*Will the iPhone 5s make you switch to the Samsung Galaxy S4?

Vicksy

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: *Will the iPhone 5S make you switch to the Samsung Galaxy S4?

Probably not. Never say never buy I haven't been a fan of Samsung phones to date. I don't like the plastic they use for their casings. Also they seem more throw-everything against the wall when it comes to features.

The HTC One interests me more.

Exactly my thoughts and Words, Rene! :) I have never been a fan of Samsung Galaxy series for the same reason. I like the HTC One, though, in terms of looks and features. I might have HTC one in addition to my iPhone but not as a replacement.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
*Will the iPhone 5S make you switch to the Samsung Galaxy S4?

Personally i believe Apple has nothing left!!!!!!! The samsung is gonna beat the cr*p out of Apple becasue the s3 did so with the latest leaked specs i am pretty sure apple gonna fall

This is the Apple forums. I think you were looking for Android Central...

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site

You'd have to assume that either phone will be a complete revamp, and IMO I doubt they will be. Either way, I'm holding onto my 5

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Personally i believe Apple has nothing left!!!!!!! The samsung is gonna beat the cr*p out of Apple becasue the s3 did so with the latest leaked specs i am pretty sure apple gonna fall

Anti-Apple people come here and spew this garbage constantly and are always gone by the time numbers are released and they were wrong. And if anyone believes Apple has "nothing left", I really can't say much but say I find it highly amusing.

crackcookie

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Anti-Apple people come here and spew this garbage constantly and are always gone by the time numbers are released and they were wrong. And if anyone believes Apple has "nothing left", I really can't say much but say I find it highly amusing.

While he is.....baseless at best he has a point. What he is trying to say is that the law of diminishing returns will hold true for Apple...which is why you see less and less ideas implemented not to mention, they often times bemoan something, only to take it up later. I wouldn't be surprised if they diss the Blackberry Z10 for being DOA saying LED's are dead on arrival....only to make an LED notification light up around the home button or something.

Anyway yea, diminishing returns, it just means the more upgrades the less you notice. The graphical jump from SNES to N64....huge, the jump from Wii to Wii U...not huge...visually. Even though it was still an impressive jump from a tech standpoint, from our eyes, it is hard to see.

Making a phone more powerful, with a smoother OS, and longer battery life, with a sharp screen, AND thinner....that is an engineering marvel. But, we as humans are bad at judging 2.4 millimeters or a few ounces...so these upgrades seem minor.

Anyway, back to the point...this topic is kinda silly. Will a phone of the near future make me not want a phone of the later future.....how can anyone honestly even answer that?

But all hypothetical questions aside we already know the deal. Samsung is about specs...which don't mean much to most people. If I gave my mother a European sports car...she would still go to church, go to work, and get groceries and back out of the driveway slowly.

The phone/car doesn't change who you are or what you do...unless it limits you. And no phone out from any competitor really limits you, besides a limitation of what apps you can download...but other than that; S5, Z10, Windows 8, i5S....they will all do what they were meant to do, just because another phone came out, doesn't mean they will suck or stop working.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

It's a damn Samsung at the end of the day! Sure it will have more and new features. Many iPhone users, like myself are already too attached in the apple ecosystem. Specially when you own iPads and MacBooks. Apple is beyond specs and features.

RoboWarrior

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

One should note, Apple always had a superior architecture for its processor especially in the GPU department. Realize the next Galaxy is probably going to be using the same GPU on the new iPad in a single core config. rather than a multicore config. Even now, the 4S outperform an extraordinary amount of devices with the new Qualcomm S4 finally being one of the few chipsets to outperform Apple A5.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm an x iphone junkie,,, had all of them including the 5,,,, then jumped ship and went to the Galaxy S3 and now have the Note 2,,,, love the GS3 and really really lovin my Note 2,,,, but I am waiting to see what the new GS4 is all about this Thursday and then I guess wait and see what the 5S or 6 is and has to offer,,,,,, I like both iphone and Samsung, so I'm just looking forward to seeing the next generations of both before I decide what to get next.

Cheers
Davyo

col_bris

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

It is what is inside the box that counts Apple has always delivered quality products

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

Let's be honest, Siri drove the 4S sales. Personally, I thought the hardware changes were great and well worth it. But I'm not everyone else. Apple will need another "Siri" for the 5S especially when the iphone 5 is already blazing fast with LTE, still sports one of the best cameras in a phone, and will be hard to improve much on in those aspects. So far I've heard fingerprint sensor and NFC. Not every exciting.

Of course, that's where iOS 7 comes in and the big hope that Apple has some sweeping changes along with ecosystem features.

For Samsung, it's the same android. Like with the S3, any new half baked features will be powered by bloatware from Samsung. The only thing the masses care about is the bigger screen as Samsung's marketing machine hums right along.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Let's be honest, Siri drove the 4S sales. Personally, I thought the hardware changes were great and well worth it. But I'm not everyone else. Apple will need another "Siri" for the 5S especially when the iphone 5 is already blazing fast with LTE, still sports one of the best cameras in a phone, and will be hard to improve much on in those aspects. So far I've heard fingerprint sensor and NFC. Not every exciting.

Of course, that's where iOS 7 comes in and the big hope that Apple has some sweeping changes along with ecosystem features.

For Samsung, it's the same android. Like with the S3, any new half baked features will be powered by bloatware from Samsung. The only thing the masses care about is the bigger screen as Samsung's marketing machine hums right along.

Wait so same old android but with a bigger screen? The almost describes what the iPhone 5 is, still makes it great.

Half baked features, that is what Siri was when first released. In androids defense it has changed a lot where iOS hasn't changed much recently.

So I'm not sure why your bagging on android for the same things.

Anyways i think I'll pass on the gs4 personally. I think it will be a nice device but I would rather have the htc one.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

No, have the 4a, great phone, if anything, I will prob upgrade to 5s.

crackcookie

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Wait so same old android but with a bigger screen? The almost describes what the iPhone 5 is, still makes it great.

Half baked features, that is what Siri was when first released. In androids defense it has changed a lot where iOS hasn't changed much recently.

Anyways i think I'll pass on the gs4 personally. I think it will be a nice device but I would rather have the htc one.

Exactly. They both fight the same way, it isn't anything mind blowing. This isn't like you are breaking a vow or anything, experience all the phones you can and if you come back it shows it was meant to be!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

I'm talking specifically Samsung features/software. Not android. One is bloatware. The other is an OS made by google. I'm not "bagging" on android.

The iphone 5 came with a new version of iOS. You can argue about Maps and whatnot, but it was an update from iOS 5.

The S4 will boast a version of android that debuted in Oct 2012 (along with nexus 4 and 10). Any Key Lime Pie update won't be seen til end of year or later depending on when Samsung gets around to updating its bloatware UI and ruining what's good about android. Any "new" halfbaked features of the S4 will be hardware and Samsung bloatware related. Not android.

Siri may be useless for some, but it did in fact drive 4S sales. Apple hammered it in every commercial practically. It's part of iOS. Unlike S Voice or whatever Samsung calls their bloatware version of Siri.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

This is good reading with excellent replies from both sides. Keep up the great work and thank you all for keeping it civil...:)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

While he is.....baseless at best he has a point. What he is trying to say is that the law of diminishing returns will hold true for Apple...which is why you see less and less ideas implemented not to mention, they often times bemoan something, only to take it up later. I wouldn't be surprised if they diss the Blackberry Z10 for being DOA saying LED's are dead on arrival....only to make an LED notification light up around the home button or something.

Anyway yea, diminishing returns, it just means the more upgrades the less you notice. The graphical jump from SNES to N64....huge, the jump from Wii to Wii U...not huge...visually. Even though it was still an impressive jump from a tech standpoint, from our eyes, it is hard to see.

Making a phone more powerful, with a smoother OS, and longer battery life, with a sharp screen, AND thinner....that is an engineering marvel. But, we as humans are bad at judging 2.4 millimeters or a few ounces...so these upgrades seem minor.

Anyway, back to the point...this topic is kinda silly. Will a phone of the near future make me not want a phone of the later future.....how can anyone honestly even answer that?

But all hypothetical questions aside we already know the deal. Samsung is about specs...which don't mean much to most people. If I gave my mother a European sports car...she would still go to church, go to work, and get groceries and back out of the driveway slowly.

The phone/car doesn't change who you are or what you do...unless it limits you. And no phone out from any competitor really limits you, besides a limitation of what apps you can download...but other than that; S5, Z10, Windows 8, i5S....they will all do what they were meant to do, just because another phone came out, doesn't mean they will suck or stop working.

Honestly I don't think he had much of anything going for him besides trolling. And like I've said in other conversations in these forums regarding Android vs iOS, software is more important than hardware specs. Of course a new phone on the market will have better specs than a device 8-12 months old. That's common sense but make no mistake, Android is no where near as polished as iOS at this point. You can take Android's latest and greatest device and still get it to lag and it's not due to that hardware. It's the software and this is not the case with iOS devices. So Samsung can throw out all of these impressive hardware specs but at the end of the day it doesn't mean much to someone like me who knows better. And yes I have Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 along with my iPhone 5 and iPad mini so before anyone tries saying I'm biased, I'm not.

wdiggums

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

A retina plus 4.8" iphone could make the HTC One or S4 look silly. the htc droid dna on verizon has a 1080i 441 pixel per inch display.... retina is 226 pixels per inch? you can bet the htc one which is an upgrade droid dna will have at least the same display. apple is no longer the king in that department, but a wide margin. i have an ipod touch 5 ( blue ) and the dna , touch 5 has retina and well dna has 1080i in a five inch display, there is no contest.I am not downing apple but it is time to stop playing catch up and start leading again.

wdiggums

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Honestly I don't think he had much of anything going for him besides trolling. And like I've said in other conversations in these forums regarding Android vs iOS, software is more important than hardware specs. Of course a new phone on the market will have better specs than a device 8-12 months old. That's common sense but make no mistake, Android is no where near as polished as iOS at this point. You can take Android's latest and greatest device and still get it to lag and it's not due to that hardware. It's the software and this is not the case with iOS devices. So Samsung can throw out all of these impressive hardware specs but at the end of the day it doesn't mean much to someone like me who knows better. And yes I have Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 along with my iPhone 5 and iPad mini so before anyone tries saying I'm biased, I'm not.
You are a tech fan , like myself. apple's apps are much easier to use like banking etc etc etc on the ipad and just work and well. android , a person can get deeper into the os retool refashion rework. its all a matter of preference, as for me i prefer being able to get into the nuts and bolts of my phones add files where i want them when i want them.

jvernwald

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I find myself becoming bored with my phone within a few months so, I'm constantly bartering and swapping to find my next device. I must say that I have never really been impressed with Samsung phones. I've owned the S2, Note and S3 just to name a few of the many. My largest complaint with all of these devices (and possibly just Android in general) is battery life... I've not owned the iPhone 5 but would like to. I read the posts on here about battery life and wonder if I'll actually see a difference.

When it comes to gizmos and gadgets.. I would have to say that Samsung is really trying to stay ahead of Apple... maybe with limited success. Apple and iPhone are known for their quality of build... Sadly, the same can't be said about the plastic, cheap feel of Samsung phones.

Who knows, maybe I'll hold the S4 in my hand and decide it's the perfect device for me! Or...maybe not.

abaggy

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Definitely not. Being a former Android "Fanboy" I was initially thrilled with the prospects of being able to customize my phone into oblivion. This thrill soon gave way to the fact that I was spending more time tweaking my phone than actually being productive with it. I've since moved over to my 4S and have not looked back. Like many have said in this forum, what I like is the tight integration between my various platforms (iMac, iPad and iPhone). Without question, the quality of the iPhone is head and shoulders above any of the Samsung products in fit and finish.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner