinion.

I guess my only suggestion would be that if you've stated your opinion on the matter that you're not a fan of the iPhone or the size or whatever it is you're complaining about at a given time...do it and move on, don't flood every thread we have with the stuff, don't redundantly point out your opinion 50 times in a thread when once is enough to get the point. Speak your piece and move onto your phone of preference, otherwise it just looks like trolling.
    Fausty82, Just_Me_D and swarlos like this.
    09-13-2013 10:19 AM
    On the bright side, they've done all they can to keep you from spending your hard earned money. I was looking for any excuse to upgrade... guess I'll wait too.
    09-13-2013 11:33 AM
    I think if you have a 5 you should not upgrade! Please don't drain the supply for us 4s and below owners that want the upgrade. lol
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-13-2013 01:31 PM
    On the bright side, they've done all they can to keep you from spending your hard earned money. I was looking for any excuse to upgrade... guess I'll wait too.
    Care to provide examples?
    09-13-2013 01:59 PM
    I'm glad people put up some of the new specs and upgrades of the 5s. A thread like this there is no answer, resolution. It's all about opinion and some people will always be disappointed. If Apple could build a phone to please every person on earth the smartphone wars would be over.

The only thing I wonder is how a bigger screen is innovating? Android devices have done bigger screens forever. A battery that lasts 3 days on a charge to me that is innovating because I don't know of any smartphone that can do that?
    09-13-2013 02:54 PM
    Welll the note 3 was junk and so will the S5
    I don't see how you can label either one of these phones as "Junk" when neither one of them has been released yet.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-13-2013 06:03 PM
110 ... 2345