I'm certainly not totally up to speed on all the rumors with the "5S" or whatever it will be called. I was baffled that Verizon released the 5 without simultaneous voice and data when that is such a ubiquitous feature on competitor brands. Anyone know of rumors regarding whether or not this new model will have whatever technology is required to perform this task?
    08-11-2013 10:44 PM
    I'm certainly not totally up to speed on all the rumors with the "5S" or whatever it will be called. I was baffled that Verizon released the 5 without simultaneous voice and data when that is such a ubiquitous feature on competitor brands. Anyone know of rumors regarding whether or not this new model will have whatever technology is required to perform this task?
    Remains to be seen... it will be a moot point when Verizon adopts VoLTE - Allegedly that will come in 2014 sometime.
    08-11-2013 10:52 PM
    There's not really anything they can do until they adopt new standards. CDMA doesn't allow for simultaneous voice and data (meaning Sprint and Verizon) except while on wifi.
    08-12-2013 03:01 AM
    It's a network thing not a phone hardware issue

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    08-12-2013 03:54 AM
    Actually, SVDO can be supported on CDMA. The hardware in the S3 allows for it on both 3G and LTE. The hardware on the Note 2 only supports LTE. I remember having it on Verizon clear back on my HTC Thunderbolt. It remains to be seen on the next iPhone.
    08-12-2013 06:35 AM
    Actually, SVDO can be supported on CDMA. The hardware in the S3 allows for it on both 3G and LTE. The hardware on the Note 2 only supports LTE. I remember having it on Verizon clear back on my HTC Thunderbolt. It remains to be seen on the next iPhone.
    finn are you still on Verizon? If so do you still have your unlimited data?
    08-12-2013 08:03 AM
    finn are you still on Verizon? If so do you still have your unlimited data?
    Hey swarlos yes I am and yes I do. I saw your posts in the other thread about possibly losing your unlimited data if you use your upgrade and I can sympathise with that. I bought my wife's 16GB 5 and my 64GB 5 both out of contract to keep unlimited. It was a hefty price tag even after selling her 4 and my 4S. I'll be using my mom's line (she's 81 and uses a flip) to get the 5S but I'll be back to buying outright with the 6.
    08-12-2013 08:11 AM
    Hey swarlos yes I am and yes I do. I saw your posts in the other thread about possibly losing your unlimited data if you use your upgrade and I can sympathise with that. I bought my wife's 16GB 5 and my 64GB 5 both out of contract to keep unlimited. It was a hefty price tag even after selling her 4 and my 4S. I'll be using my mom's line (she's 81 and uses a flip) to get the 5S but I'll be back to buying outright with the 6.
    Ok cool cause I was thinking of going back to AT&T but hate the idea of losing my unlimited data. I will be getting AT&T U-Verse and will be receiving a $200 reward card but could get $300 if I set up wireless service. So that's tempting me to switch LOL.

I will of course be selling my 5 so if I can get 500-600 for my 5 then the 200 reward card new 5S paid or if switched to AT&T the reward card would pay for the upgrade then I would have a good profit. Ack what to do?!

Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    08-12-2013 08:16 AM
    Ok cool cause I was thinking of going back to AT&T but hate the idea of losing my unlimited data. I will be getting AT&T U-Verse and will be receiving a $200 reward card but could get $300 if I set up wireless service. So that's tempting me to switch LOL.

I will of course be selling my 5 so if I can get 500-600 for my 5 then the 200 reward card new 5S paid or if switched to AT&T the reward card would pay for the upgrade then I would have a good profit. Ack what to do?!

The nice thing is you have choices. I made the switch to Verizon because I have a long commute to work and it, at the time, offered much better coverage than ATT. But now ATT has caught up with Verizon in my area. If I was an android user I'd be far more tempted to switch back to ATT despite losing unlimited data because Verizon is THE WORST when it comes to skipping on flagship phones, delaying their release, being the last to release, etc. But since the iphone is same day release on all carriers I can avoid that mess. Best of luck in your decision. Until I decide that I dont care about streaming music while not on wifi, I have to hold on to my unlimited. If Verizon ever takes it away from me, I'll be heading back to ATT.
    08-12-2013 08:22 AM
    The nice thing is you have choices. I made the switch to Verizon because I have a long commute to work and it, at the time, offered much better coverage than ATT. But now ATT has caught up with Verizon in my area. If I was an android user I'd be far more tempted to switch back to ATT despite losing unlimited data because Verizon is THE WORST when it comes to skipping on flagship phones, delaying their release, being the last to release, etc. But since the iphone is same day release on all carriers I can avoid that mess. Best of luck in your decision. Until I decide that I dont care about streaming music while not on wifi, I have to hold on to my unlimited. If Verizon ever takes it away from me, I'll be heading back to ATT.
    Thanks and same here most of my data usage comes from streaming with Match and using iTunes Radio while driving.

08-12-2013 08:31 AM
    Like you, I switched to Verizon because AT&T hadn't really caught up. Now they have in my area at least along with LTE. If coverage is mostly equal, I prefer AT&T. Even for iphone only, it offers more just being GSM such as voice and data at same time, better 3 way calling, etc. Plus I had a lot of issues with time changes, dropped calls, and just losing signal at random with Verizon. Verizon's LTE seems to have slowed down a lot.

I'm looking to switch but it's just a matter of when I feel like it. The 5S would give me a reason to go through the hassle of switching back. There's also that verizon ipad mini I'd have to get rid of unless I just threw an AT&T SIM in it.
    08-12-2013 08:38 AM
    Funny thing happen I used my wife upgrade for my sisters line wife has unlimited on iPhone 5 .. Sis had a 4 but on a 2 gig plan .. They said wife will loose unlimited blah blah .. I said ok and sucked it up and did it anyways .. Funny thing is this was 4 months ago and wife still has unlimited right now on her 5 and sis still 2gb on her 5 now lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    08-13-2013 03:48 AM
    That was my understanding as well. I was also under the impression that many of Verizon's newer smartphones actually do simultaneous voice and data, though perhaps they have something hardware wise that the iPhone does not? I didn't think it would be an issue when I switched from my AT&T iPhone 3GS to a Verizon iPhone 4 but I routinely find myself wishing I could check email while on a call. It will be nice to have this feature again at some point.
    08-14-2013 12:09 AM
    I had the s3 and thunderbolt which both had these features. Currently im on the note 2 and looking to go to the 5s hopefully it has it on Verizon if not then I will settle on the 5 just getting tired of the android platform in general

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    08-14-2013 04:56 AM
    That was my understanding as well. I was also under the impression that many of Verizon's newer smartphones actually do simultaneous voice and data, though perhaps they have something hardware wise that the iPhone does not? I didn't think it would be an issue when I switched from my AT&T iPhone 3GS to a Verizon iPhone 4 but I routinely find myself wishing I could check email while on a call. It will be nice to have this feature again at some point.
    My HTC Rezound that I bought almost two years ago does simultaneous voice and data on Verizon. But I think you are right in that it has multiple radios built in to accomplish this. It's nice to be on a call on speakerphone and look up info at the same time.

Sent from somewhere
    08-14-2013 07:04 AM