iPhone 5s won't be available for pre order. (will be 9/20)

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5S won't be available for pre order. (will be 9/20)

I'm wondering if the reason why they aren't doing pre-orders is because they have enough stock on hand or they aren't anticipating as large of a demand for the phone. I'm just going to try my luck at going to the local Verizon store and hope they have some in stock. I'm not going to be able to go until lunch so hopefully they have something. There's also a Walmart nearby I could try. Knowing my luck, I'll be unlucky at both locales, will try to order online and will have to wait a few weeks...

I'm only in a rush because I wanna get rid of my POS insurance refurbished phone that hardly works.

According to TechnoBuffalo, the reason Apple isn't doing pre-orders may be due to the fact that there could be a shortage of supply due to the Touch ID fingerprint home button. My suggestion for you is to order online and choose the fastest shipping. That way you don't have to deal with whatever the in-store policy may be, and you get it just a couple days later.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I may do that. It's such a toss up. I just don't know if its better to order from my carrier or from Apple.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Ordering on the 20th won't be a preorder - it will be an order. Ordering on Friday the 20th, even overnight, might not get it to you until Monday - depends on how it's shipped. FedEx delivers on Sat, but UPS does not.

And you have to pay extra for Saturday delivery or at least that's what Verizon told me when I bought my 4s.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

Yes it will be.. The standard is free. and will be next business day.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Yes it will be.. The standard is free. and will be next business day.

When my mom ordered her iPhone 5, it came next business day. Although that was way after it was released, so that may not apply here. Either way, I'm just gonna order it on the 20th, choose the fastest shipping option, and wait.

Only question now is do I order it from apple or Verizon. I'm tempted to go with Verizon because I'm doing an alternate upgrade and their servers might also not be as hammered.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

The more I think about this, and obsess about this....the more I think I am just going to do the order online, and if I can't get online pickup, so be it. I had planned to trade my 4S in after thinking about it, because I figured it might be worth doing, but I don't know how that would work if I order it.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

I'll hopefully be able to get it the day of. going to go hit up my local apple store and if not hit up all the local verizon stores around me lol

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site

Wish I could go to my apple store. I'll be in Halifax and PEI for a vacation. Guess I'll just order online.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site

I don't understand why they wouldn't have a preorder for the 5S? They have for most of the other iPhones (that i know of). Why change things now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I don't understand why they wouldn't have a preorder for the 5S? They have for most of the other iPhones (that i know of). Why change things now?

Not sure why. I know for sure, however, that knowing why wouldn’t change anything. It is what it is...

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Not sure why. I know for sure, however, that knowing why wouldn?t change anything. It is what it is...

Amen to that. It is what it is. We'll get the phone when we get it. We've waited this long, a few extra days won't kill us. Plus those of us who have iPhones already have ios 7 to tide us over until we get our 5Ses.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Amen to that. It is what it is. We'll get the phone when we get it. We've waited this long, a few extra days won't kill us. Plus those of us who have iPhones already have ios 7 to tide us over until we get our 5Ses.
I feel the same way. In the past I always wanted to have the new iPhone on Launch day. Getting iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 in a few days is going to make it feel like a new phone anyway, therefore I can wait to get the 5S if I have to.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

I feel the same way. In the past I always wanted to have the new iPhone on Launch day. Getting iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 in a few days is going to make it feel like a new phone anyway, therefore I can wait to get the 5S if I have to.

i was able to get ios7 in june when it came out for developers i need my 5S now :p

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

ACK!! I need to get mine day 1 cause if my 5 sells on eBay then I don't want to keep the buyer waiting eek LOL. Will probably hit up T-Mobile since they'll be selling unlocked phones.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site

Finally, some direction. Just got this email from apple.
50D3C390-480F-4282-9F1E-1D08E488E8E3-23188-000007CC633D84E0_zps20d40bbe.jpg

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site

Apple wants the publicity of seeing people waiting in line to buy the 5S. If you can preorder the 5S, there is no reason to wait in line on release day. Simple. It's all about the marketing.

Sent from somewhere

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site

I doubt that's the reason. I'm guessing it was a stock issue and they needed the extra week to make sure they had enough.

I'm kind of afraid that they won't have enough....
I think it's a sick issue. I bet the device is quite the chore to put together.

I want a 64gb Gold and I have a feeling that will be a really popular option.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Just want to apologize to the OP for my initial response as I was apparently wrong...Apple seems to be planning no pre-ordering for the 5S (had a sort of solid verification from my buddy that works for AT&T, he said that if there was going to be a pre-ordering period for it, they would have seen it for certain by now at least behind the scenes).

I can say this though, Apple aint doing it to try and get lines in the store...they don't have to, it happens every time regardless, and would have happened this time (probably more since there's two models). I can really only guess that the network for pre-ordering was probably not up to par, or that they're hoping that not offering pre-orders will help with the low stock issues they've seen in years past on release weekend.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

I'm guessing to add emphasis to the 5C. They really need that to sell. It's over a week of marketing for it pushing the colors. If the shipping times start getting pushed back, it'll give off a sense that this was a success and in demand.

And if you think about it, that will be remarkable considering what the 5C is.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro