5C Digitizer not Responding to Touch

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
My daughter's 5C started acting up where it wont recognize her touch. First thing I did was remove the display assembly and made sure all the cabling was seated properly and securely. She has been known to drop her iPhone quite a few times. Only reason the screen hasn't cracked yet is because I was sure to get her an otter-box case from the day we gave her the phone.

Re-seating the cabling didn't help any. Next step was restoring her phone to factory settings and updating it to latest iOS version. That also didn't help any.

Exact symptoms are: if trying to press on the L key on the keyboard, it'll select the H key instead. Or in the home-screen, if trying to select an icon at the bottom, it'll select an icon at the top or something. It's random as to what touch it actually senses making the phone unusable.

Next and last step I think I will try, is getting a new display assembly for her.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Anybody experience this same issue?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you try the basics? Reset all settings or set up her fingerprints again?

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So I continued troubleshooting this issue and decided to take the display assembly from my son's 5C which is working fine and install it on my daughter's 5C. Turns out that while installed on my daughter's phone, I experienced the same issues. So I guess I can make a good assumption that the issue lies with my daughter's phone and not her display assembly.

Also, when I went ahead and installed my daughter's original display assembly back onto her phone and tried to power it on, it would not come on. So I'm also guessing now that her phone is bricked.

She would only use it while having a wifi connection because I never got her a cellular plan. It was a hand me down from my wife. We gave it to her when my wife upgraded to the 7. My daughter is only 9 yrs old and I never saw the need to get her an cellular plan.