This was a pretty big jump for an S model, featurewise.

Really? Day to day use, this is the 5, very little more.
    09-10-2013 09:11 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you looking for to be different? They upgraded literally every spec on the phone to be clearly and irrefutably superior to the 5 besides the size/shape of the phone itself, which are superficial. This is a beast of a phone and a clear upgrade spec/feature wise. People will only be satisfied with superficial changes like screen size and casing design I suppose.

Ill definitely be upgrading from my 4S to the 5S. Ill be getting the 64GB Space Grey version.
    Just_Me_D, Donnee and Ipheuria like this.
    09-10-2013 10:18 PM
    Most are underestimating the upgrades in the 5s, and are not giving credit to some serious improvements and innovations. Most people are focused on the screen, and without a bigger screen it won't be seen as innovative or even new. That is short sighted. The processor is the first 64-bit of its type, leap frogging ARM and partners who are only in prototype mode. The M7 chip opens up a lot of possibilities for a hot market for devices like the jawbone up and fitbit. The camera should be quite a sizeable image quality and low light performance upgrade, but we will see after testing. The finger print reader is quite innovative and opens up a lot of corporate acceptance for security reasons. Losing a device should present less risk if the use of the reader can be enforced by admins. I want to see the battery life for sure, and it better be longer, quite a bit longer.

Overall, I think the 5s is a nice upgrade. Many will disagree and say they don't innovate. I disagree. When you combine iOS 7 and the hardware, I think there are quite a few improvements in there. Maybe not a lot more than a Samsung announcement, but on par for sure. Those that say Apple does not innovate, but claim Samsung and others do, are just haters. The sales results will tell.

How much can we really expect going forward an on annual upgrade path in terms of annual innovation? Innovation rarely comes linear in my experience. It comes in spurts. I think the 5s is targeted at 4 and 4s owners, not necessarily 5 owners. To me the only two things not on par and better that other phones out there are the screen size and the scratch factor for the aluminum. Those two need addressed in the 6, and I agree it would have been great if they would have addressed this this round. Everything else to me make this the best phone on the market, still.
    09-10-2013 10:22 PM
    Or more of a reason to try the S4. I am thoroughly disappointed.
    The S4 wasn't much of an upgrade over the S3 either.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 09-11-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    09-10-2013 11:40 PM
    Nonsense. Twice as much RAM, 64bit OS and CPU (a first for a mobile phone), the camera's new flash system and the fingerprint scanner are all substantial improvements.
    Just_Me_D, revtech and Donnee like this.
    09-10-2013 11:42 PM
    I'm disappointed. I was set to buy a 5S but I'm probably just going to buy a used or leftover new iPhone 5.
    Why? If the issue is money you may as well get a new 5C.
    09-10-2013 11:43 PM
    Twice as much RAM
    Where did you find the RAM specs? I could not find them.
    09-11-2013 12:08 AM
    Why? If the issue is money you may as well get a new 5C.
    Money isn't an issue, it's just hinging on whether I want to burn an upgrade.

I could pay full retail on a 5S, but for me, if I were going that route a new/used 5 or off contract 5C seems more logical.

We will see, I'm just surprised there is no pre-order on the 5S, but there is on the 5C.
    09-11-2013 12:14 AM
    If your on a 2 year upgrade plan you have to remember the vast majority of people that are eligible for the 5s are still using a 4s. Think of the differences between those two rather than the five to the s...

Sent from my Gameboy Color
    Donnee likes this.
    09-11-2013 12:44 AM
    I think today was a let down. Apple attempted a budget phone and failed. Yes the 5C is $99 on contract but it's $550 off........that's not budget, prepaid is actually coming back and there are much cheaper alternatives than the 5C. If this was Apple's attempt to stop Android from dominating overseas I don't think it will work.

If you are an iPhone user absolutely the camera features are enough to upgrade but they definitely are things that are and have been in plenty of phones. The fingerprint reader is cool but it's more of a business thing. The 64 bit processor is one of those things that the general population will go huh.........to. They have no idea what that does or even means, it just sounds cool. I don't think today was enough to sway the market share back towards iOS.

They're just more phones in the mobile market, nothing that makes them standout from the others. Apple just has a way of making their announcements big deals, Apple is a marketing company and they're very good at it, nobody can deny that. But Apple as a tech company anymore is average, they offer the same stuff most everybody else does.
    09-11-2013 12:53 AM
    nope there hasn't. It was what i expected though. spec changes little more. Sadly the 5 was pretty much the same thing. meh on it. i'm sure some will love it though. Enjoy.
    09-11-2013 01:25 AM
    If your on a 2 year upgrade plan you have to remember the vast majority of people that are eligible for the 5s are still using a 4s. Think of the differences between those two rather than the five to the s...

Sent from my Gameboy Color
    I agree. I'm still on a 4 so the 5s will be blazingly fast by comparison.
    09-11-2013 01:38 AM
    Yeah, but the 3GS and 4S were much faster variants. The 5 was blazing fast in everything it did.
    ?????
    And now it's TWICE as blazing fast. How is that not a significant improvement?
    Combine that with the M7 coprocessor, 64 bit architecture and OpenGL ES 3.0, and it will do things that the 5/5C simply can't, once developers take advantage of these features.
    09-11-2013 06:26 AM
    It's interesting to hear about the upgrades, but I seem to recall there wasn't much excitement when the 5 came out last year and Rene commented [I think] on the fact that Apple won't include technology if it isn't ready. Therefore a lot of folks thought they'd wait for the 5s. Now a few comments are - I'll wait for the 6. I wonder how long Apple can maintain people's anticipation?

