Hey all,

Just wondering if the Apple store has similar policies like authorized retailers (Best Buy/Amazon etc) when it comes to using a particular line for an upgrade and then moving that newly activated phone to another line? Those retailers will usually charge some form of ETF for moving that newly subsidized phone off the line within X months.

For instance Line A is eligible for an upgrade. I use it to upgrade to the new iPhone, activate it and then do a SIM swap to my Line B (all within my 1 Verizon account). I know I can do that with no penalties if I were to purchase my phone from Verizon, but not sure if the same would apply with Apple.

Thanks!
    09-05-2013 11:25 PM
    Hey all,

Just wondering if the Apple store has similar policies like authorized retailers (Best Buy/Amazon etc) when it comes to using a particular line for an upgrade and then moving that newly activated phone to another line? Those retailers will usually charge some form of ETF for moving that newly subsidized phone off the line within X months.

For instance Line A is eligible for an upgrade. I use it to upgrade to the new iPhone, activate it and then do a SIM swap to my Line B (all within my 1 Verizon account). I know I can do that with no penalties if I were to purchase my phone from Verizon, but not sure if the same would apply with Apple.

Thanks!
    Typically, no. Anything along the line of a SIM-swap, as described above, require an additional trip to your wireless provider, as well. They just aren’t set up for that at Apple.
    09-06-2013 12:47 AM
    Hey all,

Thanks!
    Well yes and no .. Apples system is limited really but what they do is call customer care 611 and then the rep does what u want over the phone .. Word of advise call Verizon and swap before ever turning on the phone .. This way it never fully goes to the line it was upgraded on you just sign the contract attached to that line. If you don't do it this way then apple will have to give you a new SIM card because when they try to swap the line the other sim is toast

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    09-06-2013 02:59 AM
    Typically, no. Anything along the line of a SIM-swap, as described above, require an additional trip to your wireless provider, as well. They just arent set up for that at Apple.
    But if you buy the phone during the launch, Apple had carrier reps in the stores to help with these sorts of changes.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    09-06-2013 07:30 AM
    But if you buy the phone during the launch, Apple had carrier reps in the stores to help with these sorts of changes.
    If they do have carrier reps in their stores during this launch, it shouldn't be a problem for them to do what the OP was asking.
    09-06-2013 08:12 AM
    If they do have carrier reps in their stores during this launch, it shouldn't be a problem for them to do what the OP was asking.
    They've had carrier reps for all carriers in the Apple stores for all the launch days I've been at since the iPhone 4. And the reps had their own laptops connected to whatever systems they needed to access. I've switched Sims around with no issues which I'll have to do again this year because I'll take my husbands upgrade.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-06-2013 08:15 AM
    I have Sprint and on past 2 launch days they had reps in Apple store who swapped phone numbers for me very quickly at for no extra charge.
    09-06-2013 08:24 AM
    This might depend on the stores or only in the US. Granted I've only been to the iPhone 4 launch but at that time here in Toronto where I am there were no reps in the Apple stores. The reps from the carriers which were in the mall were coming around to the line trying to get customers to come and buy the phones at their stores.
    09-06-2013 02:31 PM
    It may be US only then. Last year my Apple store had reps from all major carriers.
    09-06-2013 03:51 PM
    It may be US only then. Last year my Apple store had reps from all major carriers.
    The last time I was in an Apple store for a product launch was 2011 - the iPhone 4... no reps then... but that was 2 years ago. I’m glad that they offer that service now - or at least have the reps available.
    09-06-2013 04:15 PM
    The last time I was in an Apple store for a product launch was 2011 - the iPhone 4... no reps then... but that was 2 years ago. Im glad that they offer that service now - or at least have the reps available.
    I've seen them on launch day since the iPhone 4, but maybe it's only in the bigger US stores.
    09-06-2013 04:17 PM
    Since I as a Verizon customer can, via Apple's web site, check if I'm eligible for upgrade pricing or not... that tells me Apple has enough means to perform the same kinds of account transactions Verizon reps would, so no Verzon Reps should be needed in an Apple store to complete transactions... plus, anyone with a MyVerizon account can swap devices among lines on their account.
    09-06-2013 04:22 PM
    I was able to upgrade to my iPhone 5 from my verizon upgrade at the apple store.
    09-06-2013 04:25 PM
    The way I did it was I called Verizon and had them transfer the upgrade to the line I wanted it on before preordering the phone. That's what I did to get my 4S, and that's what I'm planning on doing to get the 5S.
    09-06-2013 06:00 PM
    The way I did it was I called Verizon and had them transfer the upgrade to the line I wanted it on before preordering the phone. That's what I did to get my 4S, and that's what I'm planning on doing to get the 5S.
    This is good to know. I didn't think carriers would transfer a upgrade to another line that wasn't eligible yet. Always thought you had to upgrade the line then transfer the phone to the other line.
    09-06-2013 06:12 PM
    That would make things very simple. BUT, it sounds risky. If I were to transfer that upgrade to my unlimited data line... that sounds like the 2 year extension would be applied to the line with the unlimited data. That would mean new contract.. which means change/loss of unlimited data.
    09-06-2013 10:37 PM
    That would make things very simple. BUT, it sounds risky. If I were to transfer that upgrade to my unlimited data line... that sounds like the 2 year extension would be applied to the line with the unlimited data. That would mean new contract.. which means change/loss of unlimited data.
    They call it a alternate upgrade .. Just upgrade the line that has the upgrade then swap the phone to the line you want ie unlimited line before it actually is activated on the line that used the upgrade.
    This can be done in apple with a rep also at carrier store of call 611

My experience with carrier reps in apple have been horrible there rules are different .. As Ashamed as I am I almost got kicked out of apple for blowing up on the rep and apple employee ..
    I called apple said I'm a authorized user on my Verizon account and asked would this be a prob they said no as long as I had passcode etc ( and I did ) .. So I reserve one go there 30 min away to pick it up and get told by carrier rep authorized users can not do upgrades ( not true) said account holder had to be there .. ( it's a family account with 5 lines we all share .. Account holder is 7 hours away ) I argued and argued got pissed because they lied to me on the phone when I called etc they has to tell me to calm down lol .. So I finally left pissed went to a Verizon store was in and out in 10 min tops ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    09-07-2013 04:13 AM
    Honestly, even if you don't transfer the upgrade first, it's pretty simple. At least on Verizon it is. You can just preorder the phone using the line that's eligible. When the phone arrives and you go to activate it, the prompt asks what phone number you want to activate the phone for. Enter the number of the line you want it on.

Done.
    09-07-2013 01:41 PM