Are there memory problems with iPhone5c?

I

iMore Question

A couple of friends were very disappointed with their iPhone5s because of memory problems. I'm about to buy a secondhand iPhone5c with 16GB. That sounds OK but I'd be grateful for some reassurance.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

I have had the 5 16GB and currently own a 5s 64GB as my second phone. I have had no memory issues with either phone. My wife still uses the 5. I am a heavy user of both my iPhone's. The 5c is also a very good phone. Formidable phones that we use on a daily basis.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! My wife had a 5c and had no problems with it. She loved it. She only got rid of it because we switched carriers.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
what memory problems are you referring to? Also issues with one line of phones dont mean another line has them.
5s and 5c are different product lines.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
what memory problems are you referring to? Also issues with one line of phones dont mean another line has them.
5s and 5c are different product lines.

Very good point! I had a 5s 16gb which I loved. However, because
  • I'm "app-happy and have a ton of apps -
  • because I save every single text, including ones that had pictures attached-
  • because I take a ton of photos-

I periodically ran into memory issues. Once I figured that out, I used dropbox, shoebox and finally google photos, I removed the photos from my phone. I deleted old texts, and removed apps that I didn't use, my memory issues went away. Granted, when I got my 6s I went the 64gb route.

Despite all of this, I loved the 5s, and my Mother-inlaw likes her 5c very much.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ah so in this case memory issues meant running out of space.

I was thinking memory issues like an actual bug or problem.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Memory is RAM. You refer to storage space. I had the 16 gb iPhone 5 for 2 years, and did ok. But I don't load up with music. I had 120 downloaded apps and had about 2.5 gb available. I put photos in cloud based apps like Box and Dropbox. Then delete from the camera roll. I keep messages deleted.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually Ram is a form of memory.. Random Access Memory. :)
So saying 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of storage are both forms of memory.

LoucyC

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I use iPhone 5s, 16GB for 3 years and now it often stuck up.
I have delete all the large Apps for music and videos, not useful but.

So, i turn to some freeware to clear up iphone, works a little, but still not enough. maybe i should try paid softwares.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
A good tip is to keep an eye on apps like Facebook and Twitter because there is memory leaking or whatever people call it. Yes I clear cookies and do reboots but often this is not enough. Usually once a week or 2 the FB app will grow to 500 MB's or more from cookies, etc and I find it a good practice to delete the app and reinstall it. THAT is the only way I have found I can greatly increase the overall storage capacity of the device. Yes this is a lot of work and most people don't want to bother, especially if you have a 32 GB model, but it sure helps on my 16. Do this with a few of the apps that "get fat" and you can actually free up a couple GB's

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A good tip is to keep an eye on apps like Facebook and Twitter because there is memory leaking or whatever people call it. Yes I clear cookies and do reboots but often this is not enough. Usually once a week or 2 the FB app will grow to 500 MB's or more from cookies, etc and I find it a good practice to delete the app and reinstall it. THAT is the only way I have found I can greatly increase the overall storage capacity of the device. Yes this is a lot of work and most people don't want to bother, especially if you have a 32 GB model, but it sure helps on my 16. Do this with a few of the apps that "get fat" and you can actually free up a couple GB's

Try just signing out of Facebook. Then sign back in. This deletes a lot of the cache.
This app can also delete cache.
Battery Saver - Manage battery life & Check system status - by lin tongtong
https://appsto.re/us/hUYK7.i

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Try just signing out of Facebook. Then sign back in. This deletes a lot of the cache.
This app can also delete cache.
Battery Saver - Manage battery life & Check system status - by lin tongtong
https://appsto.re/us/hUYK7.i

Thanks I'll check into this app. What I would also really like and I have tried a few but none of them work, is an app to let me know when my iPhone is fully charged with an audible alert, kind a like my BlackBerry did with "event sounds"

I might even start a new thread asking if anyone has successfully found one I just can't get them to work.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I'll check into this app. What I would also really like and I have tried a few but none of them work, is an app to let me know when my iPhone is fully charged with an audible alert, kind a like my BlackBerry did with "event sounds"

I might even start a new thread asking if anyone has successfully found one I just can't get them to work.

Can't you keep an eye on the % in the status bar? Most battery apps that offer any kind of alert requires the app be open while charging.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Can't you keep an eye on the % in the status bar? Most battery apps that offer any kind of alert requires the app be open while charging.

I'm tired of constantly checking. None of hem work as they are advertised. Yes I have kept the alert apps running in the background and they still don't work.

With my Blackberry, I am used to swapping batteries and carrying spares so I can keep running for days if I have to.

Sometimes it is the little things that make all the difference.