My brother-in-law is an avid iPhone fan and was underwhelmed by what he followed on yesterday's launch and was openly talking about the Nokia 1020. Time will tell whether he actually switches platform though.
    09-11-2013 06:41 AM
    Im sorry but this new phone is totally consistent with the S versions.
    The only feature that would make me upgrade is the fingerprint scanner, seems to work pretty good and fast on the videos I've seen.
    The new camera and flash, cool but i dont really need it now, 99.9% of what I shoot has no flash.
    Faster processor, dont need it, ios7 runs pretty smooth on my 5.
    Gold iphone, thanks but no thanks.
    09-11-2013 07:04 AM
    "If your on a 2 year upgrade plan you have to remember the vast majority of people that are eligible for the 5s are still using a 4s. Think of the differences between those two rather than the five to the s..."

I am thinking of those people. If you are now eligible to go from a 4S to a 5S I think you should really take a second to evaluate. Apple will almost certainly make changes for the Iphone 6. If you upgrade now, from the 4S, you will have a year to wait until you can get the 6. If the 5 wasn't enough to get you to upgrade, the 5S surely isn't either. Not to mention, I honestly cant imagine it will take Apple another year to release the 6.
    09-11-2013 07:24 AM
    The only feature that would make me upgrade is the fingerprint scanner, seems to work pretty good and fast on the videos I've seen.
    The new camera and flash, cool but i dont really need it now, 99.9% of what I shoot has no flash.
    The problem is, in years past, the S marked a serious bump in performance. I own the 5 and it is as fast as an Iphone is going to be. Just like on the Android side, dual core or quad core, we are the point of diminishing returns.
    09-11-2013 07:27 AM
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you looking for to be different? They upgraded literally every spec on the phone to be clearly and irrefutably superior to the 5 besides the size/shape of the phone itself, which are superficial. This is a beast of a phone and a clear upgrade spec/feature wise. People will only be satisfied with superficial changes like screen size and casing design I suppose.

Ill definitely be upgrading from my 4S to the 5S. Ill be getting the 64GB Space Grey version.
    Honestly, I was hoping that Apple was able to fake everyone out and release an Iphone with a bigger screen and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better battery life. If nothing else, if they would have released the same phone with a finger print scanner and double the battery life I would have been pumped. But without increasing the size of the phone, battery life is going to be stuck where it is and on my 5, battery life is average at best.
    09-11-2013 07:32 AM
    I would say the jump from 5 to 5S is greater than the jump from 4 to 4S. The S is essentially for the previous generation holdouts like me (still on the 4). I am on the every 3rd generation schedule:

iPhone 2G <----BUY!!
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4 <------BUY!!
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5s <---- BUY!!
    yes i also believe that 5S is a better upgrade than 4S was. Siri is not used by many people outside US but fingerprint scanner will be used by people all over the world.
    09-11-2013 07:35 AM
    I'm on a 4S and my upgrade is available, so I'm going for it. It's either going to be a 5S or a 5C. I'd do the 5C based on cost and the 5S based on them having the color I want (Silver). Since the Apple store offers trade ins for the 4S and is paying more than Sprint will, I'll just trade it in and spend less on a new iPhone than I would on an Android. If Sprint had the Nokia Lumia 1020, I'd go for that, but they don't. So on to the new iPhone. Is it an amazing new iPhone? It's an S model or C model. No surprises.
    09-11-2013 07:48 AM
    The problem is, in years past, the S marked a serious bump in performance. I own the 5 and it is as fast as an Iphone is going to be. Just like on the Android side, dual core or quad core, we are the point of diminishing returns.
    The 5S is double the performance of the 5. That's a serious bump in performance - 2x on CPU and GPU.
    Fausty82, Tre and tack like this.
    09-11-2013 07:55 AM
    The camera has many more improvements than the flash. The bigger sensor and therefore bigger pixels since the total megapixels stayed the same and the increased aperture should combine to create much better low light photography without needing to use the flash at all.
    09-11-2013 07:57 AM
    But what does that mean in real life? Instead of infinity blade loading up in 2 seconds it will now load in 1 second? Instead of Safari opening in .75 seconds it will now open up in .375 seconds? These "double bumps" in speed don't mean what they used to mean.
    pegasusl likes this.
    09-11-2013 08:07 AM
    But what does that mean in real life? Instead of infinity blade loading up in 2 seconds it will now load in 1 second? Instead of Safari opening in .75 seconds it will now open up in .375 seconds? These "double bumps" in speed don't mean what they used to mean.
    Maybe not to you, however, I'm sure it matters to a lot of other iPhone users out there who are upgrading to the 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-11-2013 08:10 AM
    If the finger print scanner can be used to sign into apps it will really be a great new feature. Imagine opening up your Bank of America app and get instant log in with the touch of the scanner! Right now though, its locked to Itunes purchases and unlocking the phone. Both of which are nice, but neither of which is a game changing feature. Not to mention we have to see just how easy to use it will be in real world use. The moto atrix fingerprint scanner was horrific.
    09-11-2013 08:10 AM
110 1234 ...