ways around finger print sensors

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned this in the other thread. didn't get any replies on it and thought maybe this deserves its own thread anyway. The other asks if people are excited about the new fingerprint sensor. This thread asks, Do you will it work?

for instance what if thieves start cutting peoples fingers off to get past it?

okay so maybe apple makes it detect body heat too. this would help stop that and wax finger impressions.

except now it's -20 degrees outside, I'm waiting for the bus, and it thinks my real finger is a fake.

or maybe I got gloves on. LOL or what if I get a paper cut that ruins what my fingerprint looks like?

I really want this to work. I hate using passwords. but I'm skeptical as to whether it will.

thoughts?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not for national security or anything. It's just an easier way to secure your device from possible intruders. I don't believe we will have thieves grabbing iPhones and cutting off fingers to gain access.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Cutting people's fingers off, really? No offense but I think you're being a bit over dramatic with this. Did Apple have their introduction already? Because as far as I know, no one knows for sure that a fingerprint scanner is even going to be available on the 5S....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
LOL! yeah you're right. most petty thieves who try to steal the phone won't go that far. no doubt plenty of people like myself don't use a password on the phone because of the hassle but would use the fingerprint thing, making many more iphones secure, and thus less attractive to most thieves.

but finger nabbing might happen some. It's already happened.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Malaysia car thieves steal finger

secondly what if I have a paper cut, or something like that. could be that I couldn't get into my own phone. LOL

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
in the set-up, you will likely have to have the sensor be able to recognize more than one finger... paper cut issue covered. If you loose both hands in a freak accident, you'll be totally screwed... and I'm guessing there will be a way to bypass the fingerprint with a passcode...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
LOL! yeah you're right. most petty thieves who try to steal the phone won't go that far. no doubt plenty of people like myself don't use a password on the phone because of the hassle but would use the fingerprint thing, making many more iphones secure, and thus less attractive to most thieves.

but finger nabbing might happen some. It's already happened.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Malaysia car thieves steal finger

secondly what if I have a paper cut, or something like that. could be that I couldn't get into my own phone. LOL

I don't understand the "hassle" you're referring to in regard to entering a passcode. I suppose it takes about 2 seconds to enter a 4-digit passcode. I would think it would be more of a hassle if the fingerprint scanner fail to recognize your print.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
its hard to explain but that 2-3 seconds gets annoying to me having to do it every single time I turn the phone on. I know its a "first world problem" but still it's annoying enough to me, that I don't use the password thing, and I bet thats why most people don't. I bet thats also why apple is maybe doing the fingerprint thing

my hope is that the fingerprint thing will be as fast as turning it on. Why else would they be sticking it in the home button? Thats my thoughts on it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand, and was just curious. One thing to note, however, is your use of "most people". Most, if not all, of the people *I know* personally who own an iPhone have it passcode protected. As for the fingerprint scanner, I suppose we'll know soon enough...:)...Anyway, thank you for clarifying, and take care...:)

Last edited:

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 7 will go beyond fingerprint technology.

Front facing camera will double as a retina scanner.
Your iris will be scanned, and after your identity is confirmed in their database, the NSA will allow you to use your phone.

Damn. They might think this a great idea if they read this.

:eek:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would try a black paper so it will read the last used print

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 7 will go beyond fingerprint technology.

Front facing camera will double as a retina scanner.
Your iris will be scanned, and after your identity is confirmed in their database, the NSA will allow you to use your phone.

Damn. They might think this a great idea if they read this.

:eek:
LMAO! even if they thought it was a good idea the front facing camera would need a pretty big improvement to pull that off. LOL

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
On my Nexus tablet which has facial unlock, when it can't identify my face (usually in low light or if I'm holding it wrong), it goes to a pattern or passcode unlock.

Imagine an iPhone with a fingerprint sensor would do something similar -- the feature is for convenience, not for super-high security.

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am actually one of the people who cannot wait to try this, like someone else said, entering 4 digit PIN numbers is PITA! I unlock my phone very frequently because my work email is on it, it is really pain to have to unlock and enter the PIN like 3 or 4 times in the span of 10 minutes, and that's why I don't use a PIN although I probably should.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711