iPhone for work: Get the 5 or wait for the 5S?

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

My work just started issuing out iPhones. I am using a BB Curve 9360 and am really looking forward to an upgrade for which I am due in mid April. Should I get the iPhone 5 next month or wait until Aug/Sept for the 5S?

It will be used for work as well as my main device. I won't be jailbreaking it. It will be my first iPhone. I'm split between getting a nice device next month or holding out another ~6 months for a more future proof device. Would the possible LTE and better camera/proc be worth waiting?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When the iPhone 5 was released, I was so satisfied with my 4S to where, in hindsight, I didn't give it a truly fair assessment. I knew the device was better, faster, more elegant & lighter, but it didn't matter at the time. When this year began, I made up my mind to wait for the next released iPhone because I felt that it was foolish for me to buy last year's model when this year's model is only months away. At the same time, I am still satisfied with my 4S. Why? What is it about the 4S that I enjoy so much to where I was willing to forgo the iPhone 5 when, in fact, the iPhone 5 is better and newer? I didn't care about any of the specs associated with the iPhone 5 because my 4S was great in every way to me. That fact slapped me in the face and I knew that I would feel the same way if I opted to get the iPhone 5 even though the 5S or whatever it will be called is only months away. Well, I ordered the iPhone 5 and it will be here tomorrow. Will I regret not waiting for the 5S? I doubt it, but I can't say for sure. What I can say for certain is this: I am glad I purchased the iPhone 5 and when it arrives tomorrow, I will enjoy it just like I currently enjoy my 4S.

Last edited:

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The iphone 5 already has LTE. That will also be the case for the iphone 5s. No doubt the iphone 5s will have a improved camera and more mega pixels but to be honest the iphone 5 camera is a fantastic camera. Upgrading from your current phone will be a big leap wether you choose 5 or 5s. There's so many rumours going around at the moment it's hard to say if the next iteration of iphone will be worth the wait or not.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The iphone 5 already has LTE.

That just goes to show how much of a noob I am when it comes to the iPhone. For some reason I thought the 5 didn't have LTE, just doubled HSPA+ speeds - but I guess that was the 4S.

I guess I can think of my question like this: Do I want to be on a "S" upgrade cycle or a non-"S" upgrade cycle. Non-S usually gets new form factors and is possibly more exciting, S probably has better perfected build quality and iterative improvements.

Now that I learned the 5 comes with LTE, I will probably just get the 5 in April.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the iPhone 5 its a fantastic bit of kit. I made the big mistake of purchasing an iPhone 3GS 2 weeks prior to the iPhone 4 release. At the time I had never owned or knew anything about iPhones. Looking back if I had known just how much I would love my iPhone and noticing the iPhone 4 was a big leap forward from the 3GS I would have waited.

My contract ended summer last year and I had to make the decision to upgrade to the iPhone 4S and be 3 generations behind again when my renewal was available or wait a few months for the iPhone 5. I decided to wait until the iPhone 5 was announced and was so happy that I waited for the latest iPhone. Upgrading from the 3GS was massive. Retina display, larger screen, Siri, speedy CPU, graphics, FaceTime, loads better camera with flash, quicker 3G, location reminders. I think you get the point. I got the iPhone 5 on release day and was blown away with all the features that my 3GS did not have.

Looking back if I had the iPhone 4 I don't think the 4s was significant upgrade apart from Siri. I personally believe the iPhone 5 would be save bet and you will love it considering your gaining a lot more than what your current phone can offer.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
IMO get the iPhone 5, but I am no the one buying it. If you have the funds now, then upgrade. If you want to hold on for a little while longer and see what Apple brings, then go for it.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe its just me but I like get a "new" device, and for it to stay that way for a while.

To be honest, the 'S' line never interested me. At this point I would wait for the iphone 6. As this is unlikely something you are willing to do, I would wait for the 5S. The 9360 is a decent device and, unless it is damaged, should see you through to the 5S.

sandy the game

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
its look like my story today i am going to sell my bb9900 and buying iphone 5 in my understanding why to wait i know in some month 5s will be release but after some month 6 will be coming so this will be going on, so don't wait just go and buy this beautiful beast :eek:

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I came from the BB Torch 9800 to the iP5. I have absolutely loved this device. While the rumor mill is abounding with little enticements to wait and see what Apple might bring, the simple fact is you have to make a decision on what you know today. I use the iP5 for work and have not been disappointed. I don't think you will be disappointed either. Inevitably there will be improvements to an "S" model but the form factor will likely stay the same and Apple is pretty good about giving the previous gen iPhone some of the OS improvements as well. IMO, the risk is small...but that's me... Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Typically upgrades take about 18 months on carriers at least. Get one now and you'll be ready the latter part of next year for the 6. No matter what the 5S has, you won't see much of a speed bump when the 5 is already more than capable.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
When the iPhone 5 was released, I was so satisfied with my 4S to where, in hindsight, I didn't give it a truly fair assessment. I knew the device was better, faster, more elegant & lighter, but it didn't matter at the time. When this year began, I made up my mind to wait for the next release iPhone because I felt that it was foolish for me to buy last year's model when this year's model is only months away. At the same time, I am still satisfied with my 4S. Why? What is it about the 4S that I enjoy so much to where I was willing to forgo the iPhone 5 when in fact, the iPhone 5 is better and newer? I didn't care any of the specs associated with the iPhone 5 because my 4S was great in every way to me. That fact slapped me in the face and I knew that I would feel the same way if I opted to get the iPhone 5 even though the 5S or whatever it will be called is only months away. Well, I ordered the iPhone 5 and it will be here tomorrow. Will I regret not waiting for the 5S? I doubt it, but I can't say for sure. What I can say for certain is this: I am glad I purchased the iPhone 5 and when it arrives tomorrow, I will enjoy it just like I currently enjoy my 4S.

Wow, I missed this earlier. You were pretty adamant about not upgrading. To be honest, what prompted me upgrading was switching to Verizon. The 4S was great and has a lot more compatibility with accessories. The one thing I haven't been happy about is the Lightning connector and everything associated with it. I think you'll find most of the experience is the same with the main change being much faster data if you're on Verizon.

TejasBH

Banned
Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Wait up for the iPhone 5s.. I'm doing the same.. Once you get the iPhone 5.. You'll be telling everyone not to upgrade because it's senseless.. and if you do get the iPhone 5s.. the upgrade will just make a lot of sense to you.. It's going to have a better display.. better battery.. faster processor.. all the perks just are way better than iPhone 5..

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Wait up for the iPhone 5s.. I'm doing the same.. Once you get the iPhone 5.. You'll be telling everyone not to upgrade because it's senseless.. and if you do get the iPhone 5s.. the upgrade will just make a lot of sense to you.. It's going to have a better display.. better battery.. faster processor.. all the perks just are way better than iPhone 5..

What makes you think it will have a better display? If they stick to their routine the display will be the same, right?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I missed this earlier. You were pretty adamant about not upgrading. To be honest, what prompted me upgrading was switching to Verizon. The 4S was great and has a lot more compatibility with accessories. The one thing I haven't been happy about is the Lightning connector and everything associated with it. I think you'll find most of the experience is the same with the main change being much faster data if you're on Verizon.

Your right, CARDFAN. I was adamant about being content with the 4S and I truly was, but now that I've made the switch, I can't deny the speed & fluidity of the iPhone 5. It is a better device. Anyway, I am on the Verizon network and the speed of LTE is mind blowing for sure. Unbelievable. As for the lightning connector, I simply view it in the same manner as the previous connector in that I only use it for charging purposes for for connecting to iTunes for backup and app transfer purposes. Anyway, thanks for the reply and have a great day...;)

Last edited:

TejasBH

Banned
Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
What makes you think it will have a better display? If they stick to their routine the display will be the same, right?

I doubt they will stick to their routine! Unless they wanna flop out the market!! Even a BlackBerry has a better screen than the iPhone 5 rofl

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I doubt they will stick to their routine! Unless they wanna flop out the market!! Even a BlackBerry has a better screen than the iPhone 5 rofl

I guess I would like some clarification on what "better" means. Are you suggesting a form factor change to a bigger screen or just saying they are going to make the stunning visual of the screen even better with a denser pixel count or something like that? And then with that being said...You sound pretty sure of your prediction. Is there a crystal ball in this scenario somewhere? ;-)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I jumped in and got the iP5 a couple of weeks ago, and will be likely trading it in when the iP5S comes out this fall since I have other upgrades available. Either one will do the job quite well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It really just comes down to how badly you want a new phone now...it's always a better idea to get the newest version for a few reasons (new features, better resale, etc), but you could be waiting another 6 months, which (if you're anything like me) seems like an eternity when you're wanting a new device.

The iPhone 5 is a fantastic phone, and it'll stay relevant for many years to come...and i highly doubt the next iteration of iPhone is going to be some night and day difference from this model (obviously it'll have new bells and whistles but don't expect a major revamp). Add to that the fact that when iOS 7 (or whatever the next major iOS update is called) is released, chances are all of the features will carry over to the iPhone 5 as well, since it's still less than a year old.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox