Only the 5C will be available for pre-order. Just asked Verizon rep and he told me no 5S for pre-order.
    I can confirm this. Just called Verizon and was told the same thing.

Does apple do next-day shipping on phone orders? If we choose this shipping option on the 20th, will that get us the phone on the 21st, or are we looking at Monday the 23rd either way?
    09-12-2013 07:51 AM
    I can confirm this. Just called Verizon and was told the same thing.

Does apple do next-day shipping on phone orders? If we choose this shipping option on the 20th, will that get us the phone on the 21st, or are we looking at Monday the 23rd either way?
    Ordering on the 20th won't be a preorder - it will be an order. Ordering on Friday the 20th, even overnight, might not get it to you until Monday - depends on how it's shipped. FedEx delivers on Sat, but UPS does not.
    21stNow likes this.
    09-12-2013 08:17 AM
    I still have a feeling that we're going to see a pre-ordering period next week for the 5S, but if not, I'm just going to wait and get mine when the crowds die down...no rush at all really, they'll have plenty of stock I think this year.
    09-12-2013 08:58 AM
    I still have a feeling that we're going to see a pre-ordering period next week for the 5S, but if not, I'm just going to wait and get mine when the crowds die down...no rush at all really, they'll have plenty of stock I think this year.
    I hope you're right. I'm always in the conundrum of wanting it on day 1 - but I work + I can't stand waiting in lines. First world problems...
    rednocturne307 and ame like this.
    09-12-2013 09:25 AM
    I'm wondering if the reason why they aren't doing pre-orders is because they have enough stock on hand or they aren't anticipating as large of a demand for the phone. I'm just going to try my luck at going to the local Verizon store and hope they have some in stock. I'm not going to be able to go until lunch so hopefully they have something. There's also a Walmart nearby I could try. Knowing my luck, I'll be unlucky at both locales, will try to order online and will have to wait a few weeks...

I'm only in a rush because I wanna get rid of my POS insurance refurbished phone that hardly works.
    09-12-2013 10:30 AM
    I'm wondering if the reason why they aren't doing pre-orders is because they have enough stock on hand or they aren't anticipating as large of a demand for the phone. I'm just going to try my luck at going to the local Verizon store and hope they have some in stock. I'm not going to be able to go until lunch so hopefully they have something. There's also a Walmart nearby I could try. Knowing my luck, I'll be unlucky at both locales, will try to order online and will have to wait a few weeks...

I'm only in a rush because I wanna get rid of my POS insurance refurbished phone that hardly works.
    According to TechnoBuffalo, the reason Apple isn't doing pre-orders may be due to the fact that there could be a shortage of supply due to the Touch ID fingerprint home button. My suggestion for you is to order online and choose the fastest shipping. That way you don't have to deal with whatever the in-store policy may be, and you get it just a couple days later.
    09-12-2013 01:35 PM
    I may do that. It's such a toss up. I just don't know if its better to order from my carrier or from Apple.
    09-12-2013 01:58 PM
    Ordering on the 20th won't be a preorder - it will be an order. Ordering on Friday the 20th, even overnight, might not get it to you until Monday - depends on how it's shipped. FedEx delivers on Sat, but UPS does not.
    And you have to pay extra for Saturday delivery or at least that's what Verizon told me when I bought my 4s.
    09-12-2013 02:07 PM
    Yes it will be.. The standard is free. and will be next business day.
    09-12-2013 02:34 PM
    Yes it will be.. The standard is free. and will be next business day.
    When my mom ordered her iPhone 5, it came next business day. Although that was way after it was released, so that may not apply here. Either way, I'm just gonna order it on the 20th, choose the fastest shipping option, and wait.

Only question now is do I order it from apple or Verizon. I'm tempted to go with Verizon because I'm doing an alternate upgrade and their servers might also not be as hammered.
    09-12-2013 04:54 PM
    The more I think about this, and obsess about this....the more I think I am just going to do the order online, and if I can't get online pickup, so be it. I had planned to trade my 4S in after thinking about it, because I figured it might be worth doing, but I don't know how that would work if I order it.
    09-12-2013 06:28 PM
    I'll hopefully be able to get it the day of. going to go hit up my local apple store and if not hit up all the local verizon stores around me lol
    09-12-2013 06:30 PM
    Wish I could go to my apple store. I'll be in Halifax and PEI for a vacation. Guess I'll just order online.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    09-12-2013 06:58 PM
    I don't understand why they wouldn't have a preorder for the 5S? They have for most of the other iPhones (that i know of). Why change things now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    09-12-2013 07:15 PM
    I don't understand why they wouldn't have a preorder for the 5S? They have for most of the other iPhones (that i know of). Why change things now?

Not sure why. I know for sure, however, that knowing why wouldn’t change anything. It is what it is...
    Alli likes this.
    09-12-2013 07:20 PM
    Not sure why. I know for sure, however, that knowing why wouldnt change anything. It is what it is...
    Amen to that. It is what it is. We'll get the phone when we get it. We've waited this long, a few extra days won't kill us. Plus those of us who have iPhones already have ios 7 to tide us over until we get our 5Ses.
    09-12-2013 08:42 PM
    Amen to that. It is what it is. We'll get the phone when we get it. We've waited this long, a few extra days won't kill us. Plus those of us who have iPhones already have ios 7 to tide us over until we get our 5Ses.
    I feel the same way. In the past I always wanted to have the new iPhone on Launch day. Getting iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 in a few days is going to make it feel like a new phone anyway, therefore I can wait to get the 5S if I have to.
    09-12-2013 08:51 PM
    I feel the same way. In the past I always wanted to have the new iPhone on Launch day. Getting iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 in a few days is going to make it feel like a new phone anyway, therefore I can wait to get the 5S if I have to.
    i was able to get ios7 in june when it came out for developers i need my 5S now :P
    09-12-2013 10:10 PM
    ACK!! I need to get mine day 1 cause if my 5 sells on eBay then I don't want to keep the buyer waiting eek LOL. Will probably hit up T-Mobile since they'll be selling unlocked phones.
    09-13-2013 02:11 AM
    Finally, some direction. Just got this email from apple.

09-13-2013 06:30 AM

Apple wants the publicity of seeing people waiting in line to buy the 5S. If you can preorder the 5S, there is no reason to wait in line on release day. Simple. It's all about the marketing.

Sent from somewhere
    09-13-2013 07:22 AM
    Apple wants the publicity of seeing people waiting in line to buy the 5S. If you can preorder the 5S, there is no reason to wait in line on release day. Simple. It's all about the marketing.

Sent from somewhere
    I doubt that's the reason. I'm guessing it was a stock issue and they needed the extra week to make sure they had enough.
    09-13-2013 07:50 AM
    I doubt that's the reason. I'm guessing it was a stock issue and they needed the extra week to make sure they had enough.
    I'm kind of afraid that they won't have enough....
    I think it's a sick issue. I bet the device is quite the chore to put together.

I want a 64gb Gold and I have a feeling that will be a really popular option.

09-13-2013 09:46 AM
    Just want to apologize to the OP for my initial response as I was apparently wrong...Apple seems to be planning no pre-ordering for the 5S (had a sort of solid verification from my buddy that works for AT&T, he said that if there was going to be a pre-ordering period for it, they would have seen it for certain by now at least behind the scenes).

I can say this though, Apple aint doing it to try and get lines in the store...they don't have to, it happens every time regardless, and would have happened this time (probably more since there's two models). I can really only guess that the network for pre-ordering was probably not up to par, or that they're hoping that not offering pre-orders will help with the low stock issues they've seen in years past on release weekend.
    09-13-2013 09:50 AM
    Apple confirms details for iPhone 5s availability, business as usual | iMore

Online orders will begin from 12:01am PDT on Friday September 20...
    09-13-2013 10:42 AM
117 ... 2345