Maybe not to you, however, I'm sure it matters to a lot of other iPhone users out there who are upgrading to the 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app
    Dont get me wrong, if you have been using the 4S for two years then yes, you will see a huge difference between the two. Then again, you would have seen a huge difference between the 4S and the 5.

But as I said before, I think the Iphone 6 will be out sooner rather than latter. So if you get the 5S, you will be locked away from what should be a really big upgrade in the 6. Hey, just one mans opinion.
    09-11-2013 08:13 AM
    Some people will seriously never be satisfied with anything Apple releases, and will always feel the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Apple releases tech, and it's not good enough, Apple makes the tech better and more polished and they're not "innovative", Apple innovates the iPhone year after year and "I want it to be more like "x"...".

I mean seriously people, some of you are impossible.
    09-11-2013 08:17 AM
    The camera has many more improvements than the flash. The bigger sensor and therefore bigger pixels since the total megapixels stayed the same and the increased aperture should combine to create much better low light photography without needing to use the flash at all.
    True, but I was pointing out what new features would be really important for me to make me upgrade and the camera isn't one of them ( again, for me ) .. I'm sure it's better but I could live one more year with the iphone 5 camera just fine...
    The fingerprint scanner on the other hand...
    09-11-2013 09:04 AM
    If the finger print scanner can be used to sign into apps it will really be a great new feature. Imagine opening up your Bank of America app and get instant log in with the touch of the scanner! Right now though, its locked to Itunes purchases and unlocking the phone. Both of which are nice, but neither of which is a game changing feature. Not to mention we have to see just how easy to use it will be in real world use. The moto atrix fingerprint scanner was horrific.
    At this time, the finger print scanner cannot be used to sign into apps. The API will not be open to developers at this point, per the comments in the keynote.

And re: the comment of the moto atrix scanner, this is Apple, NOT Motorola. I have full confidence that Apple would not have implemented it if it wasn’t "ready for prime time". "nuf said.
    09-11-2013 09:10 AM
    At this time, the finger print scanner cannot be used to sign into apps. The API will not be open to developers at this point, per the comments in the keynote.

And re: the comment of the moto atrix scanner, this is Apple, NOT Motorola. I have full confidence that Apple would not have implemented it if it wasn’t "ready for prime time". "nuf said.
    I would agree and I would also expect Apple to do a better job than Motorola did. On the other hand, if it doesn't recognize my finger print, immediately, the first time and every time it will be a fail.
    Lamont Raccoon likes this.
    09-11-2013 09:34 AM
    Would you have been happier if Apple had pulled a Samsung, and thrown in a mega-ton of bloatware & worthless parlor tricks that nobody really uses in real life???
    Donnee likes this.
    09-11-2013 09:36 AM
    I can honestly say, this is the weakest upgrade in the Iphones lifetime.

I guess if you felt that a finger print scanner was something you were really hoping for.

Man was I hoping to be surprised at today's announcement.

by the way, Apple stock is down 10 bucks and dropping since the announcement.
    ​How would you classify the upgrade from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S?
    09-11-2013 10:10 AM
    This happens every other year for the S series. If anything, I'm grateful for a bigger battery
    09-11-2013 11:29 AM

You mean like the Siri beta release? or the new Apple Maps? Both of which fell short upon release. When both of these released the competition already had better alternatives. Even WP voice integration had app launching before Siri did. Not everything that Apple releases is "ready for prime time" Hate to burst your bubble.
    09-11-2013 12:11 PM
    You mean like the Siri beta release? or the new Apple Maps? Both of which fell short upon release. When both of these released the competition already had better alternatives. Even WP voice integration had app launching before Siri did. Not everything that Apple releases is "ready for prime time" Hate to burst your bubble.
    Apple Maps was a mess when it launched... but Siri was not a problem... and both have evolved since their release. But that does not negate my point that this is Apple and not moto in their previous or current iteration. If you aren’t interested in what Apple is selling, shop elsewhere. I firmly believe that Apple's fingerprint reader/scanner will be a hit. From day one.
    09-11-2013 12:28 PM
    There was NOTHING worth comparing to Siri upon release...nothing.

Maps on the other hand had Google Maps to compete with, so the aim might have been a bit high (but has worked great for me personally).
    09-11-2013 12:30 PM
    ​How would you classify the upgrade from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S?

Obviously, the introduction of Siri was the big deal with 4S. And the fact that you couldnt run Siri on the 4 made the upgrade even more pronounced. Yes, you cant run a fingerprint scanner on the 5 I view that differently. The 4S had the computing power to run Siri, the 4 did not. That tells you something about the perceived bump in processing power. Also, the market was very different then. Apple was still way out in front of everyone else. The 4S was acceptable when you are a mile in front of your competition. The 5S is much less acceptable now that Android has passed, or at least equaled, the Iphone.
    09-11-2013 01:03 PM

Maps on the other hand had Google Maps to compete with, so the aim might have been a bit high (but has worked great for me personally).
    There may not have been anything to compare Siri too at release, but the point is still valid. This is not the same Apple. The Apple that would never release something until it was 100% ready.

I still think the fingerprint scanner will be better than the Atrix though.
    09-11-2013 01:05 PM
    The improvements to the 5S from the 5 were pretty much on par with what I expected. I already made my
    decision over the summer that I wouldn't upgrade from my 5 and my decision hasn't changed after the
    unveiling. But it's not because of what people here are complaining about. The camera and speed of the
    phone are great improvements. So if I was on an iPhone other than the 5, I'd absolutely upgrade. But who
    knows. If I could weasel my way to a 5S somehow in the coming months without losing much money on my
    5, I'll probably do it. But I won't use an upgrade on it.
    09-11-2013 01:51 PM

Are you serious?! When Siri was released it may have had character, but it was just as functional than the competition. Siri and TellMe - a fair comparison - YouTube

And in regards to Google Maps...the AIM wasn't a bit high. That is the competition. Apple used Google Maps...then dropped it. Then tried to compete and still can't. Google Maps is in most respects the standard. Just like you would consider the iPhone the standard. People need to compete...not make excuses like, well maybe the bar is too high. That is rediculous. Especially since APPLE dropped the ball on maps. Drop one of your best features and try to replace it with your own software that was so bad that the CEO had to make a public apology. Geet some perspective man. If it was Android using Apple maps and then dropped the ball with Google maps, you'd be laughing all day long.
    Last edited by ejb222; 09-11-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    09-11-2013 01:55 PM
    Obviously, the introduction of Siri was the big deal with 4S. And the fact that you couldnt run Siri on the 4 made the upgrade even more pronounced. Yes, you cant run a fingerprint scanner on the 5 I view that differently. The 4S had the computing power to run Siri, the 4 did not. That tells you something about the perceived bump in processing power. Also, the market was very different then. Apple was still way out in front of everyone else. The 4S was acceptable when you are a mile in front of your competition. The 5S is much less acceptable now that Android has passed, or at least equaled, the Iphone.
    Understood.......Thanks.
    09-11-2013 02:13 PM

Vlingo was a decent competitor to Siri when it came out.
    09-11-2013 02:22 PM
    if it was the iphone 6 i would of expected more but since its the S its fine by me
    twitch3488 likes this.
    09-11-2013 02:50 PM
    There may not have been anything to compare Siri too at release, but the point is still valid. This is not the same Apple. The Apple that would never release something until it was 100% ready.

I still think the fingerprint scanner will be better than the Atrix though.
    Not only was the competition competitive with Siri or better(actual text conversation and FB chat talk to text) but didn't this very site run a huge article on how Siri fell seriously short of expectations. They ran a similar article with a poll of how many people actually used Siri effectively on a day to day basis, and the results were not even favorable. I really dont get the selective memory of you guys...even with the articles on this very sight. Why dont you go through the forums and see all the I wish Siri would...threads etc. Come on! Get real!
    09-11-2013 03:10 PM
    I see several of our annual posters have come back to pay a visit. Interesting to see that such an 'insignificant' product can stir up enough emotion that one would go out of their way to type complaints once a year before riding off again into the sunset.
    09-11-2013 03:58 PM

I guess if you felt that a finger print scanner was something you were really hoping for.

Man was I hoping to be surprised at today's announcement.

by the way, Apple stock is down 10 bucks and dropping since the announcement.
    Processor is 2X faster
    GPU is faster
    Added fingerprint sensor
    Improved camera
    64 bit processor
    More (the most) LTE bands
    Added/improved LED flash

Are screen size and external body the only things that count as "major" updates? I mean they already have LTE, they can't add 5G this year. They could have done NFC, but would that have made it major? I just don't get what people are expecting Apple to put in to these phones EVERY YEAR to make it a more significant update.
    This phone is not an upgrade from the 5, it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be incremental improvement from the 4S or earlier.

No one is innovating any faster in the mobile phone space as far as I can tell except for Nokia (athem, Microsoft.)
    Fausty82 and baseballbert like this.
    09-11-2013 07:46 PM
    I share the same sentiments with a lot of the others. I lee finitely would have liked better battery life.
    The upgrades are substantial to me and numbers will not tell the whole story, i.e. twice as fast processor and camera spec numbers, it will be evidenced with real life use. The phone will be faster and take better pics. An app opening in 1 second vs 2 seconds may not sound like much but will be appreciated when moving from app to app and other thing during daily use.
    I think people do get hung up on physical looks, but it's what's inside that really matters.
    Maybe an analogy would be getting a stripped down Mustang with cloth seats and regular stereo (which is still a nice car) versus a loaded Mustang GT with leather seats and premium sound system (which is a Really nice car) the difference will be realized with the use of the car, not so much the looks. (I know, the GT does look a little different, but mostly the same)
    It is all subjective, for some the regular mustang is fast enough and stereo sounds fine, others like the faster car and blasting the tunes.
    So, my point is-who the heck would get the regular Mustang ?
    09-11-2013 08:11 PM

I don't think this upgrade is weaker than others. The difference between the 5 and the 5s is as big as other "s" upgrades.

The difference is that Apple now has competition. We were expecting a big leap over the competition. Two years ago when we went from the 4 to the 4s, Apple was clearly and unarguably the leader. Today we have Android phones that overall are every bit as good. Sure, not as good in every area, but better in some. Maybe instead of comparing the iPhone 5s to the iPhone 5, we're subconsciously comparing it to the Galaxy S4 or the HTC One or the Moto X and hoping for a bigger differential.
    nyc_rock likes this.
    09-11-2013 08:53 PM
    I have a 4s and I am ready to upgrade to the 5s. I have used the LTE on my husbands 5 and I am excited to get access to that. I like the S variants of the phone because at that point they have the internal and external issues figured out with the new designs.
    09-11-2013 10:10 PM
    Dont get me wrong, if you have been using the 4S for two years then yes, you will see a huge difference between the two. Then again, you would have seen a huge difference between the 4S and the 5.

But as I said before, I think the Iphone 6 will be out sooner rather than latter. So if you get the 5S, you will be locked away from what should be a really big upgrade in the 6. Hey, just one mans opinion.
    My question is, what makes you think the 6 would come out any earlier than next fall. The kids at Cupertino have been pretty consistent with staying on a yearly release schedule for the phone for quite some time. Don't get me wrong, I would love for the iPhone 6 to come out in 6 months but I just don't see the reasoning behind it. IMO.
    09-11-2013 11:07 PM
110 12345