Any idea if 64GB will be the max space?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I guess "idea" is the wrong word. Any THOUGHTS on this?
I have probably no real need for more than 32 even, but I am curious if anyone thinks they'll go with 128 or even more for the newer iterations of the iPhone coming out.

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
iPad is potentially a better market for a 128GB option, I'd dread to think how expensive a 128GB iPhone could be!

That said, this is Apple. If they can make it, they can probably sell it :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
With the 128GB option on the table with the iPad, i could potentially see that being added to the iPhone (depending on the size of the flash memory, I've never actually seen it on it's own compared to the size it would need to be to fit in the iPhone's chassis. I doubt anyone would sacrifice size and weight for said memory size though...the cost would probably just be routinely the same, following in the same incremental increase we see now amongst the iPhone's.

That said, i can't imagine anyone buying it, especially looking at the 64GB model sales numbers after every release...the market is so shallow for such a huge model.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The reason I ask really is that with the assumed increase in camera quality, and the assumed use of camera phone over real camera....the additional space to hold the photos would be ideal. I am definitely getting the 64GB next time even though Im not anywhere near capacity on 32, simply to have the room for additional photos available (I do use dropbox--paid as backup) though. But I'd be curious if the 128 option was around, would it sell, bec I might possibly consider it myself.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I think that is way to much memory for a phone specially like I think my next iPhone I will get 32gb max don't need all the extra memory.. I would understand if it's for an iPad but I think 64gb for a phone is over the top and now ppl thinking of 128? Haven't ppl heard of backing up and saving files on their comp if you run out of memory.. And don't ppl feel their phone is cluttered if there so much files and apps on it

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt it. I would almost say absolutely not. The demand for the 64 GB version is very low. I don't think they will up capacity when demand for the biggest thing now is low. They do it on the iPad because people use those to replace computers. The iPhone is not a computer replacement, Apple sees it as a necessary compliment.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

alicepattinson

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Apple has lots of surprises so I wouldn't doubt that they will have a 128GB memory. 32GB is even enough for me, 128 is such a laaaaaaarge memory. Whew! :rolleyes:

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think that is way to much memory for a phone specially like I think my next iPhone I will get 32gb max don't need all the extra memory.. I would understand if it's for an iPad but I think 64gb for a phone is over the top and now ppl thinking of 128? Haven't ppl heard of backing up and saving files on their comp if you run out of memory.. And don't ppl feel their phone is cluttered if there so much files and apps on it
The GB is referring to hard drive space- not memory.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Not everyone backs their stuff up, sadly.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The GB is referring to hard drive space- not memory.

Actually...if you want to get technical about it, the hard drive space and RAM are both modes of "memory", the HDD (and more modern high storage SSD) is just a much slower and inefficient way to work when written to quickly, so RAM is used to speed up this process, making it possible to work more swiftly and using the slower hard disc for storage purposes (especially considering the RAM is useless without power flowing to it). So before you correct him on what memory is, take a step back and realize that they serve nearly identical core services, just in very different forms for very different functions.

Also, it was very clear he got the gist of the discussion anyways, he was just not using the more commonly referenced term of "storage".

svfd757

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine that the reason demand for the 64gig is so low is because the price is so high. According to Moore's law of computing the amount of transistors on circuit board doubles every two years while maintaining about the same cost. With this in mind we should soon see the price of a 64gig iPhone drop to the price of the current 32gig while the 128gig version replaces the 64gig price point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Give us a SDHC card slot, for the love of Pete....

People know what Sd cards are - they use them in cameras an various other devices. But Apple won't. Because, they want you to spend that big money on the 64, or the 128, whatever the big dog is... It's all about controlling the experience..., and apparently, extra storage that YOU can control, alters the experience in a way that Apple deems inappropriate or in conflict with the iOS experience. Which is BS, BTW....

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Give us a SDHC card slot, for the love of Pete....

People know what Sd cards are - they use them in cameras an various other devices. But Apple won't. Because, they want you to spend that big money on the 64, or the 128, whatever the big dog is... It's all about controlling the experience..., and apparently, extra storage that YOU can control, alters the experience in a way that Apple deems inappropriate or in conflict with the iOS experience. Which is BS, BTW....

Actually, they don't use SD cards for a number of reasons. One major reason is that iOS was designed to work on a single, unified system of memory. Having a removable card would require a massive reworking of the entire iOS file system. Another reason is the size of the sd reader. This would take up additional space that they need for battery. Adding more flash memory internally doesn't take up any additional space since all the memory modules can fit into the allotted space. Another reason is design. Having an SD card slot on the side of the phone would take away from the experience of the device. They only have the sim slot because its absolutely necessary.

When you are buying a device, you should assess your needs and get the appropriate size. It's not different than buying an SD card. You wouldn't buy an 8 GB card when you knew you needed 32. Same goes for the phone.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't necessarily need an SD slot. I don't care either way. I've had phones that had them, didn't matter one way or the other to me.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't see Apple adding an SD slot to the iPhone anytime soon, but I don't think 128GB is out of the question in future iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711