iPhone 5s with dual-LED flash, slightly bigger battery spied in blurry rumor-gr

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5S with dual-LED flash, slightly bigger battery spied in blurry rumor-gr

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1371808219.232263.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1371808226.726608.jpgDid you back out of an iPhone 5 because it didn't have a dual-LED flash? If this leaked image from MacRumors turns out to be real, that may not be a problem for much longer. Inside and out, these blurrycam snaps purport to show an iPhone 5s which is nearly identical to its predecessor -- the only obvious differences being a slightly larger 5.92 Whr battery and the aforementioned dual-LED flash. Given that the internal layout is consistent with the iPhone 5 (pictured, after the break) and we were expecting an incremental revision this year, we're marking this one down as "plausible."

iSeans

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5S with dual-LED flash, slightly bigger battery spied in blurry rumor-gr

This will be my new Phone. I'm very good at managing my expectations so I'm expecting a refined spec bump and no redesign.

Can't wait :)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5S with dual-LED flash, slightly bigger battery spied in blurry rumor-gr

I love the rumor mill, but this one might actually be close to a solid prediction.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The flash is still going to suck...the LED's in it are just not going to perform like a proper flash unless you're right on something taking a picture. I hope they give some more hardware focused improvements that give better low light performance without the flash.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

The flash is still going to suck...the LED's in it are just not going to perform like a proper flash unless you're right on something taking a picture. I hope they give some more hardware focused improvements that give better low light performance without the flash.

Well the dual flash will help the pictures a lot in the dark I hope the 5s has better low light so they can kill those windows Nokia phones

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

How about a front shot ? A shot with the new 4.7" screen and no home button. ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Well the dual flash will help the pictures a lot in the dark I hope the 5s has better low light so they can kill those windows Nokia phones

It's not going to help substantially at all...the way the light disperses from these kinds of LEDs on this (or any "phone") setup. It's not going to make a major difference...also, the Lumia 920 doesn't rely on its flash setup for low light efficiency.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

It's not going to help substantially at all...the way the light disperses from these kinds of LEDs on this (or any "phone") setup. It's not going to make a major difference...also, the Lumia 920 doesn't rely on its flash setup for low light efficiency.

That one led light on the 5 worked really well for pictures in the dark it's just people get scared of it when taking pics lol so I'm more than positive its going to work know with no flash for low light pics apple will update the camera for that

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

That one led light on the 5 worked really well for pictures in the dark it's just people get scared of it when taking pics lol so I'm more than positive its going to work know with no flash for low light pics apple will update the camera for that

Umm these LEDs will still do nothing really. They will help for close up but that's it. Think like a normal point and shot camera. In the dark their flashes only work for 5-10 ft away at best. Low light has to do with optics and sensors. I don't see a phone camera ever taking the place of a point and shoot at night.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Nothing about the flash on the iPhone 5 (or any smart phone, including the Lumia 920) works "really well", they can't...the design and the type of LED's used in them are essentially there to say they have them, and in the end, unless you're right up on something, or you have a highly reflective surface you are taking a picture of in the dark, the flash is pointless outside of dispersing a little trickle of light on lighter colored objects.

Low light photography is going to rely on an update and improvement on the hardware itself, but also the software. A true ISO setting on the phone (not these "auto ISO" features you see from apps like ProCam and the like), a stabilized exposure adjustment and also a noise filter (since this is one of the big problems on camera phones).

And in the end, you have to understand that all of this function is going to come at a price...mainly weight and chassis expansion with the phone, this is why the Lumia 920 weighs so much more than the iPhone 5, and why it had to be on the larger side (screen spec wise), you have to have the room to fit this stuff in there. These are still essentially just point and shoot cameras, and there is really only so much you can do with such. Thankfully, unlike point and shoot cameras, software can be a bit more elaborate, and that is where they'll have to focus their efforts...hardware is not going to bring a legitimate flash setup EVER, simply because of how it has to be built to fit onto a smart phone.

You want to know why some of the best cameras on the market (including the Canon 5D and 7D's) don't come with a flash built into their body? It's because it's pointless, a proper flash is an external attachment that would make most cameras a bit awkward to handle, much less a smart phone!

What you'll have now is a better flashlight on the back of the phone...and little more, lol.

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

99% of my iphone pics use no flash, I'm sure a better flash wont change that.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1372182080.999852.jpg

There?s no doubt about it by now: Apple is making an iPhone 5s. Even before today?s leak we?d seen all kinds of parts, both individually and assembled. If none of them fit together or showed contradictions I?d be way more cautious, but so far, everything is lining up quite nicely.

The latest leak allegedly shows two fully assembled front panels (including displays) on a production line and was published by serial leakers, Weibo.com. While the picture may be small, if you check the flex connector poking out from the top, you?ll see the two connection points set at 90-degrees to each other, as all previous leaks have shown. What it shows is that Cupertino has pushed the big red button on at least one part of manufacturing, and display units are ramping up ready for final phase assembly a little later this summer.

As well as redesigned circuit boards and internal components we?re also expecting a new generation of chips to be powering the iPhone 5s. And, intriguingly, the dual-LED flash on the back appears to have two different color lights, perhaps for white balancing in varying light, or maybe red-eye reduction.

Bottom line: Apple is definitely working on something, and in the months and weeks leading up to the next iPhone?s launch, we?ll almost certainly see an increase in leaks and rumors as the picture of Apple?s next popular device becomes clearer.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1372182071.949957.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1372182071.949957.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 143

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

is it just me, or does it look marginally wider?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

is it just me, or does it look marginally wider?

It certainly does, but i think it may just be the angle in which the picture was taken. The main thing I noticed aside from that was the home button cut out (or lack there of).

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I would love for it to be just a touch wider. One of the reasons I skipped the 5 was that it felt out of balance to me, too long and narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I would love for it to be just a touch wider. One of the reasons I skipped the 5 was that it felt out of balance to me, too long and narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If history says anything at all, the next iPhone ("5S"?) will have the same form factor as the 5. Apple changes the design/form factor every two years...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234