Resale Pricing of older device at Launch

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Always remember too that when you sell on eBay, to factor in the 9% selling fee they take, the cost to list, and the cost to ship (if you offer free shipping). You can always get by using the $5 flat rate box. Then if you are using Paypal to get your money, they take their 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. So if you are selling a phone for $500.....you are going to net about $435. Still MUCH better than anything Gazelle will offer you.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Resale Pricing At Launch

I checked with a reputable place like Gazelle and for a perfect 4S I can get $200.00 for my 4S 16GB so if the new phone I presume for the same size is the same price I break even, By a new case unless same size as the 5 and Applecare+. I think i have it pretty well worked out on what I am going to do.

I got an offer from Gazelle of $236 for mint AT&T 4S 16GB, good until October 15. The price has already dropped since then. I don't know what the eBay price will be after September 20.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Go ahead and lock in your sale rate with Gazelle now, then send it in when you get your new iPhone. That's the best way to get the most cash. Otherwise, sell it via eBay or Amazon after launch to get a better price than Gazelle can offer.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Already sold my HTC One in preparation for the new one. Using a 4 now (sigh) and cannot wait to preorder the new one. Here's to hoping the new one is 32gb at the smallest so I can save some money haha.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like some of you guys are really getting ripped off. To each his own I guess. I will continue to sell mine every year on amazon.com and not only make back the initial cost of my phone, but profit as well.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
sold my 32 gig verizon iphone 5 for 450 on craiglist. i know i probably could have gotten an extra 50-100 but i really needed to sell it so i could pre order that beautiful unseen iphone 5s.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
sold my 32 gig verizon iphone 5 for 450 on craiglist. i know i probably could have gotten an extra 50-100 but i really needed to sell it so i could pre order that beautiful unseen iphone 5s.

That's still a pretty good price though. You didn't pay anywhere near that much when you initially bought the phone unless you went the unsubsidized route.
Some people are selling theirs for far less than that. I would say you made out pretty good.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
i would say so :) bought it for about 328 with new contract last month :p adding a new line just to get this phone so ive been phoneless for a while not to bad since i have a laptop and internet at home my phone withdrawals havent been to bad.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Since I started this thread I thought I would follow-up on how things went. I sold my iPhone 5 today on eBay for $456. I was hoping for a little more than that but I am satisfied with how things worked out. Retail price on my new 32 GB iPhone 5s was $750 so I am out about $300, which is the same price it would have cost me to get a 32 GB iPhone 5s with a subsidized 2 year contract. Essentially I broke even and I still have unlimited Verizon LTE data because I did not sign another contract. My plan is to repeat this process again next year when the iPhone 6 is released.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You should sell your iPhone 5 QUICKLY...as in, before the 5S stock plateaus and on hand devices are leveled out to where people can just walk into the store...there's a few reasons for this:

- 4S owners who are moving to a new device are now heavily considering just getting the iPhone 5 because of the chaotic nature of trying to get a 5S, so there's still a bit of a premium to be had there.

- As crazy as it sounds, some people don't even realize that a new replacement for the 5 is out! So the iPhone 5 is still drawing on that for sales as well. People see the price drop, don't really understand why and don't care, they jump on these deals thinking they're getting the latest and greatest for really cheap.

- Many people who bought the 5S are going to have buyers remorse, especially ones that came from the iPhone 5. They'll jump on the hype of this lack of supply, and sell their 5S to go back to the iPhone 5.

...these factors are not going to be around very long, and as soon as the 5S starts being readily available in stores, you're going to have a tough time getting good value on the iPhone 5. Where you can still easily get $400+ now, i would imagine in a few weeks, you'll see prices no higher than $300-$350 for the 16GB iPhone 5.

**EDIT - Just saw you sold your phone for a decent price...but the above information is still valuable to someone, so I'll leave it be. :beer:

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You should sell your iPhone 5 QUICKLY...as in, before the 5S stock plateaus and on hand devices are leveled out to where people can just walk into the store...there's a few reasons for this:

- 4S owners who are moving to a new device are now heavily considering just getting the iPhone 5 because of the chaotic nature of trying to get a 5S, so there's still a bit of a premium to be had there.

- Many people who bought the 5S are going to have buyers remorse, especially ones that came from the iPhone 5. They'll jump on the hype of this lack of supply, and sell their 5S to go back to the iPhone 5.

These points do not make any sense.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
No, they do make sense...

I'm trying to sell my unlocked Verizon white 16GB WITH an unused Otterbox case for $350 and I only got a few bites on craigslist.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
No, they do make sense...

I'm trying to sell my unlocked Verizon white 16GB WITH an unused Otterbox case for $350 and I only got a few bites on craigslist.

Try selling it on Amazon. My 64GB 4s sold last year on Amazon a mere 12 hours after putting it up for sale. I purchased it 6 months before that from Verizon for $399.00 w/ 2 year contract.
It sold on Amazon.com for $440 and I turned right around and purchased a new 64GB iPhone 5 for $399.00 w/ 2 year contract. In essence, I got a 'free' iPhone 5.
One month ago I placed that same iPhone 5 on Amazon for $600 and it sold about a week later.
Once again I turned around and used that profit to purchase the latest iPhone. I am thoroughly enjoying my 'free' iPhone 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I traded my 4S in at Apple as I didn't want to go through the process of selling to the highest bidder. It was time for my upgrade anyway. I paid $29 plus tax for my 5S. I was happy with that!

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I traded my 4S in at Apple as I didn't want to go through the process of selling to the highest bidder. It was time for my upgrade anyway. I paid $29 plus tax for my 5S. I was happy with that!

To each his own my friend. I desire to get the latest iPhone for 'free' on top of making profit which I used to buy cases/accessories etc. Whatever makes you happy at the end of the day is what's important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
These points do not make any sense.

I wasn't talking about not making sense to sell your older model sooner than later. I was saying the two reasons I quoted make no sense. 4S owners are not going to buy 5c instead of a 5s because of supply issues. They are buying a 5c because they want one and/or the price is better for them. The majority will upgrade to an S even if they have to wait a week or two. I also don't see buyers remorse being an issue of people buying the S even if they came from the 5. Yeah it may happen but it will be a small portion of people. People who upgrade every year are people who upgrade every year without remorse.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't talking about not making sense to sell your older model sooner than later. I was saying the two reasons I quoted make no sense. 4S owners are not going to buy 5c instead of a 5s because of supply issues. They are buying a 5c because they want one and/or the price is better for them. The majority will upgrade to an S even if they have to wait a week or two. I also don't see buyers remorse being an issue of people buying the S even if they came from the 5. Yeah it may happen but it will be a small portion of people. People who upgrade every year are people who upgrade every year without remorse.

You did not clearly read my post, and because of such, your comments are a bit irrelevant...I'll clarify...

- I never said 4S owners would buy the "5c", in fact, the device was never brought up by me at all...what I said was that 4S owners will see the drop in pricing on the regular iPhone 5 on the private market, and because of the stock depletion in the stores, many will walk away from the 5S and turn back to the private market to buy an iPhone 5 at a cheaper price simply because of a saturation of availability. This really has nothing to do with a preference really, it just has to do with the fact that there will (for the time being) be a lot of 4S owners yearning for an upgrade of any sort, and because of the shortage of iPhone 5S stock, will focus their efforts on private market iPhone 5's that are substantially cheaper (over 50% cheaper AND off contract).

- My comment about 5S buyers remorse never mentioned a specific quantity, it just said "many", and it's an absolute fact that many will...they'll realize that it isn't the right phone for them, they'll be out of their return window, and they'll put the phone on the private market and will sell it essentially NEW (since it will be less than a few weeks old) and will have to come off of pricing because the stores will have new models readily available by that point, and the astounding pricing you see now will have leveled out and actually dropped below the retail cost, and you will be able to get a perfect condition iPhone 5S for under the full retail asking price. I've already seen a couple here in Atlanta on Craigslist, one going for $600 (space grey AT&T 16GB model) and one Silver model (32GB) going for $725...both were sold rather quickly, but they were out there.

One problem you kept having in your post as well is the use of the word "majority"...I wasn't talking about the majority of anything, and I clearly understand how the majority of the market will work. My post was talking about a temporary situation of iPhone 5 private market demand vs. shortage of 5S stock and the eventual leveling off of demand/quantity. The suggestion of dumping off iPhone 5's on the private market now has nothing to do with any majority, it has to do with taking advantage of a unique situation where a a top end phone is not readily available, and value still exists at a higher level for a used iPhone 5 for a short period of time.

...lastly, your issue was really just reading comprehension, as you didn't clearly read the first point about the regular iPhone 5 on the private market, and then you assumed when I said "many people will have buyers remorse" that I was saying "a lot" of people would. You actually said yourself that a small portion of people would, and in this case, the terms "many" and "small portion" could be identical in specific quantity, many was used in a general sense...just like saying "Many people will die today."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW