5c Longevity

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday i was so happy with my new Iphone 5c, i bought it from apple store and now im thinking about returning it.

Why?? Because i read that the Iphone 5s is future proof, the 5c is not

I read: Both the 5s and the 5c are competent today, but over the life of a two-year contract the iPhone 5s is going to be the reference device for developers while the limitations of the 5c will rapidly become clear

Apple is moving towards a 64-bit architecture in iOS. Today the vast majority of apps are 32-bit apps, and these run in compatibility mode on the iPhone 5s. As more developers move to 64-bit coding, the iPhone 5c could lose compatibility with many leading applications

Is this really true?? If i plan to stick with my phone a while, the 5c isnt for me? :(:(:(

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, 5c is nothing but iPhone 5 in plastic shell. I would recommend to change it for 5s in case it won't cost you much.

Also, it depends for which purpose you use your iPhone?

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I went back to apple today with my 5c and got the 5s for extra ?150 now im broke but the 5s is a lot better :redface:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you are able to afford it, the 5s is a good choice. The 5c is a nice device, but you will get at least one extra year out of the 5s.

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
So this means that the 5c probably wont get ios 9 or 10 while the 5s might survive long enough for ios 9 or 10?

fishhead_soup

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, why not drop and extra $50 and get the 6. If money is/was tight, you could have waited til mid November saving a couple bucks and the 1st price dip. (No guarantee on that dip though)

Sent using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The 5c is still a good phone. It will remain a good phone with the latest OS for at least 2 more years. And even if it does not get iOS 10, it will still be a good phone on iOS 9 for the remainder of its life.

fishhead_soup

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
is the 6 that much better then?

It sounded like your original post was more concerned with longevity. The 5s is a year down on a 4 yr OS support life span. Don't get me wrong, all phones mentioned are fine, in fact, I use the 5s and I have no desire to move on - yet. However, if you're going drop that much hard earned cash, wouldn't it be a beneficial trade off to hold off a month to have the newest phone and last thru an extra year of updates?

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
While I absolutely adore my 5c (Both of them actually), iOS 8 does not seem to be running all that smoothly on it. I kept one on 7.1.2 and the differences are obvious.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods