Are you excited about the supposed finger print sensor

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds interesting as long as it is implemented right. The only way I could see them integrating a scanner would be built into the home button. Don't think they would add another hardware element to the phone but we only have to wait 27 more days to find out!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Can't say I'm interested. I value how fast I can get something done from when I pull my iphone out of my pocket. If this takes more than a few seconds, then it's useless. A couple of failed attempts? I'll just consider it garbage and leave it turned off.

I use the home button a lot as it is and share John's concern especially in hoping it doesn't create more problems for what we use it for now.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
"S" for sub-par update if this is indeed what the update is.

Any time there is a S model, the updates are just internal. Better processor, camera, and maybe 1 other key feature. This should not be a surprise to you. Everybody says each S model is lame and it sucks but each S model has demolished sales records from previous generations.

aera

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Any time there is a S model, the updates are just internal. Better processor, camera, and maybe 1 other key feature. This should not be a surprise to you. Everybody says each S model is lame and it sucks but each S model has demolished sales records from previous generations.

I know that the "S" models have always been internal updates. I was just playing along with the "S" stands for _____ game.

jefftam68

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Cardfan. If it isn't something that happens instantly, then it will be thrown aside. For the thousand times a day that you look at your phone, even to just check your notifications, doing a finger print scan each and every time might turn out to be more of a pain. We'll have to see how well it's implemented. It seemed like a better idea for unlocking a laptop perhaps, but that hasn't been very successful.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm not going to act like I'm really important and stuff. But I don't like the idea of my fingerprint on any kind
of server. I have difficulty believing that it would be limited to my device.

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I will be the different one. I am excited for it.

I think a bio-metric fingerprint scanner could be very cool, and useful (could is the operative word). The ability to unlock one's device this easily would be great. In addition, if they tie it into their KeyChain feature that would be great too. Apple could even include it in mobile payments, but I have a feeling that will not be.

The "S" models are always very nice. They take the previous new generation, tweak it, fix any little issues, and will more than likely continue the trend of a faster processor, and better camera, be it the physical device itself or in software.

As for gimmicky I remember so many people thought Siri was just a gimmick, but she is growing, and getting better.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I am more excited at the hope of a 4.5- 4.7 inch screen. I use the scanner on my company issued Dell. I like it, quick and easy. Implemented correctly, it might get more people to properly secure their devices.

No interest in a fingerprint sensor whatsoever. I want my wife to be able to answer my phone if I'm driving or otherwise unable to answer it.

Implemented correctly, she should.

If I find your locked phone, if the locking scheme is done properly, I should be able to find the owner without accessing the data. That's my two criteria for this being done correctly.

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Added security is always welcome to me. And of course more speed won't hurt a thing either. I don't love iOS 7 so far, but 6 grew on me after fiddling with it. Maybe I just need to experience it in order to get it. We'll be grabbing two white ones, 16gb and 32gb, straight from the Apple store.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
How excited are you about IPhone5S with supposed finger print sensor?

Well, we don't know if it'll have it, and further, for what purpose it will be used for. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to it. Biometrics will be awesome only if it's ubiquitous enough to get rid of passwords altogether. At least another decade for that to happen, as a type of two factor authentication.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm excited about it - as long as it works - but I'm sucker for new tech. As long as it saves time to unlock my phone (I have to have a pin lock on my iPhone for work exchange server connection purposes - it forces me to have one).

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
what if thieves start cutting peoples fingers off to get around this? I'd like this feature to work because I hate using passwords. I hate typing them in and trying to remember them all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods