Does the next iPhone REALLY need to be thinner?

Should the next iPhone be thinner than the iPhone 5?

• Yes

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 50 86.2%

• Total voters

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually felt the iP5 was too thin as it was and while I liked the screen size increase, 4" is still too small. In a mobile world where the baseline smartphone is 4.5" or bigger and the phablets are selling very well at 5.5-6.1" I would like to see them offer two iphone sizes 4" & 5" for those who really want the screen. How about getting rid of the home button, its time to ditch that physical button and go touch on the screen, why not edge to edge display. Make better use of the space and don't waste it. Just because it was revolutionary in 2007 doesn't mean it still is in 2013. Time to innovate.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Does it need to be thinner? No. Will it be thinner? No. Expect the 5S to look exactly like the 5 in every way shape and form.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I would like the next iPhone to be
- Same height, including screen height
- Same thickness of the 4s to allow for an even better battery than currently (and my battery life is epic)
- slightly wider screen, maybe 5mm or so. Certainly no wider than 10mm. Ideally I would like that to be an edge-to-edge display but if that can't be accommodated, and I can see why it couldn't, then make the phone slightly wider.

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it needs to get any thinner. Maybe offer two different sizes for people who want a bigger, I myself do not! I'm fine with the way it is now.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
One benefit of thinness is that when you put a case on it, it's back to a 'normal' thickness, instead of feeling super bulky. That's what I like about the 5. Running an Otterbox Commuter feels just right.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP. the 4s is plenty thin for me. The 5s will probably be the sane thinness as the 5, but I hope the 6 doesn't get any thinner.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't really care about thinner but I wouldn't want it wider. I would have trouble using it one handed that way.

I definitely agree with this, but IMHO iOS could be designed to make the iPhone easier to use one handed with a bigger screen. Prompts and icon positions are 2 examples. Move prompts toward the bottom of the screen, and allow users to put the icons wherever they want instead of starting at the upper left corner.

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Does it need to be thinner? No. Will it be thinner? No. Expect the 5S to look exactly like the 5 in every way shape and form.

I really hope not, the reason that I am waiting isn't to see if the 5s will be thinner, but a larger screen. The 5 does have an amazing camera, but I was hoping for just a few more pixels added. Time will tell I guess...

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I think the iPhone 5 is thin enough, I prefer the 4S size over the 5, I would love to see an even better display and better speakers. Quad core processor clock high, so that my phone will last for 2 years. My iPhone 4S is doing good, but it definitely doesn't seem as snappy as it use to. However most of my desires are for iOS 7. Hoping they add the ability so people can customize their Home screens more. Open up a section in the App store that'll allow you to buy icon sets, maybe fonts. Allow you to delete all stock apps.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think it can be a little thicker but needs to feel thinner. For example, when holding an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4 side-by-side, the N4, while thicker, feels as thin, if not thinner, than the i5, largely due to its tapered edges.

Whoa, lots of commas!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have the iPhone 5, I can say for certain that the next iteration of the iPhone does not need to be thinner, in 'my' opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner