Based on the current rumors, will you be upgrading to the proposed Iphone 5S?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps my reason for this thread is to curb some of my impatience as I wait to see Apple take the stage come, hopefully, September. And while it's a given that until the powers at be take the stage, we will not know exactly what the final product will comprise of, we have enough consistent tidbits out there to piece together a general idea:
- Nearly exact same physical appearance as the 5
- Faster A7 processor (this one is back in the news today due to coding in IOS 7)
- 2GB Ram
- 12mp isight camera with slow motion video recording capability
- NFC (not as consistent on this one)
- Fingerprint reader

In other words, without knowing any concrete details, it appears the 5S will be another incremental upgrade....which history would prove to be likely. Is that enough for you? Particularly if you have the iphone 5 now? With the myriad of compelling choices outside of the IOS realm? I am just curious your intentions and why. Merely for discussion sake and no other reason to be honest.

I will likely get the 5S. I have tried all of the recent android flagships and it's just not for me. I currently have the 5, but I like having the current offering. With that said, this may be the least excited I have been to date in getting the newest iphone :(

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I absolutely will upgrade. I have upgrades to burn... and I can always sell/pass down my iPhone 5... It’s just how I roll.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I absolutely will upgrade. I have upgrades to burn... and I can always sell/pass down my iPhone 5... It’s just how I roll.

I am in that same situation. I will sell my 5 to help pay for the 5S and then do the same come the 6 :) I already find the 5 to be very fast and efficient so any improvement can only be icing on the cake. I use the camera more than some/most, so an improvement there will make me happy as well. If there is one thing I do wish for but haven't seen mentioned, it would be to have a 128GB option. I am one of the few who would benefit. But I don't see that happening.

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I still have the iPhone 4 - so I would like to upgrade to the 5S. But this iPhone 4 works flawlessly. It's been the best smartphone I've ever owned.

Perhaps I will wait until the iPhone 6. I have an upgrade in Oct .... So I could get the 5S.

The main reason I would even upgrade is for VZW LTE.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what the iPhone 5s has to offer. I like the idea of a fingerprint scanner, so long as it acts as an authentication method for mobile payments. Of course a better camera and video recording will be welcomed.

What I am surprised at is the lack of leaks for the 5S. I think that has to do with the budget iPhone (5C or whatever), and how the parts are so similar. Maybe we will see more leaks once production ramps up.

I personally would like a bigger iPhone. I am definitely going to try out the HTC One in store if it ever hits VZW, but I doubt I would get it. I would love if the "one more thing" was an iPhone Pro with a bigger display. I guess I'm just not willing to give up the ecosystem for a bigger device at this time (though I ponder it from time to time).

Looking forward to the 5S release, the upcoming leaks, the initial reviews, and this forums ramblings on how iOS7 and the iPhone 5s work.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a upgrade now but may save it for next year. Nothing there is telling me I need to jump. I'll decide for sure after the Keynote.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Always do I have a upgrades and I always pass down my phone or sell it for more than my upgrade cost.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No. I have no plans to upgrade to the next iPhone based on the specs you mentioned. My current iPhone 5 is more than plenty, and as I've stated in another thread, my attention is on iOS 7.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if I'm going to get the 5S or not at this point. With iPhones in the past I have always been in a hurry to get the newest one, however, I am really satisfied with my iPhone 5 and with iOS 7 coming out it will be even better. I am going to take the sit back and wait approach this year. Since I don't want to use my early upgrade on the AT&T locked 5S I might just purchase the unlocked version direct from Apple this time around.

KarmelVixen

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure yet, but more than likely I'll be buying it when it drops. Hopefully its the same size so I don't have to start buying cute cases all over again. That's my biggest fear..lol

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 4S less than a year and it does everything I want it to. I have another upgrade available in November. I'll probably upgrade when I can afford it. Might even be next spring, then I'll give my 4S to my wife.

tiffj

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably upgrade just because I can. I left Sprint for Tmobile in June and then they announced their sweet little JUMP program so I can upgrade twice a year if i trade in the current phone that I have. Can't beat that and no contract. I'm already running ios 7 on my iphone 5 so it isn't really necessary for me to upgrade but the fact that I can without the hassle of Craigslist now is appealing. I do like the sound of the fingerprint reader and the slow motion camera though. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the final product turns out to be.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the 5S will be a great device, but I just bought my iPhone 5 last week (under contract with Verizon), so I won't be seriously looking at upgrading until 2015. Thankfully, these iPhones have staying power and I'm hopeful mine will keep me happy over the next couple years. I consider my 5 to be the best smartphone I've ever owned. I've owned Android and Windows Phone in the past and this is my first iPhone. I wish I had gotten one sooner.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
In the past, AT&T handed out annual full upgrade pricing. It was a nobrainer to upgrade no matter what the proposed new iphone was.

That's not the case this year with Verizon ( I switched last year). So does the iphone 5S make sense to blow a couple of hundred on after selling the iphone 5? Not to me.. I'll probably spend my off year upgrading other things. Maybe look at a Mac.

That said, if you have a full upgrade available from your carrier, use it. Take your subsidy asap unless a new device is literally around the corner.

aera

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
In the past, AT&T handed out annual full upgrade pricing. It was a nobrainer to upgrade no matter what the proposed new iphone was.

That's not the case this year with Verizon ( I switched last year). So does the iphone 5S make sense to blow a couple of hundred on after selling the iphone 5? Not to me.. I'll probably spend my off year upgrading other things. Maybe look at a Mac.

That said, if you have a full upgrade available from your carrier, use it. Take your subsidy asap unless a new device is literally around the corner.

AT&T has stopped those full upgrades annually. Last one I received was when I went from 4 to 4S. When the 5 released I was offered a "partial" upgrade which if I remember correctly only knocked $100 off full retail.

Luckily though I have been using the best buy trade in program every year and they offer decent amount for used iPhones. Last year for instance they gave me $355 best buy gift card for my 4S, AT&T "partial" upgrade price of a 16GB 5 was $529 so I eneded up paying $174 ($20 less than new contract/full upgrade). If I can get the same deal this year then I most certainly will upgrade.