How many of you have decided your 100% upgrading from the iPhone 5 to the 5S?

Will you upgrade from your iPhone 5 to the 5S?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 18 25.4%

• Total voters

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
How many of you who own the iPhone 5 right now have decided on upgrading to the 5S when it's released in September? Also, why?

Is it to just have the latest and greatest? Or are the rumors surrounding the new device excite you?

For me, I would want to get the new iPhone 5s because it's the latest and greatest. I have also heard that the camera is going to stay at 8 megapixels but the sensor is going to be upgraded. Dual flash and a new home button all sound pretty awesome. But what is going to be offered with the 5S that currently isn't available with the 5?

When the 4S came out, they made Siri available strictly to the 4S and that's what really set the 4 and the 4S apart.

But what gimmick will apple use this year to gear you towards upgrading to the 5S?

I myself just upgraded recently from an iPhone 5 16 gig ( dropped in toilet without insurance ) to an iPhone 5 32 gig and I'm quite happy about it. But the little kid in me still wants the latest and greatest even though it's probably not necessary.

What are your thoughts iMore?

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not due for a full upgrade till Sep. 2014. I don't want to waste a partial upgrade on a refresh only, therefore I'll either keep my iPhone 5 or get the unlocked 5S version direct from Apple when it"s released.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an upgrade available in November. There's a good chance I'll upgrade to the 5S and give my wife the 4S.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Between my husband and I we have two upgrades but on opposing years. So I always get the newest one and he gets the one year old phone I currently have.

We have 5 lines on our AT&T account, and like Karen, I always get the new phone... the old one gets passed down in the family... this iPhone launch will be no different... it’s good to be king (or dad)...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Lucky you, I couldn't do that with my wife, she'd go like " I dont think so ". =)

Dude, you let her wear the pants in your family? :)

Seriously, though, I get the new iPhone, but I pay for it on other ways (jewelry, shoes, etc)...

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a bad habit of going with latest and greatest, whether I need it or not, or even if it is the right choice. Lol

I have had my i5 for a little over 6 months and I am trying to kick this habit by skipping an upgrade. Someone please remind me I said I wasn't getting the 5s when it launches and the forums are going crazy discussing it. :)

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah my husband has a WoW obsession so he cares about the phone a lot less than I do. So I get the new one each year but I also have to be the one to go get it, get the phone numbers switched, get his phone restored, etc. but I get the new toy. We also only have a couple of years before we start passing his phone to our oldest child. Right now we usually sell it or trade it in.
My husband is worse, I finally managed to pry his 6 year old Nokia 6131 out if his hands and got him a new Asha 311 last year October. He still keeps telling me how better his old phone was, go figure. :D

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I will be upgrading if it is SIGNIFICANTLY different that the 5. Why I make that comment is because I have a perfect 4S now so if worth it I will upgrade because my upgrade it sitting here waiting to be used. I am not taking into effect iOS 7 because I can put that on the 5 and save money but if the form factor is just as good as the 5 and much different than it will be the 5S that I will upgrade to or whatever it is going to be called.

floydstyle

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I used to upgrade my iPhone every update. Simply because my wife and I both own an iPhone. So every year, I am upgrading the older device. Right now, I'm on the iPhone 5 and my wife has the 4S. This time, I will not upgrade to the 5S and give the 5 to the wife. I'll pass

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The jump from the iphone 4 to 4S was significant IMO.

Not only was there Siri, but the 4S was practically all new hardware inside: (hspa+ which resulted in faster data speeds, bluetooth 4.0, mics, 8MP camera, 1080p video recording, increased battery life, louder speaker, airplay mirroring, and a 64gb option ) . The 4S was twice as fast sporting a dual core processor vs the single one in the 4. I don't know about anyone else, but the iphone 4 was lagging for me and the speed of the 4S was welcomed. Plus the antenna issues were fixed.

Now if the 5S is as significant of a jump from the 5, then count me in. But this is doubtful. I don't expect the 5S to be twice as fast and the 5 isn't really lagging for me like the 4 was. There's no antenna bug to fix. We're at LTE speeds. RAM is sufficient. Well, you get the idea.

For me, it'd take a heck of a sales presentation on that fingerprint sensor or several small things (like the 4S had over the 4) that added up to compel me.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If it's a 5S with the same dimensions, bump in processor, and has something like a fingerprint
sensor, and another feature like it that just won't be useful to me, then, no. I'll stick with my 5.

Besides that, I'm not going to upgrade through carriers anymore. Full price for me and unlocked
phones.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Is it to just have the latest and greatest? Or are the rumors surrounding the new device excite you?

The rumors are very exciting. Except for the "gold" enclosure.
I'm just hoping it looks better than the Photoshopped concepts.
(I just want bare, polished Liquidmetal ! ! ! ! !)

But, alas, no matter how fantastic the "5S" is going to be, I won't be getting one.
I'm on the even-year upgrade cycle on AT&T, and I've gotten used to waiting.
Waited for 1 year after Siri was released, because my old iPhone 4 couldn't run Siri.
Looks like I'll be waiting for a year before I can unlock my iPhone "6" with a fingerprint.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
How many of you who own the iPhone 5 right now have decided on upgrading to the 5S when it's released in September? Also, why?

For me, I would want to get the new iPhone 5s because it's the latest and greatest. I have also heard that the camera is going to stay at 8 megapixels but the sensor is going to be upgraded. Dual flash and a new home button all sound pretty awesome. But what is going to be offered with the 5S that currently isn't available with the 5?

When the 4S came out, they made Siri available strictly to the 4S and that's what really set the 4 and the 4S apart.

But what gimmick will apple use this year to gear you towards upgrading to the 5S?

I myself just upgraded recently from an iPhone 5 16 gig ( dropped in toilet without insurance ) to an iPhone 5 32 gig and I'm quite happy about it. But the little kid in me still wants the latest and greatest even though it's probably not necessary.

What are your thoughts iMore?

Dropped in the nasty toilet? Damn.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I won't be upgrading. iOS 7 on the 5 will be plenty amazing to keep me happy another year. I can't justify spending that extra $600 to upgrade on a 2nd year.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Normally skip the "S" generations but this time I think I'll go with the 5S mainly because I want to go back to black and hold me through until the 6 comes out. I'll probably keep it as a backup, or more and likely sell it and use the money for the 6. The true deciding factor is what is announced on the 10th. If it does come in a 128GB version I'm automatically sold.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods